Hiking trolley

• Thread starter Deleted member 56886
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 56886

You going to drill some core holes in the wood to lighten it up?
Yes, but tomorrow . Done enough for 1 day, fighting the flu at the moment so this has worn me out now lol. I feel 80 not 40

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Reactions: TeeDee

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I had a 1 wheel cycle trailer. It was like the Bob yak ones and it made the bike very unstable until you got some speed up. It nearly scuppered our first family cycle tour.

I'd have thought a 2 wheel trailer is better like the OPs plan.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I have an idea of something like that based around a sled so you could have a waist belt and just walk normally.
The big thing that stops the idea is stiles and kissing gates.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Here is how a finnish man constructed his trolley.
And more photos:https://www.google.com/search?q=eräkärry&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiixrTa7sWAAxWq7LsIHdf8A4YQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=eräkärry&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIFCAAQgAQyCQgAEBgQgAQQCjoECCMQJzoICAAQgAQQsQM6CAgAELEDEIMBOgsIABCABBCxAxCDAToGCAAQBRAeOgcIABAYEIAEUNATWIEoYJgqaABwAHgAgAFziAGIB5IBAzUuNJgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=327OZOLaK6rZ7_UP1_mPsAg&bih=756&biw=1431&client=firefox-b-e

IMG_6818%2Bcopy.jpg

This looks useful. Lightweight and small enough but able to take a load.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm still of the mind one wheel is more practical for avoiding obstacles. When in really complicated locations one can at least turn it around and steer like a wheelbarrow.

I guess a lot depends upon how much gear you really envisage or imagine carrying? What is a typical realistic carry where one of these things would be justified and over how much of distance. Obviously individual health plays a major part.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, lot of factors.

Another design that makes a chair/bed.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I remember reading about a guy who took his young family on pretty epic adventures. They used a cart and often carried their toddlers and babies on it with their kit. Iirc they were simply walking around in America with their handcraft. Definitely at least a 2 wheeler, possibly 4.

Personal choice about wheel number but after cycle touring with a 1 wheeler I'd go with two wheels. That way balance is easier to achieve. My 1 wheel would exaggerate the tilt with each pedal stroke.

D

Deleted member 56886

I'm still of the mind one wheel is more practical for avoiding obstacles. When in really complicated locations one can at least turn it around and steer like a wheelbarrow.

I guess a lot depends upon how much gear you really envisage or imagine carrying? What is a typical realistic carry where one of these things would be justified and over how much of distance. Obviously individual health plays a major part.
I'm in agreement, this isn't the first cart I've made. The last one I made about 4 years ago, I gave away to an older person at camp who was struggling more than me with their gear. (See photos)

I just don't have the bits or cash available at present. This one is temporary but I'll get a single wheel again one day.

52fe1d59ad54d51ffb4122852630fa3d.jpg
97515fe8b74a0d7252a094337d057c5a.jpg
8e6edb6af2fb000a8660dcfe84b6dc6c.jpg

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I remember reading about a guy who took his young family on pretty epic adventures. They used a cart and often carried their toddlers and babies on it with their kit. Iirc they were simply walking around in America with their handcraft. Definitely at least a 2 wheeler, possibly 4.

Personal choice about wheel number but after cycle touring with a 1 wheeler I'd go with two wheels. That way balance is easier to achieve. My 1 wheel would exaggerate the tilt with each pedal stroke.

But walking and cycling are different activities at different speeds.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm in agreement, this isn't the first cart I've made. The last one I made about 4 years ago, I gave away to an older person at camp who was struggling more than me with their gear. (See photos)

I just don't have the bits or cash available at present. This one is temporary but I'll get a single wheel again one day.

52fe1d59ad54d51ffb4122852630fa3d.jpg
97515fe8b74a0d7252a094337d057c5a.jpg
8e6edb6af2fb000a8660dcfe84b6dc6c.jpg

Would the stability issue of one (larger) wheel be solved by hanging your gear under the frame rather than sitting it on top?

Could one make the axle wheel spacing somewhat adaptable on the go? So wheel spacing of two wheels with a wider axle in a sleeve , then the option to shorten the axle and bring the wheels in close to act as 'nearly' one.

I do think the leverage pivots and speed of movement - walking in pendulum motions , cycling - building speed exacerbating a potential ' wobble' like a car pulling a caravan.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Don't need large diameter wheels on even surfaces, so could have two small diameter wheels in corners, and a larger wheel in middle where can raise/lower it's axle?

When lowered it'd bare all the weight, and outside pair would be like stablizers.

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
if you don't have cash for 'bits' as you say maybe you should get involved in your local Men in Sheds' who might be able to point you in a potential direction for free materials. although they do mostly woodwork I am positive they could help you with metal bits. My day job is setting up activities for men so my brain is geared towards networking and making links in the community. I bet any community group would love to have you involved in any 'making' projects with volunteers. might find some similarly skilled dudes.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Thinking of arrangements of wheels, two wheels in tandem is a good idea, it is called a bicycle, I wonder how many of us in the past have used one to take an awkward load home, pushing it with the load slung over the crossbar?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE