My Allotment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I know its not bushcrafty, but its self sufficiency, similar i think,so i thought i'd do a thread on my allotment from this spring till next,and posts pics now and then of the progress.

Its 75ft long and 26ft wide below are some, pics all rotavated and ready for the growing season.

bernie

DSC00288.jpg

DSC00287.jpg

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Very nice Bernie, looks like you are ready to go! We had to give up our allotment last year because we just didn't have time to do it justice, but if you have the time, this is undoubtedly one of the most satisfying of enterprises I can think of :) Good luck with it all, and look forward to more pics as it all grows!

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Looks like a nice patch you have got for youself there Bernie, I look foreward to your future posts, always wanted to have a go myself but our local council has sold off all bar one near me and thats all taken up. Best of luck with yours.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Of course it's bushcrafty, to me at least:D
the ability to "grow your own" has to be the top of the tree as far as green living goes and surely bushcraft encompasses green living?

I've no idea whether this side of things has been covered before but I'll certainly be watching with interest, as it's a bit of a breath of fresh air to me Bernie;)

Best wishes
Steve

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
just been getting ours into action for the spring, don't have a rotovator tho, so it's all by hand (well, spade, but you know what I mean:D ). Not quite as big as yours (f'nar, f'nar) it's only about 50ft long by about 25 (a big half plot really). We got loads of free manure delivered last year and the soil is in excellent condition (tho yours looks pretty fine as well).
It's always an exciting time of year, planning the season ahead.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Thanks for all the interest shown,perhaps other members can also contribute by adding pics of there allotment or there veg plot.lets see pics of yours mike,
mine is split into 5 sections,as you look from the gate up there is 2 sections on the left 2 on the right.

top left heavy mucked up last autumn for spuds this year,bottom left no muck for brassicas
top right no muck roots carrots parsnip ect bottom right well mucked up legumes peas beans ect,onions leeks and garlic.

top section melons,squash corgettes ect

200 onions planted in troughs in the greenhouse to give them a good start also 2 variety of leek growing in the green house and 28 garlic out side in pots

bernie

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thanks for all the interest shown,perhaps other members can also contribute by adding pics of there allotment or there veg plot.lets see pics of yours mike,
mine is split into 5 sections,as you look from the gate up there is 2 sections on the left 2 on the right.

top left heavy mucked up last autumn for spuds this year,bottom left no muck for brassicas
top right no muck roots carrots parsnip ect bottom right well mucked up legumes peas beans ect,onions leeks and garlic.

top section melons,squash corgettes ect

200 onions planted in troughs in the greenhouse to give them a good start also 2 variety of leek growing in the green house and 28 garlic out side in pots

bernie

This is the sort of stuff that baffles me! the knowledge and skill involved leaves me in awe!
My father in law, had an allotment from when he was 15, he's 85 now and gave up the allotment for the back garden several years ago as it was too far from home and he has never driven.
The veg he gives us when we visit is superb!

Best wishes and hat's off!
Steve

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
As a gardener myself theres nothing better looking than a big patch of land ready to be planted up or sown with seeds. Looks like you've put alot of work into that Bernie, i hope you reap the fruits of your labour. Keep us posted with what's going on.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thats a nice looking plot you have there Bernie...
We are growing a load of veg on the farm here, we have our own little plot, including some space in the polly tunnel. Cabbages are well under way in there. So far, this year, we have dug over by hand, removing all the couch grass and weeds, then I rotavated it all and we have planted a few rows of carrots, onion sets and parsnips. Also got one row of early potatoes in already and am going to do more rows of them every two weeks. Indoors on the window sills are a load more veggies sprouting...

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Looks great Bernie. Living in the city, I'm always a little envious of people with a decent plot to grow in. I'm stuck growing herbs for cooking on my window ledges. Even on my own tiny scale there's nothing quite like harvesting the fruits of your labours and nature's bounty :D

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Thanks Johnny and Clark
you'll have to post some pics yourself,as for window cills full know the problem ares are full of peppers herbs and lettuce,got all are seeds from realseeds all are original garden varieties no f1hybrids as used by growers for the supermarkets.

bernie

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Looks great Bernie. Living in the city, I'm always a little envious of people with a decent plot to grow in. I'm stuck growing herbs for cooking on my window ledges. Even on my own tiny scale there's nothing quite like harvesting the fruits of your labours and nature's bounty :D

At least you still have the pleasure and commitment to have a go even if its a window box,you never know whats round the corner you might not be in the city forever.

bernie

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I've got a few allotments too. Mine are all done by hand, although I did rotavate a section of it last year. Don't know if was a good idea though. I guess it did make digging a bit easier afterwards.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
i also had some hard graft, below are some pics taken in october 2007,i hand dug the complete allotment,and heavy mucked up the top left and bottom right,let it all rest till last thursday then went over it with a borrowed rotavator,in the first pics i posted you can see the darker heavy mucked section and the lighter unmarked sections.

bernie

Picture11032-1.jpg

Picture11031.jpg

Picture11030.jpg

Picture11029.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Great stuff Bernie, I am tempted to go for one myself, sounds crazy when so many people want an alotment, that there are always a few going by me:confused:

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Thanks Andy and Rick, but unfortunately i'm only required for the donkey work, my good lady doe's all the planning and planting,i just have to carry it there,if you can get an allotment rick i'd get one and have a go,the difference in the taste of growing your own to the genetically modified supermarket veg is unbelievable,the supermarket veg is f1 hybrids to keep there colour and extend the shelf life,taste come's last.

Bernie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE