My New Damascus Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I bought a beautiful blade from Wayland at the North Meet a few weeks ago. I promised to post pictures of it when I finished it. I took some pictures as I made it and thought I’d share them here with you all.

The blade has a Damascus back with a forge welded high carbon steel cutting edge. So, it is incredibly sharp with a hard edge and a really strong back that will resist shattering.

The handle is a piece of spalted birch that I have been saving for something special.

I started with the birch by drilling a hole down the length and making it about half an inch longer than the half tang that the blade has. I then put two jigsaw blades side by side in the vice and worked the handle back and forth over them until the drilled hole had become a slot. I kept fitting the tang for size and when it was half an inch or so short, I clamped the blade in the vice and whacked the handle the rest of the way with a mallet.

It was at this point I decided to get the camera and take photos.

Here is the blade fitted into the handle block.

knife14.jpg

Notice the pencil outline of where I am going to cut.

knife18.jpg

knife19.jpg

This is the handle after the first cut. The back and belly of the handle are shaped. The sides are next.

knife20.jpg

knife21.jpg

Once again I have marked a cutting line with a pencil and use that as a guide on the bandsaw.

knife22.jpg

Here’s the sides cut to profile.

knife23.jpg

knife24.jpg

I’m testing it for a basic fit. If it were too large in my hand now would be the time to remove more wood. As it is, it feels fine.

knife25.jpg

knife26.jpg

At this point I taped up the blade woth about six layers of masking tape as I’m going to be handling the blade as I work on the handle.

knife27.jpg

I use a power file to round the handle off roughly. It saves loads of time but needs practice to avoid taking too much wood off.

Once I had the rough shape it was over to the dremmel to smooth the surface of the handle some more.

knife28.jpg

knife29.jpg

When the knife sits comfortably in my hand, I don’t remove any more wood. I use a fine grade of sandpaper then to get rid of any scratches left by the rougher power file. Once it is smooth, I work on it with a dry brillo pad just to make it silky smooth.

knife31.jpg

knife32.jpg

knife33.jpg

At this stage I paint it with linseed oil and go for a cuppa while it soaks in. After half an hour or so, I give it another coat and rub it well in with a rag. Then I remove the masking tape from the blade and look for the first time on my new creation.

knife35.jpg

knife36.jpg

knife37.jpg

I usually whack some beeswax furniture polish on the handle as well once the oil has soaked in then buff it with a duster.

knife38.jpg

knife39.jpg

I have a sheath to make for it now and that is a task for later in the week. I’ll post a photo of it completed when I have done the sheath.

knife40.jpg

I think I will keep this one as a working knife. It would be a shame to put it somewhere on display. The work that went into making the blade can only be complimented by putting it to use at every bushcraft opportunity.

Eric

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
Great job Eric, I can't wait to get started on mine, but since the blade is to be a Christmas present I've a little while to wait. I'm trying to get hold of a special piece of wood for the handle, the bit you gave me is great, but I'm after something that will match the historical context of the Tirpitz blade, even if it's not as pretty.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Eric, that looks absoloutely stunning, congratulations. Your handywork never ceases to amaze me, but this time you have surpassed yourself.

A beautiful knife.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
absolutely brilliant eric. i cant decide which i like the look of the most, the blade or the handle? each are fantastic on their own but together............I cant describe how good they go together :You_Rock_

tom

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Eirc,

Unfortunatley I missed out on seeing these blades at the Meet (thanks for posting the pics), they look awesome.

It was sad to hear that maker had passed away.

Your skill and mastery of the handle on this one is a beautiful tribute to him and his work.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Thanks Eric
any thoughts I had of trying to make my own handle for my blade have gone out of the window now I have seen what you have done. Alas I simply dont have the talent to make something like you have which has equaled the beauty of the blade. Its a most fitting tribute to the maker.

I think I need to find me a skilled handle maker.
By the way, is that the Birch from Emberglow used for the handle?

Impressed as always
Mr Strop

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE