My 'Quinze' snow shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I made this shelter today, i never thought it would turn out this good. Suprising what you can do in Britain...

To make the shelter i just kept on piling up the snow into a big domed mound. I didnt have a snow shovel so i had to use a kids sled to shift the snow. Once the mound was big enough and snaped correctly i let the snow rest and freeze for probably about an hour. Then i cut lots of sticks to about 30cm long and stuck them in the outside at 90 degrees to the surface. I could then scrape out the inside. When you scrape past the ends of the sticks inside, you know to stop digging in that area, you end up with an evenly thick wall. There is room enough for 2 people to sleep inside this one. It took a long time to shift the snow to make the mound because we only have aout 4 inches of snow here... those of you with about a foot of snow would be able to make one quicker i guess. Hope this is inspirational. If you were going to make one just be carefull the walls dont collapse in onto you, it could be dangerous... Read up on the propper way to construct these shelters first, i didnt cover everything in this description... Its not rocket science though. an air hole should be made and a burning candle offers light, some heat and a warning if carbonmonoxide is building up.

A good layer of spruce boughs on the floor inside provide excellent insulation from the cold.

Have fun and take care! :)

quin1.jpg

quin2.jpg

quin3.jpg

quin4.jpg

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Fantastic, I remeber seeing this on Ray Mears.

Suppose we have the right weather for it now.

Where did you put your air hole?

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Great! nice to see that a few other people have tried this and opthers are going to try it... post pics here in this thread if you like.

I didn't sleep out in the shelter last night. I didnt know wheather to trust the shelter or not being as this was my first one. In the morning i checked on the shelter and found that the roof had sunk slightly. There is'nt really enough room in there now to be comfortable and i guess its not really safe. Next time i'll build it higher with a more perfect dome shape. That would be my advice for anyone building one. The shape of the structure needs to be pretty good to support its self from what i can see. In the ray mears book it says 'a dome 3m wide by 2m high.' and you should have a cold well in there too... which i didnt have. It was good fun to make anyway! Thats what its all about unless its a survival situation.

Rory McCanuck

Dec 25, 2009
Manitoba, Canada
I didnt know wheather to trust the shelter or not being as this was my first one. In the morning i checked on the shelter and found that the roof had sunk slightly. There is'nt really enough room in there now to be comfortable and i guess its not really safe.

The roof has just settled. The more it settles, the more like solid ice (and stronger) it becomes. So long as the roof doesn't get too low to be comfortable, it should be fine. If you can climb on the roof, it is strong enough, if you can't, it was dangerous and needed to be demolished :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE