Myyyyy Northstar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Jake Rollnick said:
:rolmao:

Ummmmm...a paddle?

I think the knives are stunning. They fit perfectly, the look perfect, the feel prefect, and a perfect price. I think this is one of the things that disprove Plato's realm of the forms. Its a perfect form!

I still find the sheath a bit oily, the oil seems to get everywhere.

Jake, my understanding is that there is too much tallow in the leather, which is causing the greasy/oily problem. I was given the choice between the original sheath with pouch and the temporary replacement, which was what came with the knife I ordered and I happily took the original. Did you get the card off so they can send you the new sheath when it's ready?

I received mine today and couldn't agree more with your assessment of the knife. I usually like a hefty handle to hold onto, but this knife fits my hand like they were made for each other. I think it's the design of the handle that does it and not the size. It's balance is good as well and it's fit and finish are second to none. Not a blemish on mine. Did a bit of work with it and it handles very well. I'm very happy with the purchase.

Thanks Mike for making such a beautiful and functional knife. I'm very happy with the North Star and the service from Black Squirrel was top notch.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I haven't sent it yet, i was thinking that i would pm Joe my adress instead of posting a card.....Still, the knife is still awesome, even with the oily sheath!

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
I think the North Star is a gorgeous knife, I have one very similar to Jake's... Antique Ivory Micarta, Mosaic pins, Red liners. It arrived razor sharp.

I have one problem with it though. I need the next size up. I can only get three fingers on it :cry: it's just too small for my great bunch o'banannas.

Life is soooo unfair sometimes.

Tony

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Myyyyyy VERDICT!

I spent the last day in a place on a hill side just outside Llangattock near Crickhowell (Wales), and i took both Bison and NS. Both performed excellently, equally i suppose! But the NS is an awesome knife, all round, every task it performed! I was meant to but a disposeable camera in Crickhowell, but i forgot :roll:, i was planning on doind a picture thingy with them and then scan the pics onto my pc. By Bison didn't get as much use cos it was a wee bit tight in the sheath, and i have a broken thumb :roll:, suprising how much you use thumbs!

Great weekend!

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
I agree, the NS is an awesome performer. Took mine out this morning and did some chopping, peeling, whittling, feathering, gouging, drilling, slicing, dicing, etc., :shock: :super: I forgot my camera as well.

I added an ugly paracord lanyard strap to the handle, because I kinda figured and as it happened, I was right that it would come in handy with the chopping part of the testing and in fact, kept the knife snug in my hand through other chores as well. Moving the hand to the rear of the handle, I looped the LS around my ring finger, which kept my hand from moving forward while chopping and gave me a more weight forward balance, which adds to the blades ability for that particular chore. It didn't take me long to become comfortable with handling the knife.

leon-1

RA, I can honestly say that this is probably one of the ugliest sheaths that I have ever seen, it maybe functional, but there is no requirement for it to look that bad. I hope that this is the temporary sheath because that is a monster and for the money you pay I would expect more :?:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
leon-1 said:
RA, I can honestly say that this is probably one of the ugliest sheaths that I have ever seen, it maybe functional, but there is no requirement for it to look that bad. I hope that this is the temporary sheath because that is a monster and for the money you pay I would expect more :?:

I couldn't agree more, it is an ugly sheath, no doubt about it, but it is functional and that is a serious plus in my book. I agree, it could have been done up better, maybe the new sheath will be a bit more purdy.

It is the original sheath that came with the knife, but wasn't what Mike ordered or wasn't up to the quality that he expected. Either way, it is why the replacement sheath was used on later production knives.

Yeah, money is money and it's usually tight in our neck of the woods, but a sheath isn't what I paid for. I'm happy that the knife is as good as it is and the ugly sheath will house it until I get the other to replace it. If it's ugly too, I'll eventually replace it too. :wink:

I'd prefer a horizontal sheath and will eventually have a custom made up for the knife anyways.

leon-1

RovingArcher said:
It is the original sheath that came with the knife, but wasn't what Mike ordered or wasn't up to the quality that he expected. Either way, it is why the replacement sheath was used on later production knives.

Yeah, money is money and it's usually tight in our neck of the woods, but a sheath isn't what I paid for. I'm happy that the knife is as good as it is and the ugly sheath will house it until I get the other to replace it. If it's ugly too, I'll eventually replace it too. :wink:

Well that's a fair statement, I look forward to seeing the Northstar in its new home when it arrives and from what I understand the new sheaths shouldn't be too far off as I believe it is also to be used with the Fox River when they are released :biggthump

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
You guys are too harsh, i don't think the sheath is all that bad......

:wink:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
The only 'wrong' thing with it is perhaps that it's round in the bottom. The most important I guess, is that it's funtional as Rovingarcher says. :pack:
Now I don't dare to post a pic of my Grandy, when that's done. :roll: :shock: The sheath for that is going to be much more ugly. :yikes:

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Dont you mean that the function of it is fine as you still have a knife in it!! :eek:):
Llangattock,Jake, is one of my stamping grounds I'll keep my eyes open for a northstar with ivory micarta next time I go :rolmao:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers Bushwacker! Nice to know i have back-up! I was staying on the "Hillside" in a place called Dan-y-coed.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
OK, since I got my mitts on it today, here's mine:

5knives-a.jpg

From the left:

Buck skinner (had it for years - great skinning knife)
Buck Vanguard (nice skinner/jointer)
J-Line Puukko (my fave knife to carry so far)
New North Star! - Black & Brown Elder burl, mosaic pins
New WS Micarta Woodlore

I've not tried either the North Star or the WS Woodlore yet - but I'm off on a course this weekend so will take them both and see how they do!

I'll try to get more pics up after the course.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE