My first attempt at a hiking staff.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
This is work in progress and I welcome your feedback, comments and ideas.

This is my first attempt at a hiking staff or "that stick" as SWMBO has named it. It is a section from a piece of drift wood I found while out canoeing up in Scotland this year. It was at a very high tide mark. It was screaming out to be turned into something useful. It is a section from a small tree that had in places the remains of a reddish bark.

I decided the best section to use. It was a 7ft section and I wanted about 5ft so not much choice. I then spent many a happy hour at the loch shore, removing what bark remained, smoothing out the branch stubbs and rounding over the top end.

It has recieved a sanding since being home and a light oiling to show the colours and patterns.

Anyway on with the pictures.

4737717835_0fbd9d6be2_m.jpg

From the above photo is looks quite a straight piece but it does have a slight curve to it from the side.

4737719235_679b9173d5_m.jpg

The end grain. I am not sure what wood it is? any ideas? As I stripped off the bark the following marks/pattern was revealed.

4737715315_e70b19a3e6_m.jpg

4738348418_18665a4577_m.jpg

You can see the gentle curve in this photo.

4737712425_7db698cb7b_m.jpg

I just need to add a wrist loop at the top, leather or cordage?

As for the ground end I need to add a cap of some sort to save the end spliting or wearing away. Do I go for an Alpine style spike or rubber ferrule?

What other additions or useful features could be added?

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Looking good! You could take that bend out with a hot air paint stripper or steam if it bothers you. Since you're probablly not climbing the Eiger this weekend, and you likely won't be strolling around town with a staff, why don't you just slot a bit of copper pipe onto the end?

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Very nice looking! lovely pattern on the wood :)

Sorry to go slightly off track but if I was to take a staff from a living tree (coppice) and strip the bark, how long would I have to season it for before I could sand and oil/stain it? Is there any way to speed up the process?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Think it's Birch.

Put an Alpine on the end as you'll want to stick it in the ground more often than not.

You could try a 'cobra' type wrist loop made of cord,gives you some spare.
Also mark out some measurements in case you get into tracking or need a scale for a particular photo of something.

Put a wee button compass in the top of the handle.

Tom.

ScotchDave

Forager
Jan 6, 2010
Glasgow/California
I vote for a whipped leather cord handle, very classy. I would finish the working end with a bit of copper pipe/yorkshire fitting. The alpine spike would also be cool, but harder to source.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product,

Dave

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
nice stick im always collecting bits of wood for stick making if its got a natural curve in the wood why not leave it there regards dave

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Nice stick! I'd go for the leather strap myself. I Have used both and leather I found much more comfortable than the synthetic cord, the object of the strap being to be able to transfer some of your weight from your fingers to your wrist, reducing the amount of grip you need to use. After a while the synthetic cord was rubbing around my wrist, not comfortable at all!

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
That is a nice staff & you now have lots of useful suggestions for finishing off or improving it, if you want to. The link to the Stickmaking Shop is great, with lots of nice bits, which has got me thinking about doing one.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Fruit loop: Very nice mate good job. I personally would use a steel tip brass ferrule or make myself a horn/Antler ferrule .

Asa: I leave my sticks for a minimum of 6 months to make sure they are dried out completly. I speed up the process by keeping it close to the rayburn although you have to be carefull of splitting and having extra length on either side is a good idea

Thank you all for your feed back and helpful suggestions of additions and where to get parts from. It has got the creative side of me working overtime. Is one stick ever enough? I think not. I found myself at work looking at a pile of wood wondering if they really need all of it? And what bits looked perfect for future stick projects. I did hear a friend say that I reminded him of his labrador, everytime they go out it has to bring back yet another stick :lmao:.

I am really enjoying the whole process and recommend anyone who has thought about stick making to give it a go. I never had a specific plan as such, I just adapt as things happen. I have got so much out of the project. The time spent with the knife, cutting, shaping and smoothing on the loch shore. The sanding in the back garden. Knowing the difference between what I thought was a sharp knife and a real sharp knife. Being shown how to sharpen and keep an edge on a knife. The sense of achievment. All of this has forced me to slow down and take it easy, plus how the wildlife seems to accept you are busy and therefore less of a threat, leading to some quite close encounters. I guess this experience may say a lot about modern living and my life?

I will update and add photos as the project continues.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
If it's not a precious staff and you have a blown out golf umbrella, you can hacksaw the tip of and stick it on your staff.

009-10.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE