My first post and pictures of kit (PIC HEAVY)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Hi all im am new to this site and just wanted to start off by sharing my pictures of kit with you. I am a novice of bushcaft and hope in the many years that lay before me i can get to understand the amazing things that a individual can do to thrive without a sole in sight.

I would love it if you would comment on my kit and ask me questions about it if you want. In the list below i will state all info i can remember on my kit.

Knife: Cold steel Bushman with added paracord lanyard and duct tape handle grip. I have also used a Lanksy Standard sharpening kit to maintain the angle to 25 degrees.

IMAG0452.jpg

IMAG0450.jpg

IMAG0447.jpg

IMAG0460.jpg

IMAG0459.jpg

Rucksack: BCB 35litre Daysack
Rollmat: Multimat premier 10mm MOD green

IMAG0444.jpg

IMAG0446.jpg

Cooking: BCB crusader system (osprey) (From outdoorgb.com with free firestick and 10 liquid sachets) Oh i nealryforgotthose small spherical are snus tobbacco tubs which hold cotton wool and the black one holds fresh tobbacco snus which is a great nicotene substitute for smoking i got the habit of my norweigen ex girlfriend.

IMAG0457.jpg

IMAG0458.jpg

IMAG0453.jpg

Poncho/Tarp: DD Poncho(£17 delivered. Bloody bargain amazing quality and bigger than military issue in both UK and GER) In the righthand side pocket of the bag if wearing it.

Sleepingbag: Snugpak Sleeper extreme £35 stupidy warm but stupidly big! Im only 10.5 stone so bulk is very welcome and worth the weight.

IMAG0456.jpg

Barnett Slingshot: Really great and comes with ammo and replacement band in a kit from ronniesunshine.co.uk pretty cheap and loads of fun.

IMAG0454.jpg

Binos: To be honest i dont know what make they are and dont care. They are the absolutly brilliant and received them as a present of a grandma years ago but they surprise me everytime i use them. Really good lenses but the came with a outer rubber grip has perished and i gave replaced with duct tape. Wouldnt sell them for £50 and probably cost £20

IMAG0461.jpg

I hope you likemy post im sorry if it was a bit long.
Would love to meet some like minded people in the yorkshire area to sharethis great countryside.
I have a youtube channelalso if youwant to share a video with me its

www.youtube.com/tbrowniscool

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Hello there and welcome. Thats quite a good selection of kit you have there,not so sure about the knife,but we all have our tastes. Have you had much chance to use your kit? Cheers.

Daz

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Yeah i know im off ones. It will be used alot then i assure you, weather looks a bit crazy but am going with a real good mate of mine. Hes a MMA bloke 20st of Shoalin trained death haha but he knows a thing or two about this stuff, i laugh when he tells me he was reject from Army for being over BMI limit..

Last edited:

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Yes i have used it quite alot i know it looks stupid but when i recieved it it had no grip at all.... Its made from a single piece. Apart from looks every review i have read worldwide has said it is the best pound for pound blade for survival. Its a bit crude but there literally nothing to go wrong and the hollow design mean you can put a few corks either end and store a fire stick or basically watever you want. I would trade it for anything else right now.

i Have not had a chance to use most of my kit as i just got it delivered from outdoorbg a few days ago. I am going for a few days and nights in the woods surrounding a res near harrogate as i have mentioned above and am using the opportunity for a full field test. Bit concerned about the ridiculous weather with no tent but have seen a few tarp vids and hopefully wont need that snugpak bivvy icant afford! I will post the pictures on here nevertheless.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
thats a good kit mate ^^ mabya kit list of all the gear in the bag soon? but over all very good, welcome to BCUK

Inside the bag is just clothes and food. I have the metabolism of a border collie so pretty much constantly eat. Never put weight on which is annoying in cold weather as it get to me pretty fast if not prepared

Ive picked my kit as well as i could thanks for the compliment

rickyc

Jan 24, 2010
shifnal
Good kit there mate

Just get yourself a rucksack cover - you'd be sleeping in a wet sleeping bag if it rained while your on the move!

I learnt that the hard way lol

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
as above, good start, good manufacturer choices. need a tarp, and bivi, and also a rain cover for the bag or a rubble bag around the sleeping bag, as stated above, you'll be sleeping in a wet car sponge if it rains on it. have fun tho.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Good kit there mate

Just get yourself a rucksack cover - you'd be sleeping in a wet sleeping bag if it rained while your on the move!

I learnt that the hard way lol

The BCB 35 LITRE has a camo water cover in a pocket underneath. I am thinking of using my dd poncho as my tarp? is that enough.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I don't know what size the DD poncho is but a test setup in your garden or local park will let you know if it covers you and your kit well enough.

Everything looks like good quality gear but i'm a fan of bigger bags and keeping nothing strapped to the outside, that way I can just use some reasonable dry bags inside my pack. Not saying you're wrong or i'm right, it's just my personal choice.

I atually like the look of your knife and having some gaffa tape to hand is an extremely good thing for anyone to have.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
I don't know what size the DD poncho is but a test setup in your garden or local park will let you know if it covers you and your kit well enough.

Everything looks like good quality gear but i'm a fan of bigger bags and keeping nothing strapped to the outside, that way I can just use some reasonable dry bags inside my pack. Not saying you're wrong or i'm right, it's just my personal choice.

I atually like the look of your knife and having some gaffa tape to hand is an extremely good thing for anyone to have.

Its bigger than a standard poncho at 2.4m x 1.4m so i think it wil be enough. Saying that i might buy a cheap tarp and use the poncho as a ground sheet.. What tarp would you recommend.?

I only have a 35l bag so that i can use it for everyday tasks as well. The raincover just about fits over the sleeping bag when no mat is strapped to the bag.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
If cost is a concern I'd get something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Army-Surplus-...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item3a62ce794a for the groundsheet and continue with the poncho as a cover... or if you have more to spend, go for a bivi bag - army goretex ones are ok (though I don't get on with bivi bags generally).

Not only will a bivi bag make a good ground sheet, it keeps your sleeping bag dry, keeps wind off you, helps to keep your mat under you and if its hammering down with rain, you can just roll your whole lot up as one waterproof sleep unit.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
If cost is a concern I'd get something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Army-Surplus-...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item3a62ce794a for the groundsheet and continue with the poncho as a cover... or if you have more to spend, go for a bivi bag - army goretex ones are ok (though I don't get on with bivi bags generally).

Not only will a bivi bag make a good ground sheet, it keeps your sleeping bag dry, keeps wind off you, helps to keep your mat under you and if its hammering down with rain, you can just roll your whole lot up as one waterproof sleep unit.

Thanks for the advice its looking like its going to be really wet and windy so a bivvy looks like the clever option. Im not sure which would be better a Snugpak Bivvy or a snugpak stratosphere hooped bivvy. Cost isnt really a massive issue since i broke up with my ex im back living with the parants and alot better in money terms.

btw will a standard size rollmat fit in a bivvy?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a thermarest trail 4 regular mat and it fitted in the stratosphere I had for a short while.

I don't see why a multimat wouldn't fit too.

The other nice thing you can do with a bivi bag is have your feet sticking out from under your poncho which will give you shelter for admin and to store your bag under.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE