Mushrooms as a survival food.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I was a bit disappointed recently to read that mushrooms were of little value in a survival situation. I thought "I'm not having that" and researched further. I read several sources that confirmed this. I was a bit fed up as I know many species that make up my foraging c.v. It now appears they are not be as good as I once believed. Some do taste decent and that would certainly be a morale booster. What does anyone else think about it.

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I used to take my children to Forest School on Saturdays when they were small.
We were looking at a fungus and one of the children asked “can you eat it?”

The instructor said “That means three different things”

Will it poison you?

Does it taste nice?

Will it feed you?

He said that the answer to number three is almost always “No.”

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mushrooms, the edible ones, add a bit of character to dinner.
They're part of the seasonal round, something to look forward to, to wander to find and forage, occasionally surprising when come across unexpectedly, such as a sudden eruption of chicken of the woods :) or chanterelles, or puffball.
Some grow so long on the tree until it's gone that it's like a buffet, always something there, like the jelly ears or the oysters.

Not a bad thing to know what you're looking at, and that it's safe to eat :)

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
They offer very little from a nutritional standpoint. Low in calories, very little protein, zero fat and low carb too.

They’ll fill an empty stomach, but you won’t be surviving on them if you’re running a calorie deficit.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Something is better than nothing if you're really up against the wall and can trust your identification skills. I'm now allergic to fungi which makes decisions very simple.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Where is that “Reality of food in the bush” article when you want it?

What I have heard from the folk that have made in depth studies of this subject is that nothing is better than something if something is low calorie. ”Something“ will stop the digestion system shut down and the body switch to burning body fat In starvation mode.
carbs and fat might be worth eating if you can get enough, but fungi are about the worst choice.

Reactions: Wayne

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Never knew that never really considered that probably because I'd have oil/butter with the mushrooms that wouldn't be available in a survival situation.

Reactions: Toddy

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Where is that “Reality of food in the bush” article when you want it?

What I have heard from the folk that have made in depth studies of this subject is that nothing is better than something if something is low calorie. ”Something“ will stop the digestion system shut down and the body switch to burning body fat In starvation mode.
carbs and fat might be worth eating if you can get enough, but fungi are about the worst choice.
thats interesting. I have never heard that but it makes sense. Thanks,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE