My mini survival kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
there have been a number of discusions about survival kits on this site since it started, and there is one going on at the moment so i thought i would show mine.

I used to carry the tobacco tin style survival kit when i went traveling but found that even though it was pocket sized it often got left behind, I never did get to use it but it did help me 'survive'...... just not the way it was intended, i came off a motor bike on a gravel path in a suger cane field in mauritius.
after i had stoped sliding and wriggled out from under the bike i found a huge hole in the thigh of my trousers but I discovered much to my relief i had been sliding on the tin (which left a lovey rectangular bruise) and it had protected my leg.

this pretty much destroyed the tin and prompted me to make a more compact kit that would not get left behind

this is what i now carry then traveling abroard:

P1010016.jpg

the anodized aluminium tube which hangs around my neck holds the kit safely inside and is o-ring sealed, there is a whistle and photon torch attached to the paracord (both the whistle an the cord are Luminous ), I also always carry a leatherman wave.

this is the kit unpacked:

kit.jpg

there is a threaded o-ringed cap either end, one end gives accsess to the main conpartment of the tube the other gives access to a smaller area containing potassium permanganate which you can see in the top right of the picture

This is a close up of the main compartment contents:

skit.jpg

from left to right

top row:

1. two compressed silicone/petroleum impregnated cotton tinder bundles each burns for about a minute

2. 10 varnished strike anywhere matches

second row

3. short length of stainless steel wire (wrapped around the kit so when you pull on the wire the whole kit come out of the tube)

4. glow in the dark whistle acme tornado model

5. photon torch

6. button compass (luminous )

7. fly (with artifical bait below)

8. two fishhooks tied onto a meter of line each

9. leather needle

10. candle

11. fire steel

12. surgical blade (also used as striker for fire steel, suprisingly gives an impressive shower of sparks!)

13. and of course you have the potassium permagnate in the other compartment for water purification, anti fungal, fire etc etc

note: i would not normally class fishing stuff as necessary for a mini kit but i had spare space and it fits so i put it in

Hope you all like it :)

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Super kit Stuart! It's really impressive that you can get so much into such a small space!

I think that the container is really impressive ... do you know of anything commercially available that's anywhere near as good as it?

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
the tube is comercially available from triple aught design in the US, this model i belive has been discontiuned but is still as far as i am aware available in black

its expensive mind!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Is it possible to carry small amounts of water in the container, in an emergency...?! Super kit! :biggthump

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
TheViking said:
Hi...

Is it possible to carry small amounts of water in the container, in an emergency...?! Super kit! :biggthump

liquid is uncompressable and so if you need a liter of water its going to take up a liter of space

you could fill the kit with water but it would be pointless as you would only have half a sip!!

you can get water sealed in little packets from marine suppliers or anyone who provides equipment for life rafts

but it is better to learn how to find it

How did you compress the tinder into little pellets?

the tinder pellets come from the US airforce firelighting kit, they are very maluable hold there shape after being compressed, i put the tinder bundles into the tube and compressed them with a pencil unitll the took on the shape of the tube, then i rolled then in my fingers to make then slighty smaller than the tubes diameter so now they drop in nicly

they are also so heavly loaded with silicone/petrolum/beeswax that they ignite even when wet, and unlike products loaded with petrolum alone they are dry to the touch and leave no residue in the tube

when you need to use them you pull the bundle apart and it turns into a fluffy ball that lightsfrom the slightest suggestion of a spark and burns for 1 minute 17 seconds on avarage (my own testing)

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Perhaps those ordering the matchcases could do the same sort of thing although I think it only has one compartment.

Just a thought.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Great mini kit Stuart.

Looking at the container it might be possible to re-engineer an old mini-maglight body into something similar, or maybe even design something from scratch. Any idea the sort of price you might be talking about from the states?

Dave

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Stuart said:
liquid is uncompressable and so if you need a liter of water its going to take up a liter of space

you could fill the kit with water but it would be pointless as you would only have half a sip!!QUOTE]

Oh, yes, but for transporting water from one area to another... :wink:
But guess it would be a little slow... :biggthump

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I've had one of these TAD capsules now for over a week and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with it. Mine is slightly different to the one pictured by Stuart above (they don't seem to make that one any more) and is black hard anodized rather than silver. Everyone would have their own idea of what should go into the kit and mine is still in a state of flux but I do have a few things to report:

The quality of this container is impressive and far exceeds what it needs to be! The O-rings are excellent and the overall build and quality is similar to that of a Surefire torch. The threads have to be felt to be believed!
It's waterproof. I don't have access to water of any depth but I can't get any water in there. I think it would be waterproof to 100 m.
The space, although it sounds small, actually isn't. As I've said, I'm in a state of flux as to exactly what I'll have in mine eventually but I currently have matches, a small firesteel, a hacksaw blade, brass wire (with stainless wire on the way to replace), a compass (brass button but I'm awaiting a plastic one), a needle, fishing kit, a small tube containing potassium permanganate and tinder.
I've replaced the neck cord with Blackhawk 550 paracord that I just got from Jack at Woodland Organics. I have a length about 90 cms, which means if I take out the core I have nearly 9 m of cord (excluding the outer) for doing things with.
The capsule isn't a pain to wear. I've worn it all day since getting it and I don't notice it any more.

I'll keep you posted!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Adi are you going to post a pic of your kit?

What firesteel are you using with it. I'm looking for one for mine but can't find one the right size.

Stuart do you keep the permangate loose in the small compartment? i couldn't tell from your pic. Mine currently holds matches candle compass. surgical blade.

i can't decide what tinder to keep in it. So many choices. Btw its a top bit of kit only gripe is the annodised coating is a bit thin. i keep mine in front pocket attached to my belt. Loose change has marked it.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Yeah, I need to take pictures of it ...

I took apart a small firesteel of the type found in the NATO matchless fire starting kit (a thin rod seen here http://www.bcbin.com/store/cat_military.asp?idproduct=21&idCategory=20 ). I removed the metal frame that surrounds it.

Stuart keeps the pot permang loose in the bottom compartment whereas I decided to fill a little pipe I had and plug the ends with cotton wool and a dot of hot glue.

Mine is still most definitely a "work in progress" :eek:):

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Small (literally) question,

Above and in virtually every listing I've ever seen for a PSK they suggest using a "small tube" for PP/salt/oofle dust/whatever. Where does one obtain "small tubes?

I've never seen anything small enough to cram into my baccy tin.

Sources or suggestions please.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I'll let you into a secret as to where I got my tubes from ...

... ready ...

I took apart an old kitchen spray bottle (the type that holds cleaners and disinfectants). The tubes I use came from a antibacterial spray gun since I thought that this was likely to be the least nasty of that I could find. I rinsed it real well with water and pulled a bit of cotton wool through it a few times (using a bit of fishing line) and let it dry. I plugged one end with cotton wool and a dab of hot glue and then carefully filled the tube (by digging it into the pot permang), then, add a cotton wool plug and another dab of hot glue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE