My Allotment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That's well cool Bernie, the missus is very interested in getting an allotment started sometime, even a small patch would do us. As for growing stuff in your window boxes, I have some parsley growing in one, some alpine strawberries in another and some curry and thyme, but they seem to have died back so they may get replaced. The strawberries and parsley are great, being able to open the window and tuck into a few small but sweet strawberries or grab some fresh parsley for use in a meal is brilliant.

Also, I reckon if you got a large enough plant pot carrots may be a possibility!

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
That's well cool Bernie, the missus is very interested in getting an allotment started sometime, even a small patch would do us. As for growing stuff in your window boxes, I have some parsley growing in one, some alpine strawberries in another and some curry and thyme, but they seem to have died back so they may get replaced. The strawberries and parsley are great, being able to open the window and tuck into a few small but sweet strawberries or grab some fresh parsley for use in a meal is brilliant.

Also, I reckon if you got a large enough plant pot carrots may be a possibility!

You'll have to get one spam for the missus,maxine loves it over there getting away from it all.
long way to go for your strawberrys though:)

Bernie

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'll tell you what though, it is surprising what you can grow with a really small plot. We grew tomatoes in a plot one foot by two foot and not even six inches deep last year! The toms were really sweet, and I don't even like toms normally! We should have made some ketchup with them, maybe we will have some more this year and they will be just as good!

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
When i first moved to a flat i used to grow carrots in a bucket with a mixture of sand and compost and potatoes in a 25L drum. Now i have a small piece of ground and grow alot more, it's amazing how little room you need to grow your own crops.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
We still grow all are herbs in a window box outside the kitchen window, and are spring onions in a window box,when we first started growing we even grew runner beans in 25l pots with good results.

Bernie

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
i didnt like the taste of carrots untill i tasted my own from in a plant pot ive also done cucumbers and peas.I dont have much land now and the allotments near me cost around £15.000 so ill probably do a few carrots on my shed roof.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
i didnt like the taste of carrots untill i tasted my own from in a plant pot ive also done cucumbers and peas.I dont have much land now and the allotments near me cost around £15.000 so ill probably do a few carrots on my shed roof.

You don't have to buy an allotment you rent one, mine costs £25 per year just enquire in your area, do a google search and see what comes up.

Bernie

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Heres some pics of our peppers on the kitchen window cill,were growing 12 different varieties from mild to very hot.

Bernie

DSC00300.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

DSC00302.jpg

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Just thought i'd share a pic of my back garden,this is where we grow our salad plants and runner beans,the bed on the right is a permanent bed for are asparagus,this is its fourth year so a good crop this year,the logs are where our oyster mushrooms grow, we get two good crops a year from them,the pots you see contain garlic which will be planted out in the allotment in a few weeks time.

Bernie

DSC00305.jpg

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Thought i'd share some pics of how the back gardens coming on,runners are in and have had a good crop off the asparagus,will get some pics of the allotment as its not doing bad there either.

Bernie

DSC00800.jpg

DSC00801.jpg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nice one Bernie, good to see it comming along..
I have had real bad rabbit trouble on my plot and its been driving me up the wall with frustration. I almost smashed up all me veg (that was left) in temper.... There was a 2' chicken wire fence going all around the plot with 1' of the fence into the ground. Someone had seen a rabbit jump the fence, so I went out and bought a load of chicken wire and extended the height of the fence to stop them getting over. I then planted out a load of stuff from the polly tunnel in confidence....It was all eaten.... I went around the whole plot looking at how they got in but found nothing...
Then I go up there one evening and see a young rabbit munching away so I chased it off and it ran straight through the fence...!!! I could not believe it, it went through a 2" hole... I consulted the RHS book of pests and diseases and it said you had to use the chicken wire with 1" holes as rabbits can get through... I then got some very fine black plastic mesh that was an old wind break and very strong. I spent a lot of time and effort putting it up around the plot and also digging it into the ground... I was very confident they wouldn't get through that, so I got loads more veg from the tunnel and spent ages planting it all out... Next day it had all been munched...Aaaaaaargh....!!!!
Thats when I nearly lost it with it all...Lost the plot..lol..Maybe thats where that phrase comes from...
I went up there the next evening to see a bunny again, so I chased it.. It couldn't go through the fence or jump it... It went into some stinging nettles at the back of the site. In I charged brandishing my hoe, swiping away the stingers...Thats when I noticed the hole... A bloody warren right under my nose I thought. It was late and so I just got a spade and blocked the hole.. Next day when I got back from work I went and dug out the hole. I spent about 2 hours digging only to find no rabbits and it didn't go anywhere...??? Very strange I thought..I went in and had dinner and just as it was getting dark, I went out there again and saw a rabbit munching away. I saw red and chased it, knowing it could not dive down the hole or get through the fence etc. It ran and disappeared into the compost heap.. There was a hole in there too. I dropped my hoe and went and got a fork.. I won't go into details on here, but lets say, that rabbit won't be eating any more veg... :D
This was two days ago. last night nothing touched my veg and with the sun today a lot of it is comming back, though I reckon the brussel sprouts, broccoli and cabbages are too much nibbled to survive. I really do not know how they are getting in, maybe it was a few that had got shut in there and now I will be ok.. Time will tell.. Fingers crossed...
Me potatoes are doing well...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well I'm really embarrassed to show my stuff because Bernies stuff is beautifllu neat and well planned. I may ahve some work for you when we get the new place Bernie :D

Anyway - just for laughs, a few views of the garden now

This veg plot is roaring away. The beans are above the top of the pyramid - no flowers yet though

2538493087_c9f1c02873_m.jpg

The peas though are in full flower

2538490743_fd8aa0359e_m.jpg

The grape vines are doing well now that I have got the hang of pruning them

2538490123_a0ac54f603_m.jpg

learning loads this year from the "experimental pots". A lot of this is layered and self propogated soft fruit that I am growing on. There are blueberries, cranberries, kiwi, goosegogs and a few other bits in shot (oh and a few big tubs of first earlies). I ahve about 25 tubs of experimental mustard plants just out of shot - trying to perfect the seed saved mustard for a tutorial on entirely home grown and made whole grain mustard

2538494285_a2e5bccc36_m.jpg

A few new veg in the beds too. These are our Jerusalem artichokes. Tring bulb fennel for the first time this year too

2538491509_470fb01a5c_m.jpg

The orange tree is flowering having put on new leaves - the lemon started flowering before putting on growth. You live and learn!

babies first lemon :D

2479118120_7cd4e932f4_o.jpg

Not up to your standards Bernie but we eat okay ;)

Red

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I certainly wouldn't be embarrassed with what your doing Red it might not be, you think neat, but its not about neatness,its about production of food and your blinding me in that respect,glad you posted your pics Red, they may be a different route but all roads lead to Rome,so we'll both keep posting how were getting on and adapting to what suits us both,thanks for sharing

Bernie.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
some good photos there, like your back garden there Bernie, very handy (if only I could persuade mrs m we should dig up the flower garden and put a chicken coop there). I'll try and get some piccies of my plot this morning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE