mushrooms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HWMBLT brought home golf ball sized puffballs for lunch yesterday from Bothwell Castle Policies :cool:
Strathclyde Park, up from the Roman brig and towards Bellshill golf course.
Chatelherault, down towards the Avon gorge.
The upper Clyde nature trails......Brownlee, Maudslie, all the way up to the Falls of Clyde.
Forgewood woods. from Motherwell down to the Calder.

Just a few easily accessible bits :D

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Like round white balls of polystyrene :D Round about a golf ball in size usually, they get up to the size of a small orange.

There are no toxic puffballs in the UK, but slice them open and have a looksee. If they aren't all white inside discard them.
They are kind of, well, I think of them like tofu, but HWMBLT says they're like egg white :dunno:

Slice them up and either dry them to fry later (make mushroom crispy things :cool: ) or slice and fry in oil or butter and serve with herbs and seasoning.

The giant ones are rarer, though I have seen them in the woods along the motorway at Hamilton.

Birch Boletus should be about too just now, I'm sure someone was talking about them on BB.

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
i need a guide with somebody that knows the safe way too pick mushie's

Have a look at your local college prospectus for this year, there are quite often Mushroom walks which you can go to for around £5 for half a day.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't know where you live, but the closest ones to me are the Ranger services at Chatelherault and Strathclyde Park, and there are usually fungal forays organised at this time of year.
If you contact your local Countryside Rangers or Greenspace Officers then they ought to be able to help.

I only know the ones I know, and I'm well aware that my knowledge is very limited around fungi.

cheers,
Toddy

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
Toddy, I know what SWMBO means. My six foot two son uses that phrase for his five foot nothing wife, and it is appropriate. But what does HWMBLT mean?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
That's it, though when he's irritating me no end, it's HWTHMBLT...........He Who Thinks He Must Be Listened To :eek:

cheers,
M

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
Och aye, ye ken. Proper english is so long winded.

Back to the topic, pull out your ordinance survey map and look for habitay=ts thats mushrooms like.

Broad leaf woods, pasture land and north sided valleys with streams (burns) and rivers. Then tread soft and keep eyes open.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE