My hand forged tomahawk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
Heres a project ive been thinking about making for some time so got to it the other day.

Ive tried to keep it as primitive and natural as possible.

It took some hammering to get the head flat on thisbut was fun to make.

I differentially quenched the edge and the hammer which left the middle hot,i then placed it on my anvil to cool so the heat ran into the edge and hammer and self tempered which worked out well.

I hand forged it and only used a grinder to take off a couple of bumps and i used the belt sander to finish the bevel and hammer.

I carved the shaft out of Ash by hand,fire hardened the wood and treated it with linseed oil.

I wrapped the handle with wet jute and then let it dry which tightens it up,I waxed the jute with pure bees wax,i then sealed both ends of the jute using pine pitch.

I hand drilled a lanyard hole and inserted the brass tube without using any glue,i added a plaited lanyard of Jute.

The cutting edge is 2" and the length of the hawk is 15" with the shaft.

Before.
029-1.jpg

Got the forge set up and fired up.
002-19.jpg

004-18.jpg

The hawk is starting to take shape now.
007-13.jpg

Quenched and tempered.
009-4.jpg

And finished.
010-4.jpg

011-5.jpg

little hammer instead of a spike.
012-8.jpg

Handle wrapped with jute,waxed and finished off with pine pitch,trying to keep it real.
014-8.jpg

015-6.jpg

016-7.jpg

i couldn't help myself.
017-5.jpg

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
Well i had to give it a little test run so here's what i did.

Split some willow using the hawk and a baton,this is the reason i didn't want a spike because i wouldn't be able to baton, the wedge shape works very well for splitting wood.

018-4.jpg

Made a feather stick.
002-20.jpg

Some of the wood i split.

003-19.jpg

for only having a cutting edge of 2" this hawk split this log down like a champion.

019-3.jpg

Used the back of the hawk to strike flint.

009-6.jpg

I did get a lot more sparks from the flint but after about ten tries of my Wife trying to catch a good picture i gave up as id have no flint left.

008-14.jpg

Striking a ferro rod.

004-19.jpg

Got some crazy sparks and if i couldn't light a fire with this then there has to be something wrong somewhere.

005-15.jpg

I am sold on Hawks and am thinking that there isn't much you can do with a knife that you cannot do with a hawk,in fact i think a hawk is much more versatile from what ive seen so far.

I also think i could gut fish and game no problem with this hawk, Add a folding saw and your good to go.

The blade is hair popping sharp as i gave it a strop last night.

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
This is the first time ive made a sheath for an axe or hawk.

I went in search of an old weight lifting belt i was given so i could make my sheath.

So i stripped the belt down and made a sheath for my hawk.

The leather for the main sheath is 6mm thickwhich would have been hard going to cut but my whittling knife seen it off no problem.

006-13.jpg

I used the holes that where already in the leather but widened them out on my drill press.

I also ordered some imitation sinew which dropped through the letter box as i was making the sheath which was cool.

I tried to keep the sheath as natural as possible but had to use leather glue and a rivet i found im my Wife sewing basket

So what i used was leather,imitation sinew,glue,a rivet and antler.

Heres a pic of the rivet.

007-14.jpg

And the sheath.

006-13.jpg

005-16.jpg

I sandwiched a piece of L shaped leather in between to hold the hawk in place and stop the edge cutting the sinew.

004-20.jpg

003-20.jpg

002-21.jpg

Last edited:

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
Nice one mate, that looks alright.

How does the edge hold up?
Well i gave it a good workout chopping and splinting wood,i cut a few cardboard boxes up with it and cut through some leather and it was still popping hairs,so not bad so far but i think it could do with a little more testing.:)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Well i gave it a good workout chopping and splinting wood,i cut a few cardboard boxes up with it and cut through some leather and it was still popping hairs,so not bad so far but i think it could do with a little more testing.:)

Aye, use and experience are the best ways to find if something works well or not. Hope it pulls through for you. :)

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
That's great!
happy0034.gif

I've become more interested in hawks after seeing Vec's work on BF and DT and yours is excellent, versatile and traditional.

Love the mask too, very well done.

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi Sticks,
That's a great hawk. Can I ask: how much does it weigh? I have a couple and often the weight determines whether I take them out far.
Atbgoodjob
G

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
nice work :) Certainly carries the 'frontiersman' theme well ;) are you going to make a knife to complete teh set?

I'm not the only one to have got the axe/hawk bug recently then :D I'll take a pick of the two i finished today and put them up soon. I keep meaning to make a nice light hawk, but I've just got this fixation with hatchet-weight heads for some reason :rolleyes:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
That is spot on!Im really liking that, and the fact its recycling at its best..Good one.
I may attempt one soon and this thread has inspired me.

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
nice work :) Certainly carries the 'frontiersman' theme well ;) are you going to make a knife to complete teh set?

I'm not the only one to have got the axe/hawk bug recently then :D I'll take a pick of the two i finished today and put them up soon. I keep meaning to make a nice light hawk, but I've just got this fixation with hatchet-weight heads for some reason :rolleyes:
Funny you should ask that Dave,a friend is going to send me some antler and i think i am going to make a antler handled knife to go with the hawk.:)

Ive wanted a Hawk all my life and have been making knives for a few years now,both forged and stock removel but i enjoy making forged knives more,anyway i thought it was about time to get on and make a hawk.

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
That is spot on!Im really liking that, and the fact its recycling at its best..Good one.
I may attempt one soon and this thread has inspired me.

I really like re cycling old carbon steel and the original hammer used for this hawk was well over 80 years old.

Glad your inspired because that makes this thread worth while.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE