Myyyyy Northstar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
They haven't said yet. Couln't be all that much, and it does sound very cool.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I would like to see it. Vertical and horizontal carry (they read my mind on that one), probably will be round bottom so it is ambidextrous as well. Removable firesteel pouch, kydex liner all sounds a bit like the Blackhawk sheath that I bought for my USAF PSK. Either way, sounds very interesting.

I wonder if the knives cutting through has anything to do with the tallow soaked leather. Any of you that own it care to give an opinion as to why it's happening?

I'll be removing the arm coming off of the original sheath that I have. Will make it much less ugly and not much less functional. :wink:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Jake Rollnick said:
Have you spoken to mike?

No ,i undid the stitching myself and i think glueing the leather before it's restitched should work.
Im sure Mike is under enough presure getting the new ones out ,i dont like the look of the other sheath so i hope this one can be made good.
I just think the knives where rushed out and QC is down as a result.
The knife is not as well finished as i like or as i expected but it does it's job.

rb

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
tomtom said:
DSCF0083.jpg

That's just how mine went but it was on my belt at the time and i didn't realise until it had already "bit me" !!

How's the finish on yours tomtom ?
I think mine is a little rough ,but i am fussy even about a working knife.

rb

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
It's not perfect on mine, but well within what i call acceptable.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
These pic's are rushed and not great but .....

The spacer is messy with excess epoxy underneath it in some places.
407_0726crop_1.jpg

Rough edges around the lanyard slot.
407_0718_1.jpg

Off centre hole in rivot.
407_0724_1.jpg

These are minor imperfections but i dont expect them on a "quality" knife.
It feesl as though it was rushed out and a little more care and attention to details would have made it really good.
I also don't expect the sheath to fail the first time i carry the knife (even if it is a temporary one).
I think i paid around £60.00 for it and i just think there are better finished knives available for that sort of money.
I used it again tonight and it's a fine blade for kitchen duties but i find the handle way to small for anything more ,pity as its a good blade.
Is there a larger version ?

rb

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
thats dissapointing for you RB :cry:
Mine has thuja wood and mosaic pins and is flawless,with the exeption of the finish on the inside of the lanyard hole which is similar to yours.I have smallish hands but find it pretty much a perfect fit.It doesent 'chop' down trees,but its not designed to,It does batton well and so far does everything I want it to and well :wink:
I think the problem with the sheath is the white machine stitching is not at a high enough tention.I unpicked and re-stitched the whole sheath when mine went thro'.With Tight (black) saddle stitching in place I deliberately tried to over sheath it and it wouldn't go through but settled on the weldt. :biggthump

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
bushwacker bob said:
I unpicked and re-stitched the whole sheath when mine went thro'.With Tight (black) saddle stitching in place I deliberately tried to over sheath it and it wouldn't go through but settled on the weldt. :biggthump

That's what i intend to do ,i was going to have a bash tonight but i can't find the :***: needle.
I was going to glue mine first though.
I had thought about ading a fire steel holder but i can't find any leather either !!

rb

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
rapidboy said:
How's the finish on yours tomtom ?
I think mine is a little rough ,but i am fussy even about a working knife.

rb

put it this what there "nits i could Pick" if i wished too.. it is not what i would the handle finish as on yours not 100% perfect.. and the lanyard hole is a little rough like yours, however this was not an expencive knife as they go, and these are not things that worrie me in the slightest!.. to my eye the blade and cutting edge are perfect and over all i am most pleased (and will be even more so when i have a useable sheath, which i feel confident i will have soon!) :wink:

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
My hands are smallish and fit the handle well in all grips except the chest-lever where the hook on the handle digs into my palm

The blade shape and edge are excellent though - and its acquiring a lovely polished finish from my leather belt and flitz stropping (not a Starkers to be seen :rolmao: )

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I have a question, what is a chest-lever grip? The reason I ask is that I've done about everything I can with the blade and I thought I had gripped it in every way that I possibly can for wood working and I havn't felt it digging into my hand at all. Is there something I'm not doing that I should be doing? :wink:

Finish on mine isn't flawless, but it isn't worth a nitpick either. I was able to compare my knife to another ivory micarta and they were the same, but they were different at the same time. What minute (flaws?) were on each knife made them different from each other, so are they flaws or are they character, giving them an individuality? :eek:): I guess it's all in how we prefer to view it. :wink:

The blade is fantastic, the edge cuts like a demon and the point drills like a bit. I have bataned the knife by striking the spine and I have driven it point first into a dry oak log. I feel it's worthy of a bit more than kitchen duty, but of course the wife says it's perfect for kitchen duty. :lol:

I removed the firesteel loop from my sheath with the NS and without any push/pull cut, it slid through the leather like it was warm butter. I've a feeling that the NS will require a liner of sorts in it's sheath (I prefer rawhide) to prevent cutting through it. Which, in of itself, is a testimony of sorts to the knife.

I don't know what you all are considering a smallish hand for handle fit. I wear a size large glove, which by today's standards might be small and the handle fits my hand very well. Perhaps how some view the fit of the knife to their hand is based on what they are used to? :?: A friend with smaller hands than myself was afraid to use the knife hard like it's meant to be used. I asked him why and his response was that the handle felt small in his hand and after quizzing him a little more, it turned out that he didn't like the fact that it didn't have a guard and he was almost afraid that he would cut himself. To his credit, he doesn't use this sort of knife much. He's used to a blade with a much larger handle and a small guard. I shared with him how to use the loop of the lanyard strap and he quickly lost that unsure feeling. Not that this is what anyone here is experiencing. It was just an observation with my friend Dave and thought it worth sharing.

Knives are like bows, guns, a favorite walking staff or anything else. We each have our likes and dislikes and no matter how good something is, if we don't like how it feels in our hand, or how it shoots, etc., we aren't going to like it.

Rapidboy, have you contacted Mike so that he can take care of the nitpicks for you and continue his excellent record of customer service?

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
RovingArcher said:
I have a question, what is a chest-lever grip?

Best I can do is find this link to spoon carving techniques on the Pinewood Forge website - about 2/3 of the way down - it's called the scissor cut on there

Imageine you're holding your knife with the thumb on the flat of the blade, edge pointing towards your knuckles

This uses the big muscle groups in the shoulders to effect the cut so is very powerful (these muscules get used a lot when sculling, so my cuts are veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery powerful :rolmao: )

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
RovingArcher said:
Rapidboy, have you contacted Mike so that he can take care of the nitpicks for you and continue his excellent record of customer service?

No i have not contacted Mike ,the "minor imperfections" seem to be common enough then i guess mine is no different from the others.
I will be selling mine on when the new sheath arrives as i don't really see it has anything to offer more than my existing knives and they are finished to a higher standard.
I have looked at some close up pics of the higer spec knives ,perhaps they are finished better ,mine is the basic model.

rb

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE