My Allotment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Some lovely looking espalier wotk ther Jon (I think it is anywho)

Ground looks hungry though

Red

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
HI Johnny you'd be better of at the end of the season splitting the entire plot into four,and heavy mucking two,then you can rotate your crops each year,each year you move them round one,the year after you heavy muck the ones you dident the year before,if you go to the beginning of this thread you'll see how i did ours.hope it helps

Bernie

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Takes years Jon tbh - I've put a barrow of compost per square metre on my veg patches for 5 years. Its still hungrier than Bernies (which looks stunning btw - really dark and rich)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Cheers chaps... Tis all a learning curve.. We have a load of chickens n ducks and when their house gets cleaned out, it all goes into a compost heap.. That will go on the allotment next winter.. I will rotate the crops too.. Its also a time thing, thats my biggest problem I reckon..

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well thanks to Bushwacker Bob the garden survived our holiday.

We harvested the garlic today. Heres a few bulbs

2686806352_726fe13c54_o.jpg

An impression of the size

2685998925_a685de7e0a_o.jpg

The Tree onions are doing reall well. I'm impressed with an onion that develops a great bulb like this

2686812236_26ee07c8a4_o.jpg

Whilst also growing "sets" for the next year

2686809102_6497c435af_o.jpg

The pumpkin patch is also looking great. Time to thin out the pumpkins soon to get some larger sized specimens

2686002107_b6ed1cf8c1_o.jpg

Red

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Inspiring. Just got my allotment last month and waiting for the rain to stop to get stuck in.

Been cutting back to under (over) growth and marking it out.

Plan to start putting in some fruit over the winter/spring and killing off the weeds and grass in the meantime.

Well done.

Richard

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I have pretty much abandoned my patch... The weather has been terrible and the bugs, disease, slugs, snails and other pests have really got me down with it all.. I hope next year will be better...
How are you guys getting on...?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sadly the wet has done for half my larger tomatoes - blight destroyed them this last week. Did okay on the rest - shallots and onions were in, garlic was great, peans and french beans fine. All I really have left on the go is leeks and pumpkins and the toms and cucumbers in green houses. I guess a year in two halves - great first half but a washout on the second

Such is life. Time to get my garlic in soon :D

Red

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
The caterpillars here are the worst i've ever seen! They've eaten everything they can. All my sprout plants look like skeletons, the cabbages have been ruined and they even buggered up the swedes. Everything was netted, mainly to stop the pigeons. Butterflies still managed to get in. I've seen them laying eggs on the netting, so i guess when they hatch they fall through onto the plants. Im going to start using fleece instead. Slugs were dealt with by using nematodes (nemaslug) its works brilliant.

Mainly a crap year for brassica's....

Andy >>>>>------------------------------------<>

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Our allotment has suffered with the rain. Its not flooded, but the earth is soaked. We've had some goodstuff out, but a lot ahs been spoiled. I'd like to try raised beds next season to see if that will help drainage (and my back).

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Looks like great soil and great little set up.Think you make a good point that most bushcrafts like to garden and watch things grow especially when comes to veggies and stuff you can eat.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Well we were going over this morning, but its still raining,Done well with the sweetcorn and beans allready harvested,everything else is doing quite well will get some more pics up in the week weather permitting,
Should be in north Wales today, Towyn but weather put paid to that.

Bernie

blueprint

Aug 22, 2008
orkney
good for you we have been self sufficient now for 10 years, living on a small croft, we buy in day old turkey chicks and raise them for christmas, they are bought eagerly by our friends who want an organic fresh bird and we take orphaned lambs to raise and put in the freezer, it's nice to know where your food comes from and to know that they have had a good life before they are dispatched, we also grow all our veg and swap our hay for half a cow every year , can't be bad

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
good for you we have been self sufficient now for 10 years, living on a small croft, we buy in day old turkey chicks and raise them for christmas, they are bought eagerly by our friends who want an organic fresh bird and we take orphaned lambs to raise and put in the freezer, it's nice to know where your food comes from and to know that they have had a good life before they are dispatched, we also grow all our veg and swap our hay for half a cow every year , can't be bad

Something me and Maxine would love to do,if we could get the land.

Bernie

blueprint

Aug 22, 2008
orkney
Something me and Maxine would love to do,if we could get the land.

Bernie

well we moved here because it was so cheap, we bought a small cottage with over 4 acres for twenty thousand pounds, the property is dirt cheap here but you have to be prepared to join in with island life, it's a different way of life up here.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Not posted any pics for a bit,all in all have had a good year and again learnt more for next year.

looking down last of the spuds out on the right carrots and parsnips to the left.
100_0343.jpg

To the left cabbage and brussels on the right my oldest grandson Issac,enjoying the celery.
100_0347.jpg

the cauli's
100_0345.jpg

brussels
100_0346.jpg

Bernie

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thats a nice hawl Bernie...
I have been surprised at how much veg I have managed to salvage from my spot. I lost pretty much all the brasicas and the carrots have been bad (carrot fly I think), but my parsnips have done well, as have the onions and leeks.
I got so fed up with it all I had just left it too nature, so it was good to get something after all.. Will try again next year...

Do you end up giving most of it away or do you freeze or dry the food..?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE