My mini survival kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Ok I found it this is the reason that airport security are able to confiscate items such as sellotape and hammocks:

Any article to which section 4 of the Aviation Security Act 1982 applies:

a. any firearm, or any article having the appearance of being a firearm, whether capable of being discharged or not;

b. any explosive, any article manufactured or adapted (whether in the form of a bomb, grenade or otherwise) so as to have the appearance of being an explosive, whether it is capable of producing practical effect by explosion or not, or any article marked or labelled so as to indicate that it is or contains explosive; and

c. any article (not falling within either of the preceding paragraphs) made or adapted for use for causing injury to or incapacitating a person or for destroying or damaging property, or intended by the person having it with him for such use, whether by him or by any other
person."

the last bit 'part C' allows just about anything to be confiscated :shock:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Ducky it would be a shame for you to lose your mini kit trying to get it onto a plane. These days airport security are alittle over the top. Its not a great hardship putting in your hold luggage. I was taken aback as I had not seen any notification that paracord could be against the rules and i had had no problem flying from Gatwick. The NI guy explained in was to conform was US rules. I wouldn't try arguing your case too strongly either. Morally right and banged up for the night for irritating the security folks is not the best way to start a jolly.

I thought others on this site would be interested in my experience at the security desk. I don't fully agree with their rules but if I want to travel I have to follow them.

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hi, Stuart I´m here again.
I have the same kit in around my neck but instead of use cord to hang capsule I use one wiresaw covered with latex tube so you get two more items to this ligth EDC survival kit.
One questions I use Fox 40, is your tornado as loud?, where can I get one?
Enjoy

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Stuart said:
I designed it with foreign travel to remote places in mind....

Cheers Stuart- it's good to understand the rationale - helps it all make sense, especially the point about other people needing to be able to use it.

Alick :biggthump

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Aviation firestarters are great with synthetic tinders but aren't much use when it comes to natural tinders (birch bark and fluffy seed heads can be lit using it but anything else is almost impossible). The tinder tabs are great to include in a kit though.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
faca said:
Hi, Stuart I´m here again.
I have the same kit in around my neck but instead of use cord to hang capsule I use one wiresaw covered with latex tube so you get two more items to this ligth EDC survival kit.
One questions I use Fox 40, is your tornado as loud?, where can I get one?
Enjoy

Hi Faca :wave: where have you been hiding?

I have some wiresaw wire covered in latex tubing which I used instead of the cord (great minds think alike) but I found after a while that it was not as comfortable as the cord as it had little flexibility.

so I removed it as I wanted a kit that I did not notice whilst carrying, I do cover the cord in latex tubing sometimes though.

the fox 40 is a little louder than the tornado but the frequency of the two is different.

The first important factor of a good whistle is how loud it is, but this is not all.
human hearing is most sensitive to a frequency of two kilohertz (2kHz) so the whistles volume at this frequency effects how far away it can be heard.

FOX 40 classic
Total volume: 84 dB
Volume at 2kHz: less than 25 dB (cannot accurately measure below 25)
Findings:
This whistle has the loudest total volume, however the volume at 2kHz is very low

Acme Tornado
Total Volume: 78.3 dB
Volume at 2kHz: 38.3 dB
Findings:
This whistles total volume is lower than the Fox 40, but its volume at 2kHz in considerably higher

so its a bit of an academic argument as to which is better but the tornado is also compact (half the size of the fox 40) and flat in shape, which is why a chose it.

the tornado whistle in the mini kit is also highly luminous (glows in the dark) you can get a luminous version of the Fox 40

the tornado is manufactured by:

www.acmewhistles.co.uk

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
My most important consideration when choosing a whistle is how hard I have to blow on it to make a decently loud sound. If you have to blow hard to make it heard, then you are expending a lot of energy as well as running the risk of hypocapnia. Some of the plastic whistles I've tried are too hard to blow, imo.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Stuart said:
the tornado whistle in the mini kit is also highly luminous (glows in the dark) you can get a luminous version of the Fox 40

the tornado is manufactured by:

www.acmewhistles.co.uk

Hiya,

I've had a look on the acme website but I can't find a luminous version of the Tornado. Where did you get yours from? And on ather note, have you tried the Acme rescue whistle? as it seems to be designed for rescue (i.e. not made of metal and easy to blow)

Cheers,

Martin

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
yes i have used the rescue whistle (I dont have the test results for that one at hand) it is easy to blow though not as loud or as durable as the tornado

they dont mention the luminous version on there website but if you ask for it they will supply

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hi Stuard, I have being surfing in USA webs and many of them are makers windows.
I think here there are more usefull techiques in survival and bushcraft so I return home.
Sorry Stuard but I can find Tornado Whistle in the link you show, any other.
enjoy

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Have you thought of replacing the scalpel with an AG Russell "ultimate penknife"?

These things are absolutely tiny, but are true working knives made of high end materials. Closed, the dimensions of this little knife are: Length = 50.8mm, hight = 14.5mm, thickness = 2.56mm.

agr1.jpg

agr2.jpg

It says on the site...

The largest order so far (at the Blade Show) was for almost 20 of these.

That's not true. Thier largest order came from BritishBlades and was for 33 knives. If there is enough interest, you might want to give a bulk order a go - they worked out at just over £10 each. Not bad for VG10 steel and titanium handles.

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Stuart said:
thanks martyn i'll look into the AG Russell :biggthump

If you want a play with one Stuart PM me (here or on BB) and I'll send you mine for a week or so. I keep mine in a leather key fob made by Guycep as they are VERY easy to lose, but they are ideal for small emergency kits.

:)

Danzo

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
........and what I meant to add is that the Sebertech M4 Sebertool is an excellent addition to any kit, even if just to complement and back up the Wave.

https://ss39.shared.server-system.net/~sebertech.com/m4.html

These things are also tiny butr very functional. I don't think that any of the big boys of the multitool world make anything which packs so much stuff, including good pliers, into so small a package. The M4 folded up will fit inside the casing of a Zippo lighter!

:shock:

Danzo

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
well if you want cheap containers that you won't miss, keep an eye out for aluminium cigar tubes with plastic plugs, you can cut them down to a length that suits.

i've recently got a couple of the superb K&M matchsafes thanks to schwert, :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_ the aluminium ones do indeed make great neckcord survival kits. :biggthump

off on holiday in a few weeks, to take the kit on the plane, or not take the kit :?:

cheers, and.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Danzo said:
If you want a play with one Stuart PM me (here or on BB) and I'll send you mine for a week or so. I keep mine in a leather key fob made by Guycep as they are VERY easy to lose, but they are ideal for small emergency kits.

:)

Danzo

thanks danzo

I'm going to be away for a few months but i would be intrested in seeing one when iget back

I have an old M2 tool

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Stuart said:
thanks danzo

I'm going to be away for a few months but i would be intrested in seeing one when iget back
Sorry to read that Stuart. tell me which one and I'll send you a cake with a file in it :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hi, Stuar her my mini PSK set up.
Cord is threathed so more cord and mor confortable carry.
I use the TAD GEAR "cheap" capsule and into it:
SAS compass
Matches
Firesteel
hooks+fishing line
Water purificator pills
Cotton all
0.5 metres or bras wire.
Whistle I use the smiler one I have find Survival Inc.
Flash: ARC, waterproof, strong and cheap batery.I fixed to the capsule to avoid noised and movement with two toric rubber gaskets and it allows me to turn on/off without unfix them.
enjoy
cooking005.jpg

cooking006.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE