Rucksack suggestions please

• Thread starter Deleted member 56886
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 56886

Hi all, I'm in the market for a rucksack, and was wondering if you could suggest a half decent make and model for <£100.
My requirements are:
50-80 litres
Water resistant
Good straps and backpad
Not to heavy, avoid metal frames if possible

Currently have a generic Blacks 55 l, and it's just so uncomfortable.

TIA

D

Deleted member 56886

These are what I've been looking at so far:

SOLOGNAC 50L Backpack for Camping - Green
£44.99

SOLOGNAC X-Access Compact Country Sport Backpack 45 Litre Treemetic Camouflage
£69.99

There is this one I like the look of, but I'd have to ask SWMBO bank if I can first
SOLOGNAC Modular Silent Country Sport Backpack 45/90L Big Game Green
£149.99

D

Deleted member 56886

I have had (and still have - used several times a week) a number of Lowe Alpine rucksacks over the years and have been very pleased with them. But they may be a little outside SWMBO's budget for you.
I've not had a Lowe Alpine one before, I've had the long back and Short back Bergens, LK35, Alice pack, Haglofs ShoSho, Rocket pack, Telemark pack. Haglofs was the best I ever had, but I stupidly sold it when I had a shiny shiny catch my eye. So I got given this Black's one, and it's cutting into my shoulders, waist belt is not supporting properly, and the tapered and shaped compartment makes it difficult to fit everything in.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
What about surplus? There are a few options if you don't mind DPM

Sent from underground

D

Deleted member 56886

What about surplus? There are a few options if you don't mind DPM

Sent from underground
I like the look of the first one. I've had the Long and shortback bergens, didn't get on with them

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
You can get side pouches to go on the Dutch rucksacks like our bergen ones but the zips go the other way. That would give you 65ish litres with the option to slim it down a bit if you don't need all that room

Sent from underground

D

Deleted member 56886

You can get side pouches to go on the Dutch rucksacks like our bergen ones but the zips go the other way. That would give you 65ish litres with the option to slim it down a bit if you don't need all that room

Sent from underground
That would be ample. Thanks
Its my sleeping bag that's the biggest item, snugpack basecamp. Want to get a lighter down filled eventually. Be smaller then too

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Sounds like a good plan! I have a Hawk 9 for colder weather and it takes up half my pack so I know what you mean!

Sent from underground

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Lowe Alpind Sting is a good bag. I see it’s already been recommended, and it always will be. Price is good, quality is good, detachable side pockets available to increase from 60-100l, adjustable back system.

Loads of reviews out there. Only downside for a lot of people is it’s predominantly only available in camo. There is an olive version, but they tend to be harder to find.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
All the sacks I like the look of seem to be nearly £300! Even my old aiguille alpine sack that cost about £80 now costs up to that and they're simply old school tech. When did rucksacks become more expensive than tents! Same with hard shells!

D

Deleted member 56886

All the sacks I like the look of seem to be nearly £300! Even my old aiguille alpine sack that cost about £80 now costs up to that and they're simply old school tech. When did rucksacks become more expensive than tents! Same with hard shells!
When Bushcraft became super popular and it got made elitist. Same with all the other things that most people would turn their nose up at 20 odd years ago.

I'm going to try the one @gg012 suggested, see how I get on with that.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Sting Generation 2 fits correctly with the British PLCE side pouches, should you be unable to get the original ones.

You can stuff your sleeping bag in the issued British bivvy bag to the bottom of the main compartment and on top of that a Snugpak Drisack 8 litres containing your spare clothing and very well serving as a pillow during the night. On top fits a Goretex suit, under the flap a British army roll mat.

I think in one side pouch you can put a German or British army mess kit and on top of it a British army field bottle, into the other side pouch should fit your tarp and on top of it a second bottle. Little pieces go into the flap pocket, the pretty handy British MTP utility pouches can be attached to the belly of the rucksack for more equipment should you need it and be able to carry that all. I think the British mess kit fits like the Dutch one into the British MTP bottle carrier if you want. The British MTP MOLLE pouches fit onto the belly of the Dutch DPM rucksack.

That is the most practical way to fit your equipment into a rucksack. And that's why the Dutch army Sting is in your budget the best recommendation, apart from the fact that it is very well adjustable and has a comfortable carrying system.

A polyester filling sleeping bag is bulky without any question but nevertheless the best choice in a rainy country. And your sleeping bag surely fits well into the Sting.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin

The utility pouch has additional under the Flap a collar with draw string closure, the bottle carrier hasn't and is slightly larger.

Currently out of stock here the side pouches:

With side pouches the rucksack looks like that:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE