Myyyyy Northstar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
just out of curiosity

why is the puukko your fave?

i love your collection, all using and used knives, thats what its all about :super:

the NS burl looks a beaut, i am still waiting for mine to arrive

Tant

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
thanks odg been waiting to see a northstar and ws side by side to see how big it was in comparison now i just cant wait for the fox river to get here :wave:

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Mine arrived today and im sorry to say i got of to a bad start with it.

I slipped it onto my belt and after about an hour i realised my finger was bleeding ,on closer inspection i discovered the blade tip had cut through the stich's and was protruding about a quarter of an inch out of the bottom of the sheath ,just enough to slice across my trigger finger !
I like the shape of this sheath much more than the picture of the proper sheath but this one is of little use with the knife tip exposed !!

The finish is not perfect and the red spacer has epoxy between it and the tang which kind off spoils the effect and looks very amateurish.
The lanyard loop is also a little rough round the edges and the finish could be better.

As others have mentioned the grip feels a little small ,i have quite small hands and it still feels small.
The blade is great ,it did not arrive amazingly sharp but i give it a quick strop and it improved greatly.
I like the blade shape and grind and the thumb grip is pretty good ,however the shape of the handle is all wrong for me and i find it very restrictive

I made a few feather sticks ,battoned a log and a few other bit's and pieces of whittling then sliced some vegetables and it performed these tasks well but it's no Woodlore.

All in all pretty disappointing after all this time and all the anticipation ,i will give it a full workout at the weekend and hope it grows on me but i wont be carrying it until i get a proper sheath........ :roll:

rb

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
I too sliced the temp. sheath in the first couple of uses, with the tip poking through about .25 - .5 inches. Had to be very careful of just how far I was shoving it into the sheath, and would certainly not wear this before getting a better sheath for it.

It arrived extremely sharp, and I had no issues with that aspect of the knife.

There is a slight gap between the tang and the black spacer on one side, and the foremost mosaic pin feels a little rough on both sides of the handle, one side in particular feeling more rough.

I like the light feel of the NS against the rather too heavy feel of the WS, but that could just be cos I'm a girl... :)

Still, the proof of the pudding, as they say, so I'll try both out this weekend and reserve judgement until then.

As for the Puukko being my current fave knife, it's because of it's lightness and versatility. I often forget I'm wearing it on my belt (a problem when you walk into Tescos), and I can use it for every task when I'm out in the woods.

I find the wide blades of the other two knives I've used regularly to be too much for me when performing tasks like feather sticks or carving spoons.

I'm looking forward to trying out both knives and finding their best performance for my own skills and abilities.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Sorry to hear that RB, looks like it wasn't the best of starts, as you said!

I haven't experienced any problems with the knife cutting through the sheath, and it is just about perfect fit. It may well grow on you, but if the level of workmanship is below what you would call acceptable, Mike may well take it back and repair/replace. Mike's famous for his service!

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Jake said:
if the level of workmanship is below what you would call acceptable, Mike may well take it back and repair/replace. Mike's famous for his service!

It was a cheaper knife than say my WS Woodlore so i guess i cant expect the finish to be as good (my Woodlore was first class although i believe some of the first ones where not ?)
There was a lot of hype about this knife and a long wait ,to eventually get the knife and it not be fantastic is a little disappointing but you pay your money and take your chance.
I do think that the sheath supplied (even a temporary one) should provide adequate protection.

Im not saying it's not a good knife but i don't think it's a great knife.
If i lost my WS Woodlore tomorrow id order another ,if i lost my North Star i can think of several other knives id replace it with.

I hope the new sheaths come soon and i will give it a chance to prove itself but i really don't think it will become my EDC.

rb

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
dono if i mentioned mine came through the bottom of the sheath in the first ten mins to.. that was a little dissapointing as i like it more than the "big sheath" but i think i will try and fix it up... im really pleased with the knife though!

rapidboy said:
Mine arrived today and im sorry to say i got of to a bad start with it.

I slipped it onto my belt and after about an hour i realised my finger was bleeding ,on closer inspection i discovered the blade tip had cut through the stich's and was protruding about a quarter of an inch out of the bottom of the sheath ,just enough to slice across my trigger finger !
I like the shape of this sheath much more than the picture of the proper sheath but this one is of little use with the knife tip exposed !!

The finish is not perfect and the red spacer has epoxy between it and the tang which kind off spoils the effect and looks very amateurish.
The lanyard loop is also a little rough round the edges and the finish could be better.

As others have mentioned the grip feels a little small ,i have quite small hands and it still feels small.
The blade is great ,it did not arrive amazingly sharp but i give it a quick strop and it improved greatly.
I like the blade shape and grind and the thumb grip is pretty good ,however the shape of the handle is all wrong for me and i find it very restrictive

I made a few feather sticks ,battoned a log and a few other bit's and pieces of whittling then sliced some vegetables and it performed these tasks well but it's no Woodlore.

All in all pretty disappointing after all this time and all the anticipation ,i will give it a full workout at the weekend and hope it grows on me but i wont be carrying it until i get a proper sheath........ :roll:

rb

Perhaps Kydex should be in order!! :wink:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Optional? If that is the case, I'm glad I went with the sheath that I did. But, I'll wait and see what happens. Mike's reputation says he will do right with the crummy sheaths, so we shall see.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
There are two sheaths coming up. A free replacement, and an optional one. With lots of fancy features.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Im suprised its happened. I couldn't see how i'd go through mine :?:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
well this is how it happens..
DSCF0084.jpg

DSCF0083.jpg

DSCF0082.jpg

sorry they are really big i dont have time to crop them right now.. anyhow you can see how it comes through beside that bit of leather which it in the middle of the stitched part supposed to stop this happening!

i should also make it clear that i really could not be happier with the knife its self, its is excellent! and the service from Mike and Joe was/is second to none!
it should also be pointed out that this is a TEMPORARY sheath and is not the one supposed to sold with the north star!
in short BRK&T ODS and The North Star are great, and i would certainly recommend them and have already ordered a second knife from them!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Oh, i thought you might have a different one from me. Don't worry mate, not too long to wait before the replacements start coming in!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE