N.E Scotland 2nd meetup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Bigfoot it would be great to have you along mate, and I hope yourself and pandabean can get the time to come and enjoy yourself in the woods for a few days.

Craig

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Great news folks I have now got the go ahead for the Haddo park meet which is on Friday the 22nd April - Sunday the 24th of April

If we can start the list from here and if there is anything in particular you want to do well see what we can sort out.

1. CBJ

Thanks

Craig

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I will try and come along to this meet during the day on the Saturday, It would be great to meet up with some local bushcrafters ! Have pencilled it in to next year's diary .
Cheers,
Doug

Sounds good CBJ. I will see if i can arrange that friday off when I get back to work.

I was having a think about what could be covered during the weekend, while I was shovelling the snow and failing to start my car this morning!

Would Bow making be of interest, i guess the trouble would be getting someone who knows how to make one.

What was covered in the last meet?

Dingus Magee

Loitering within tent
Nov 22, 2008
Darkest Aberdeenshire
Hi CBJ et al I've pencilled the dates in my diary and will hopefully be able to manage to get along for the whole week-end this time...will confirm attendance ASAP I'd be interested in bow-making too but, as Pandabean points out, trouble would be in getting someone to teach it. Lawrence from BV might do that, but there would be a chatrge, albeit at a discount for our group...likewise Mark from the Archaeolink has run courses like this in the past. I could ask him, as I see him every day at work (when we're not snowed off, that is) Shelter-building would be good too.

Anyway, great to hear from you and good to have something to look forward to for next year.

A'ra best lads

DM ;)

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hey folks,

sorry I havent replied sooner but this bloody snow has kept me busy from morning till night so I havent had had much time to get on the forums :(

Pandabean: Great suggestion mate that would be something I would be realy interested in. Though like you all have said we would need to get sombody on board.

Last time we did: Knife sharpening, setting up a tarp, some knots, Chance and kilted pict gave us a great lesson on star ID, Charles showed us how to make a penny stove and make bannock, we made a group table (Chance, dont say anything LOL), pot hanger, and when the missus brought the bunny (which i forgot :-* ) we skinned and butchered it. I am sure we did other things but I cant think what at the moment.

I will give Dingus a PM and see if we could arrange something RE the bow making.

Craig

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hi CBJ, I could do a cordage demo, from willow bark, as April is a good time to do it, if you think the group would be interested.
Cheers,
Doug.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Thanks Osprey that would be great, I would certainly be up for that. I have done cordage with nettles with good results but I havent tried with any other materials.

Craig

I used to shoot for the University archery team a few years ago, however it was on a modern recurve bow. But if we do go ahead with bow making I can help with how to shoot etc.

One thing i have learned a little about in the last year is some of the stories behind the constellations. So I can tell them if you want.

What about also looking at Birch tapping, would that be the right time of year for it? Something I have wanted to try since reading about it on here.

warthog

Nov 24, 2010
dunkeld
Hi, not been to a meet before and would like to attend (depending on childcare), if car passes mot would be able to offer lift from Perth area if anyone needs, John

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Hi folks.

At the moment I am rostered on duty that weekend, but will look to get some AL.

If it's the right time of year, I like the sound of Birch Tapping, otherwise some axe work or the chance to practice sharpening skills.

Will keep an eye on the thread...

ATB

KP

Last edited:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Yeah, I desperately wanted to go but again, was working (I work every second weekend). Would be good to hear and see what you guys learned.

KP

I think April would be too late for birch tapping. I did some a few years ago in March. There is only a two week period of manic sap-rising. However, the winter may be late in finishing, so perhaps the sap-rising will be later too. The place I did the tapping is at the back of the country park, so I could try tapping a birch there during the week and if the flow is plentiful, we could all have a go at the weekend.

Is anyone intersted in whittling? I have done a bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE