My Allotment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
We have guns here and I do shoot the bunnys, but I cannot shoot on the allotment area (water tanks, polly tunnels, people, etc...)
I think I may of sorted the rabbit problem... Nothing has been touched for 3 nights now. I do think that I had trapped the last rabbit in there when I re did the fence.
Sorry Bert, nothing else to tell.....For now..

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I have a dilemma with my allotment. It should be neat and tidy and grow veg. But I love nature doing its thing, so half the time I am wandering off site down to the local river (just a few metres away. And I can't cope with conventional crops. So its elderberry bushes for me (special strains chosen for their wine making potential) and a few mullein (as and when they come up) for fire/ hand drills.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
couch grass is the problem in mine.
Asides from veg and fruit, I have a small patch of willows for basket canes. This is the first year for a while that we've got our act toigether and kept on top of the weeding (so far)

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
just seen this thread for the first time.
I had a plot in Derby for a couple of years. had a broken leg at the time and it was great.
Had an apple tree and loads of blackberries when i got it. managed to hobble there each day to introduce weight and dig a bit more untill after a few weeks i had a section big enough to plant out.
Great therepy and it stopped me going insane and getting unfit. Got some cracking leeks off it, best ive ever tasted even after being in the ground for a year.
Planning on having a plot at home soon

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Bernie's plot looks very neat and tidy. Is the big bushy plant near the tripod fennel? We gave our allotment up when nipper number one was born as we no longer had time to keep all the weeds in check. We do miss it though. Certain things just never taste as good when bought in shops: sweetcorn, raspberries, rhubarb. Even freshly dug new potatoes. :( Ah well. We'll have a big garden one day.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Thanks all for the compliments,The plants by the tripod Neil are asparagus and have had a good crop of them this year,this is there 4th year.
Been over the allotment planting cabbage and kale this morning but forgot the camera,will take it with me tommorow and take some pics how its doing,thanks again all

Bernie

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Nice allotment Bernie, i only grow a few things in buckets out in the back yard. Tried tomato seeds this year, 7 came up and a few days later a slug ate the lot !!! Luckily 2 had not shown so now i have got 2 seedlings to plant on. (did buy some tom plants from garden centre though to make up for them), Got to put some Parmex carrots in a grow bag for the little-un. Also got some garlic in the front garden, don't know how it got there but i am keeping my eye on it as to when i can lift it.

I try and do some growing in buckets etc every year and have had some good potatos from buckets in the past.

nothing beats home grown veg !!

Andy:D

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Heres some pics of our peppers on the kitchen window cill,were growing 12 different varieties from mild to very hot.

Bernie

Thought I'd share a pic of my greenhouse with you Bernie. It's full of chillies and a few tomatoes. 45 plants, 27 different varieties ranging from sweet peppers to the infamous Dorset Naga which is reputed to be the worlds hottest so that's going to be an interesting time cooking with that :D

JUNE-02-08.jpg

I've also got tomatoes growing as well as the little wifey wanted something else besides chillies.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hows the allotment going Bernie?

I'm stating to harvest now. The shallots are in and drying, raspberries and cream are the order of most meals and fresh peas accompany the main courses

2619656188_792508585e_o.jpg

2619655328_3e9694a68f_o.jpg

2619654616_7431656315_o.jpg

garlic and mustard will be next - the beans are a bit slower this year.

Red

moonvisage

Jun 23, 2008
birmingham
Those are beautiful looking allotments,it will be wonderful to see them all progress.
An ugly little thing has been occuring in the uk recently,where,due to the food prices being so high,people are robbing allotments of their vegetables.i can see this happening a lot more in the future.I hope no one here suffers any allotment robberies.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Took some photo's to show how the back gardens coming on Red,am over the allotment again tomorrow,and will have to remember the camera.

Bernie

Two cucumber varietys
DSC00953.jpg

Various tomatoes
DSC00952.jpg

more tomatoes
DSC00951.jg

Runner beans,more cucumber and letuce
DSC00950.jpg

DSC00949.jpg

Another strain of runners garlic and some herbs
DSC00948.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looking good there Bernie - my cucumbers are well set and we are eating the first but I've nothing ripened in the toms yet. Pumpkins are setting and garlic is just finishing. Beans are set - should be onto the early ones next week,

A nice haul of new spuds from one container

2639487624_e980ddf7c4_o.jpg

Just swamped with peas - in the pod

2639491612_9929ca0e7e_o.jpg

Shelled

2638660029_c02d281b6d_o.jpg

Blanched ready for freezing

2639488740_cfcc673d39_o.jpg

Ive noticed the chilies are in flower, onions doing nicely

Hope yours are doing well?

Red

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Looking excellent for you Red, all weave cropped so far is the mange tout and radish, still keep forgeting the camera over the allotment,had to treat the spuds yesterday for potato blight so fingers crossed there,as we have a good crop,will tie a knot in something so i remember the camera,cheers

Bernie

i got an allotment a few weeks ago but its a mess :rolleyes:

however ive been growin in the garden since last year
including the front Flower beds

and some large pots and containers
Strawberys have finished and we have had courgetts for a while now
the butter nut is doing well the first fruit is sewlling nicly
teh chillis (out side ) most have a couple of fruit and many flowers
carrots beetroot and b beans cropping well

back2june08.jpg

front2june08.jpg

back3june08.jpg

I havea free way of making paper pots for starting seeds off very easy and quick if any body is interested its posted on a couple of other forums uses a deodorent spray can a a former saving £10 of the shop one

PP5.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think our distance south counts! My buddy went home today bearing excess cucumbers - getting a few a week cropping now. Toms should be ripening now - the vine ones are nearly full grown but still green. Those extra few degrees are everything though - we should share - bet yours crop longer than mine!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Inteesting that Dunc - I lost my first chillies to frost this yea - the second planting are just coming into flower now

Timing is eveything!

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Weather has been rubbish down here so everything is on go slow.. Have had a few potatoes but we are getting blight (what did you use to treat, Bernie..?).. Cucumbers are flowering but nothing on the chillies and peppers which are in the poly tunnel. Melons are comming up well and the stuff in the allotment is growing, now I have sorted the rabbit problem.. We have a couple of reddish tomatoes but loads of green ones....

COME ON SUMMER, WHERE ARE YOU....???

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE