My mini survival kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I think this thread is worth a bump up.

In all the discussion of matchcases and faca's comparison to the TAD capsule I was glad that Stuart reminded me of this one.

I keep looking at the TAD capsule, but now that I find myself well equipped with K&M matchcases I may just make myself a small kit like Stuart's...primarily to see if I could tolerate wearing one around my neck.

This also gives me an excuse to braid a neck cord.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Great Pebble said:
Small (literally) question,

Above and in virtually every listing I've ever seen for a PSK they suggest using a "small tube" for PP/salt/oofle dust/whatever. Where does one obtain "small tubes?

I've never seen anything small enough to cram into my baccy tin.

Sources or suggestions please.

I use tiny zipoloc bags myself.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
anthonyyy said:
I use tiny zipoloc bags myself.

The small bottles that hold the soy sauce in sushi boxes are good too. Loads of uses in PSK's but also to just stuff inside a mess kit. In no particular order, I've got ones full of PP, salt, pepper, seasoning, dried mixed herbs, honey, tobasco, sugar, olive oil, detol, and Pristine / Aqua Mira parts 1 and 2 separately.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
NickBristol said:
The small bottles that hold the soy sauce in sushi boxes are good too. Loads of uses in PSK's but also to just stuff inside a mess kit. In no particular order, I've got ones full of PP, salt, pepper, seasoning, dried mixed herbs, honey, tobasco, sugar, olive oil, detol, and Pristine / Aqua Mira parts 1 and 2 separately.

You clearly eat a lot of sushi then :D

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi,

I just wanted to say how much I’ve enjoyed this tread. Since reading the SAS survival book at 15, I’ve been looking for a beta light to put in the tobacco tin! It took me 20+ years to find one by which time I was not prepared to pay for it and it didn’t look like it would fit in anyway! All my childhood illusions shattered. I put together the rest of the tin last year and it has given me great pleasure since. It’s nice to have somewhere to share this fetish as everyone who has seen it thinks I’m an axe murderer.

The whole concept takes me back to the adventure belt I had when I was ten. A camera, penknife, drinking bottle, magnifying glass I think, I’m struggling now, anyway I used to run around all day, it was great. Anyone else have one?

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
If you have any friends that work in laboratories they generally have a huge variety of plastic screw top or flip top centrifuge tubes or cryovials. They run in the 0.5mL to 3mL sizes and are perfect to hold Potassium Permanganate for a kit. I use Corning cryotubes. Getting these on your own is difficult as they generally come in 1000 unit bags and are available from chemical/biological supply firms....a local hospital lab, water quality lab, blood bank, or environmental analysis lab may be willing to fork over a handful if you stop by.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi,
I’ve read this thread so many times; it brings out the kid in me. I wanted to make a kit up for myself from being little but just didn’t have the resources. But when this interest resurfaced in me a few years ago I put one together in a lovely old tobacco tin. I’ve never used it but it gives me great pleasure.

I’m sure someone else has done this to death but a 35mm film container seems the perfect home for a mini kit. I think the old Ilford ones are best as they are stronger with better lids. They’ll take a match and scalpel blade length and everything else is adaptable. Plus as they are free, you can make up one for every rucksack/bag/car/bike/pocket!

The other container that I want to use is the kind of small metal box you get those tiny mints in at petrol stations. They’re about 2”x1.75”x0.5” with a hinged lid. The plastic insert comes out very easily leaving a lovely little tin offering huge opportunities to recapture my childhood.

Anyone have any other suggestions for free containers.

AJB

If you know anyone who works in a doctors or hospital, get them to get you some sample tubes. The clear ones with the white screw top lids are 90 x 23 mm, and by their nature are fully waterproof! :D
Also, the paracetamol tubs you get with cheap paracetamol in them are good.

Neil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE