need some advice please help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rimmer

Apr 1, 2010
eastsussex
Hi all at the moment I'm waiting to move and most lightly to a flat so won't have anywhere for my shed / workshop so will have to scale down my tools a lot I'm intrested in metal work wood work leather work ect what would you suggest for a small tool kit for all things crafty thanks to anyone with sugestions or for just looking

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If you're used to some sort of a workshop, I think the most difficult thing would be not having a bench. Many boat layouts have the bunk double as a bench. Admittedly there's a bit of messing about to get the mattress out of the way while it's a bench, but it's better than nothing. You can store tools under it too. Don't let them go rusty if it gets at all damp under there. :)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
If you're used to some sort of a workshop, I think the most difficult thing would be not having a bench......

a good sized log makes a fairly decent substitute for a workbench, i've got a great big chunk of leylandii that i to use for all sorts of crafty things, i fixed some old carpert to the bottom of it so that it doesn't damage the floors and drilled a couple of holes in the top so that i can screw a vice to it. it's a good, cheap, very stable surface that i can drill/hammer/clamp/glue/nail etc. it works well for me

HTH

stuart

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Boats go underwater, ships go on top of water. This is the way described by some navies.

You're totally wrong with the naval definition... Just because some navies define a submarine as a boat that doesn't make every other thing that floats a ship.

A boat is a watercraft of any size designed to float or plane, to provide passage across water. Usually this water will be inland (lakes) or in protected coastal areas. However, boats such as the whaleboat were designed to be operated from a ship in an offshore environment. In naval terms, a boat is a vessel small enough to be carried aboard another vessel (a ship). Another less restrictive definition is a vessel that can be lifted out of the water. Strictly speaking and uniquely a submarine is a boat as defined by the Royal Navy. Some boats too large for the naval definition include the Great Lakes freighter, riverboat, narrowboat and ferryboat. The term armed boat, used primarily by English speaking naval forces, referred to any boat carrying either a cannon or armed occupants, such as marines.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I always thought that the difference was that a boat heeled into the direction of the turn when turning (kind've like riding a bike round a tight corner) whereas a ship heeled away from the direction of the turn (something to do with ship stability and moments and I can't remember what else), all to do with the dynamics of how they behave more than anything else...

That may just be idle scuttlebutt tho maties, y'arrrr!

I would like to see a 5000t 'boat' submarine piggybacking it's way home on top of a 5000t 'ship' frigate tho :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A "ships boat" is a tender to a ship - it is not a sub!
A "workshop" is somewhere to make things be it in a boat or on dryland - not somewhere to sell work (though sometimes you can buy things in a workshop if they do not have a shop where they sell their work) though can also refer to a practical seminar in a particular skill.
A "narrowboat" was originally a barge pulled by horses - but is now a cannalboat powered by engines whos power is measured in "horsepower"
"stump-work" is a form of woolen embroidery - not work done on a stump of wood being used as a workshop either on a narrowboat or a ship of the line (but stumpwork can be done in such a workshop).
A set of tools for a small work area in a small flat - I would recomend a B&D workmate and a table top that you can clamp onto said workmate , made from a sheet of MDF with a 4x2 screwed to the underside.
Worktop/vice/clamp in one packable package.
Add a plastic storage bin that will slide away under your sofa/bed and you can safely store alll your usual tools from drill and sander to knives and files, well out of the way :)
I hope that all helps :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE