My BGS (Backpack Gasification Stove)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
Hi all thought I'd share todays project with you, last week I spent a day in aincient woods around Dinefwr Castle with a fellow bushcrafter, Woodstock. While there he got out his BushBuddy stove, I had heard of them but never actually seen one, and after discovering the price on them, I know why I hadn't! anyway I decided to have a bash at making one so here it is :)
DSC00001.jpg

and here it is burning
DSC00005.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

and the missus even made a bag for it
DSC00010.jpg

this cost me £9 to make apart from the £15 for heatproof paint but theres enough there to do 20 of these, so was wondering, for those that cannot afford to buy the named brands of gasification stoves, Or are not DIY minded, if you saw one of these in a shop would you pay say, a Tenner for one of these? Just as a query to see if this is worth pursuing ATB Jono:)

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
just my oppinion bud, but think this would look much better with the holes drilled in the bottom.
just my oppinion tho mate.
take care.
lee

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
just my oppinion bud, but think this would look much better with the holes drilled in the bottom.
just my oppinion tho mate.
take care.
lee

Fully agree but didn't have a 10mm drill bit so in the true spirit of bushcraft I improvised lol getting a new drill set for Xmas (if the missus loves me ;) )

JJJ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2008
cumbria
I like it, and thoroughly approve of using the churchkey. They have probably been used to make hobo stoves since they were invented, and this has to be one of the most efficient hobo's. The materials for this stove have been made since at least 1772 in the Netherlands, though the churchkey ( Googled) was patented in 1990. I have had a churchkey in my pack for 35 years. We used to drink a Partyfour and a Partyseven.Use one to make a stove and the other to cook in...happy days!

Did you seal the top of the stove in anyway so that the gases were only reignited when they flow through the upper/inner holes?

This stove will last for years, when you get your drills it might occur to you to go up market and trying stainless containers. I have found that once they have been heated that tin and stainless look the same, but stainless does have the edge if you seek to sell them.

A tip if you use a drill, is to turn or carve a circular piece of wood to go inside the stove as you drill. It will stop the stove buckling in as you apply pressure and leaves a hole that needs less work to clean the burr afterwards.

Nice work, I look forward to seeing your next stove.

John

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
Did you seal the top of the stove in anyway so that the gases were only reignited when they flow through the upper/inner holes?

This stove will last for years, when you get your drills it might occur to you to go up market and trying stainless containers. I have found that once they have been heated that tin and stainless look the same, but stainless does have the edge if you seek to sell them.

A tip if you use a drill, is to turn or carve a circular piece of wood to go inside the stove as you drill. It will stop the stove buckling in as you apply pressure and leaves a hole that needs less work to clean the burr afterwards.

Nice work, I look forward to seeing your next stove.

John

The main compartment is stainless, couldnt find a stainless cylinder to fit central compartment :( I used fire cement to seal the joins. refining the Idea and going to see a local engineering company see how much to manufacture them If i can get them made at a low price looking to supply as lately Bushcraft seems to be in fashion and the prices of basic items are getting ridiculous:( but glad you liked and thanks for the Info :):)
so in effect a micro churchkey (didn't know they were called that)

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
sorry bottom bit about micro churchkey is tired human nonsense lol going to bed so brain can rest and i stop typing crap lol

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I found an old but very sturdy hand drill of my dads you can borrow. I also have a pot of fire cement, which i got awaiting me to do a simerlar job but life got in the way. I can knock up the bags for them really quickly, the geezer in ammanford market does the those toggle things, i'll get some.

please note: this jono is a total geinus, he had a one look at a 100 quid commercial gasifier and made this. He has made a crook knife from an old file scrap and ply wood that has better blade comfier handle than any you could buy, it wouldnt win a beauty prize, but it is ace tool. He has made his own treadle lathe, knife etc etc.

Last edited:

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Yes I'd pay that for one as its beyond my skill base but if your material costs are £9 surely minimum would need to be £15 to ensure your not out of packet

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
I found an old but very sturdy hand drill of my dads you can borrow. I also have a pot of fire cement, which i got awaiting me to do a simerlar job but life got in the way. I can knock up the bags for them really quickly, the geezer in ammanford market does the those toggle things, i'll get some.

please note: this jono is a total geinus, he had a one look at a 100 quid commercial gasifier and made this. He has made a crook knife from an old file scrap and ply wood that has better blade comfier handle than any you could buy, it wouldnt win a beauty prize, but it is ace tool. He has made his own treadle lathe, knife etc etc.
Cheers never been called a Genius before my head is swelling now lol can't wait toget out with you guys again really enjoyed last time ATB guys :):)

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
All praise to yer , but what's the real difference between one o these and a hobo ? What happens to the ash build up ? Cheers
95feeaaa-9a82-b3ce.jpg

Sent from my E10i using Tapatalk

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
All praise to yer , but what's the real difference between one o these and a hobo ? What happens to the ash build up ? Cheers
95feeaaa-9a82-b3ce.jpg

Sent from my E10i using Tapatalk

Hi mate, In my opinion There are 2 differences
1. Gasification is more economical, your getting 2 burns from 1 fuel thus using less fuel
2. as you can see in your photo, the "grate" of your fire is in direct contact with the floor, In a pine forest or peatland
this is high fire risk, whereas the double skinned design of the gasification stoves leaves the bottom coo, no heat transfer
greatly reduces fire risk.
and with a modification to my design suggested by a friend the ash build up will fall to the bottom

But thats just my opinion, glad you liked ATB

xylaria

A wood gasifier is hugly more effienct than a hobo, the one we have just made boiled one litre of water in 8 minutes with dry tinder. They use a lot less wood and make less smoke that any other form of wood fire.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
+
Hi all thought I'd share todays project with you ... was wondering, for those that cannot afford to buy the named brands of gasification stoves, Or are not DIY minded, if you saw one of these in a shop would you pay say, a Tenner for one of these?

Roger-uk is right, a tenner isn't enough. I know I can make one, but I've fiddled about with tin cans to see what happens to things like the air flow and it obviously needs more time than I'm prepared to put into it. I can afford a Bushbuddy, Bushcooker, or any other wood gas stove you might mention, but anybody who knows me well will tell you that I'm a tight git and what they're asking for those things seems to me to be excessive. I'd have paid thirty, in fact I did just that for the Emberlit stove which is a lot simpler and isn't even a wood gas stove.

The Emberlit stove does pack nice and flat though, and if you can come up with something that packs flat AND is a wood gas stove you'll make a name for yourself at least in my book.

I wouldn't want one to fail in the field because the fire cement fell out in my pack.

With the amount of rain I get when I go camping, mild steel parts would rust through too quickly so I wouldn't want one with mild steel parts.

I don't know if you've estimated the heat output, but I'd say maximum output of 3kW to 5kW would be a good target range to boil a kettle reasonably quickly, and also it ought to be possible to make the output low enough to simmer e.g. a rice meal. It should burn cleanly at all heat outputs within your stated range, obviously outside the design range bets will be off with any wood stove.

So never mind a tenner, if you can make me one that works well in (all) stainless, no fire cement or other stuff like that which will break and/or get lost, I'll pay thirty quid for it whenever it's ready. How's that?

Hope this helps a bit.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE