Stove Obsession

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Many decades ago, family wilderness camping and fishing for a week or two usually depended on the reliability of a Coleman "green box." Camp fires were common but really, they have their limits.
Fast forward and we have so many power grid failures that a couple of reliable and effective simple stoves are a must. Because it's warm (70F) in the house, the bottle-gas types, one burner and two burner, suit my every need. I can set them up on my electric hob and feast. (Lighting from my solar system.)
The gas tanks (butane?) don't chill fast enough to to interfere with full throttle burns.

They don't work worth a damn, out in the middle of nowhere, +2C on a hunting trip. So I bought a Coleman Green Box of my own (mantle lantern also, just in case.) Sure, they are bulky to lug around but my Suburban is the kitchen.

5? years ago, I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Coleman 533 pressure stove. All steel. Looks like the fuel tank from a mantle lantern mated to a single burner from a Green Box. It runs beautifully at -20C. No adiabatic gas cooling choking.
It's convenient with plenty of BTU.

Power failures or not, I believe it's important to drag out _every_ stove and do a serious test burn of 20+ minutes.
Familiarity and reliability make camping life so much more relaxing. End of August. Try all the bottle gas stoves in my kitchen. A little fresh petrol fuel in all the Coleman stuff and light them outside the front door for a 5 minute burn. I don't save the Coleman fuel, It all gets collected and goes into the 40 gal tank in the Suburban.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've just added a catering can hobo stove... the local cafe was throwing a huge tin can away yesterday, and I just could not resist digging it out of the recycling bin, and taking it home, washing it out, and making a few holes in the relevant places, and now with a round cake cooling rack on top, makes a cool hobo stove....... its this threads fault.....I would have ignored the tin otherwise! I'm now up to 18 cooking facilities!

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
I just could not resist digging it out of the recycling bin, and taking it home, washing it out, and making a few holes in the relevant places, and now with a round cake cooling rack on top, makes a cool hobo stove....... its this threads fault.....I would have ignored the tin otherwise! I'm now up to 18 cooking facilities!
anything recycled and free that can be used even if for a new purpose is saving from going in the landfill

added bonus it will keep you warm with hot drinks and food and provide a source of heating

who's fault....?? :rofl:

Reactions: StevieE

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
We also moved house about 6 months ago and I miss my log burner. No chance of putting one into the new house because the chimney breast has been blocked up. But yes. When our old house was being done up we used to BBQ outside in October. Does a Cyprus Souvla BBQ count as well if we're talking outdoor BBQs? Not exactly buschcraft equipment though ....

You do not need a chimney necesarily. These days you can get the pipe to just coming out of a wall, most installers I contacted offered this service. Cyprus Souvla always counts :)

Reactions: StevieE

bearbait

Caldera Ti-Tri
Firebox Gen 2
Yukon Firebox
Trangia Burner
Primus Omnifuel
Four Dog Stove, with cistern and warming shelf
Optimus Paraffin Pressure Stove
Esbit / Hex Fuel Stove
Alcohol Gel Mini-Cookers
UCO Portable Firepit (Grilliput Firebowl)
BBQ Firepit
Outback Oven
Reflector Oven

And fuels:
Coleman
Gas Cartridges
Paraffin
Meths
Hexamine / Esbit
Alcohol Gel
Fire Dragon: Blocks, Liquid and Gel
And for the Primus Omnifuel stove in addition: petrol and diesel
(Finally) Wood!

And on the top shelf...

Reactions: wookii

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Oh fine!

2x hobo stoves (IKEA, ver 1 & 2)
2x gas, blue camping gaz thingies
1 x generic tripod gas burner
1x msr pocket rocket
5? Pop can stoves
2 camping double burners
1 x generic gasification stove
2x hexy
1x honey stove
1x micro vaseline tin burner

Others:
Petromax fire pit/griddle
2(?) Washing machine fire pits. I know.
1x wok fire pit
1x pizza oven
Various bbqs/hibachi-type
Stainless grill mounted on tripod. But I'm not sure that counts.

I'm not obsessed though.

Oh no

Not me.

No siree.

Reactions: wookii

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE