Natural sandpaper?

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Possibly a stupid question but does anyone know of anything that you can find in the woods that works like sandpaper? I think I remember Ray using some when he did that program making a stone age bow but I can't remember what it was!

P.S dose anyone know why my profile pic and signature aren't showing up? SOLVED!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Back in the olden days a damp bit of leather and a handful of sand was used as sandpaper, but saying that it depends on the finish you want, all the top "cabinet made" pieces (ie made by a cabinetmaker) were mostly finished with a sharp flat bit of steel called a 'cabinet scraper'; sand(glass)paper was for rough finishes or for things that would eventually be painted.
Wagon wrights would use a leather cloth and sandstone of varying degrees of sharpness (sandstone and leather being what Ray used to sand down the arrows and (borrowed by the bower) the bow in the programme to which you refer

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have never used horsetail but folks that have tell me you want it neither green nor dry but in between. Japanese turners use it as a finish and it is equivalent to about 600 grit emery paper so its more of a finish polish than coarse remover of wood.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Japanese turners use it as a finish and it is equivalent to about 600 grit emery paper so its more of a finish polish than coarse remover of wood.
In Japan they also traditionally use pieces of charcoal as abrasives to polish metal, with charcoal from different woods equivalent to different grits. One of the guys I share a research room with is experimenting with some that he had sent over from Japan at the moment. One was magnolia, but we couldn't find an English name for the other.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE