Myyyyy Northstar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Those are the temporary Sheaths. Just as well as I wrecklessly pushed the knife a little too hard and split the stitching :yikes: . Mine is shaving sharp straight from the box.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Stew...Why would i need my name and adress, i've already invested in enough safety precautions...... :shock: :p

RovingArcher it is like the WS micarta. It's smooth but does feel grippy, even when wet, so no worries there!
When do the real sheaths come out?

Cheers.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Yes, the sheaths are the temporary ones but indeed much nicer than the 'snow shoes'.

Yes, my woodlore needs to be battered a bit more, but I still have my Frost Mora Triflex to wear out (which is not an easy task).

The William Henry folder is a WH Yucatan limited edition with Silver and Gold decoration (it's my posh knife).

Cheers,

Lennart

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
bushwacker bob said:
Those are the temporary Sheaths. Just as well as I wrecklessly pushed the knife a little too hard and split the stitching :yikes: . Mine is shaving sharp straight from the box.

i did that too.. dont think i was being particularly reckless though.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Squidders said:
Ok, I know i'm going to get beaten for this but... Am I the only one that thinks the northstar is really ugly? :?:

I don't think I could own one.
I don't think it's ugly but I just don't like the shape. :wink: The handle looks a little too square and I don't like the convex bevel. :roll:
So I guess you could say you're not the only one. :)

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
i think the northstar was designed to be first and foremost a tough user knife

beauty as always is in the eye of the behoder

but i would rather be stuck somewhere in the woods holding a northstar than a SAK

and it is about £120 prettier than one of RMs woodlores :lol:

(just my opinions, please do not be offended)

Tant

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I wouldn't say they were ugly but they're not the best lookers around.

The bit I'm dubious about is the lanyard loop on the back. I'm wondering how many people will be asking Mike to grind it off for them.

jamesdevine said:
I think it's the Spear point if thats the right term it throughs it off. It looks in the photos be very elongated. But that could just be the photo.

My Thoughts
James

Then you may like this model:
Mike%20Stewart_fox-mini-mikrob-g.jpg

the new Fox River which should start appearing in about 2 weeks time. It features a Drop Point Hunter blade, fatter handles, Heavier in weight, and a broader blade which are the noticable differences right off the top. Also the tang is not tapered like that of the north star.

You can order them with or without the lanyard attachment. Without you can get them with a lanyard hole in the handle.

The Spearpoint is used more for bushcraft use and was widely requested, but the Fox River may appeal to others that don't like the spearpoint.

cheers,
Joe

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
As Tant says, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

To me, it's not a spear point since that should have mirror symmetry (i.e. the top curves down the same amount as the bottom), but that's just an irrelevant observation!!!

Yes, they do seem smaller in the, err, flesh but are an ideal size for me - it's as if my hand was used as the template for the handle!

And I find that the convex gind makes the knife very agile and controllable in wood - I was able to cut the curves in the piece of scrap pine below free-hand using just slicing cuts. The flat grind on my scandis like to cut in the direction you started them off at. Of course that's no bad thing, just different!

curves.jpg

("Can you tell what it is yet?")

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
:rolmao:

Ummmmm...a paddle?

I think the knives are stunning. They fit perfectly, the look perfect, the feel prefect, and a perfect price. I think this is one of the things that disprove Plato's realm of the forms. Its a perfect form!

I still find the sheath a bit oily, the oil seems to get everywhere.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
That would be a pizza paddle andy ;)

Lurch, after my investments in the latest tracking gear, the question should be "how long before you find it?"
:wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE