My Allotment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Weather has been rubbish down here so everything is on go slow.. Have had a few potatoes but we are getting blight (what did you use to treat, Bernie..?).. Cucumbers are flowering but nothing on the chillies and peppers which are in the poly tunnel. Melons are comming up well and the stuff in the allotment is growing, now I have sorted the rabbit problem.. We have a couple of reddish tomatoes but loads of green ones....

COME ON SUMMER, WHERE ARE YOU....???
Hi johny
Treated them with dython you have to spray it on,if you don't act quick you'll loose them hope it helps

Bernie

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hi johny
Treated them with dython you have to spray it on,if you don't act quick you'll loose them hope it helps

Bernie

Cheers Bernie...Any sign of black leaves I have dug them up quick, but the spuds are still pretty small despite being earlies... Will go see if we have any dython, but its constant rain down here at the mo..:(

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Cheers Bernie...Any sign of black leaves I have dug them up quick, but the spuds are still pretty small despite being earlies... Will go see if we have any dython, but its constant rain down here at the mo..:(

Just really give them a good soaking with it as it sucks it all down the next dry day you can,and you should be allright.

Bernie

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Just really give them a good soaking with it as it sucks it all down the next dry day you can,and you should be allright.

Bernie

Will do....:)
I have just been looking through the RHS book of pests and diseases.... Its a wonder we manage to get anything to eat at all after all the bugs, fungi, moulds, slugs, wasps, mice, rabbits etc etc, all have a go at our veg....

Inteesting that Dunc - I lost my first chillies to frost this yea - the second planting are just coming into flower now

Timing is eveything!

Red

yep i ahd mine in pots for probably to long trying to decide where to put them and got given a cold frame ( in the piccy) by a neigbour (only asked for a cutting of a rosmary)

carrots are good and had the layer of snow on them (under bottle cloches) we had way back

pluss im getting tired of lettuce my 15 plants are still giving top notch leaves and i pick the leaves once a week have to give it to teh neigbours

the cucumber has one ready a mini but i removed all the otehrs on the main stem to encourage longer fruiting

ATB

Duncan

Gailainne

Life Member
I chipped my whole backgarden so I could fit in a shed and carport, but what I did was plant ten minarettes so it wasnt totally barren; 2 apples, 2 pears, 2 cherries, 2 plums a damson and a gage.

The blossom is absolutely gorgeous, amazing amount of flower from such a small source, even the odd fruit :D
IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

Cherries were invaded by black fly :( hopefully I'll get some fruit from at least one tree.

You guys have my utmost respect, my dad cultivated a veg garden all his life...me I kill plants by looking at them :rolleyes: at least with the fruit trees I get some results.

Kindest regards

Stephen

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sweetcorn looking good their Bernie too. Don't bother growing it myself (just borrow it off the pheasant in the cover crops). Do you sew direct with maize?

I do ahve a few pumpkins on the go on some nice rich ex-compost ground - they do seem to love this wet humid stuff!

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thanks Red ,of course i'll save you a few.

Cheers Johny, you surprise me, i thought you'd be well ahead down your end.

Bernie

Its been very wet and cold down here so maybe thats why..? Its the first year I have grown veg so I am not too clued up with it all.. I will get a photo so you can compare..

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Sweetcorn looking good their Bernie too. Don't bother growing it myself (just borrow it off the pheasant in the cover crops). Do you sew direct with maize?

I do ahve a few pumpkins on the go on some nice rich ex-compost ground - they do seem to love this wet humid stuff!

Red

HI Red,grow them in plastic cups then plant out,i get all are seeds from real seeds,there all as it says real seeds no f1 hybrids,heres the link to there website,

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/

Cheers

Bernie

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Its been very wet and cold down here so maybe thats why..? Its the first year I have grown veg so I am not too clued up with it all.. I will get a photo so you can compare..[/QUOTE
Perhaps you were a bit late planting out Johnny,but it will all come.

Bernie

I planted out as soon as it said I could on the seed packets.. I was all keen to get going with it all..
Here is the plot..

veghorsefly011.jpg

veghorsefly014.jpg

veghorsefly010.jpg

veghorsefly013.jpg

Pretty poor really, isn't it...?
Bear in mind all the onions and leeks and brassicas were nibbled right down by the rabbits and I have the potato disease, and it needs weeding....AGAIN... and I don't really know what I am doing...lol..

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I wouldn't be ashamed of that Johnny for your first year,its all a learning curve next year will be different again,this is are fourth and were still learning,keep taking photos and compare with next years,keep it up ,
all the best with it.

Bernie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE