my woodland Mega shelter

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
What you will find is that you get damp from below - not from the soil, but moist air from your body condensing in the bedding (and carpet) below you. This is difficult to deal with (unless you sleep in a hammock). Look at getting something like pallets under your carpet layer, so that air can circulate.

This was my biggest problem when living under canvas for any length of time, even in winter with the stove going full on the damp from below wasa pain, either try the sub floor (and post the results, I for one would be very interested) or be prepared for a lot of drying out as part of the morning routine.

I still think you need to look at preventing the soil inside and immediately outside from becoming sodden and trodden into mud - the UK climate is very good at producing mud. You are obviously good at weaving green wood - what about weaving something to go in the doorway so that people don't tread the soil into mud?

I found stepping stones worked well. :)

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
great work josh nice and roomy well done, re the floor issue (if there is one) think birds nest, a real good layer of small branches, twigs then bracken etc, then your final covering of carpet if you wish. of course long term it will have to be replaced periodically, just a thought :)

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
The only problem with pallets is that they can attract rodents. A pal of mine had a similar setup but that unmistakable scurrying sound beneath my feet sounded like rats. He laughed at my wussiness but I didn't want to see some rat pop its head up when I'm preparing food. Eeeew.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I think some of you might be overlooking a vital factor when it comes to condensation etc. That is the woodburner, which will warm the shelter and evaporate any condensation out through gaps/holes in the cover.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Woodburners do a great job of drying out shelters.

If you don't have an air gap under your bedding, they won't help there.

Having to run your woodburner throughout June/July/August because of heavy rain really sucks.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
looks cosy! wouldn't mind something like that myself i must admit!
if you can grab one i'd suggest one of those army cot beds, alternatively make one? this'll keep you off the ground and keep you dry without having to worry about mats and suspended flooring etc?
loving it otherwise :D

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Nice shelter.

Get some straw on the floor and knock some duck boards together - like pallets but with smaller gaps between the planks.

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE