Multicam v DPM

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
"So where is John pitched"
"Is he the one with the coyote brown tarp?"
"Yes"
"Well, you see that woodland camo over there (points), well look just to the right and down and you can maybe see the coyote brown tarp"

Western Massachusetts, late spring. I kid you not.

CB really blends well with leaf litter.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
"So where is John pitched"
"Is he the one with the coyote brown tarp?"
"Yes"
"Well, you see that woodland camo over there (points), well look just to the right and down and you can maybe see the coyote brown tarp"

Western Massachusetts, late spring. I kid you not.

CB really blends well with leaf litter.

+1 here too. Look at deer, moose & the like. I've observed that those colours (CB or the tussock from Swazi) blend in the best. They won't disrupt a pattern but in woodland environments they trick the eye as effectively. Wear fur!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
+1 here too. Look at deer, moose & the like. I've observed that those colours (CB or the tussock from Swazi) blend in the best. They won't disrupt a pattern but in woodland environments they trick the eye as effectively. Wear fur!

But don't wear a deer suit during hunting season!

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
You guys have this all wrong. You're discussing camo which is only designed for use when hunting Humans. Soldiers pretty much all dress the same the world over because they're hunting soldiers so following that logic. consider your prey when choosing your camouflage i.e....

When hunting deer...

th

Rabbit....

th

Birds...

th

You get the idea. Hope this helps. :nana:

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. I always wear military gear and camo when required and don't give a stuff about public or others perception and Ive never had a problem from anyone! The only time I hear of people having a problem with DPM, camo or webbing etc is on this site so go figger!
Anyway, I agree with comments above, DPM for forest and Flackten. But always add natural to the gear too. This breaks the siloette further and blends into the immediate ground around you. Don't just rely on the pattern on your gear.

leon-1

From a military observation perspective dpm is actually too dark. It's pattern actually makes you look like a dark blob at distance and this is inclusive of ranges at 1km plus.

"If something appears too dark then invariably it is" this was one of the first things that I was taught on observation. I was also then taught to look through cover and focus beyond the bush at the point behind, look into darkened areas. "Almost nothing in nature is black" which is not far off the truth. At range the old DPM pattern appears to merge because the pattern is too small and the blacks / dark greys and dark browns give the impression of being black as your eye is not capable of picking up the finer detail.

Multicam / MTP was introduced to counter this problem. Folds in the material will naturally cause a shadow and change the hue to the human eye, so even though it may seem quite light it blends just through the folds and creases in the material. When then placed into an area of shadow like a dried out leaf which appears to be light outside of the forest inside and on the ground it still appears dark, that's just due to the amount of light reflecting of the surface. Multicam / MTP will invariably blend better with more environments than DPM will. DPM was also designed at at time when the troops were actually taught to use camouflage, the use of cammouflage today is considerably less, in most cases just being a smear of cam cream to hands and face. It is very rare to now see troops with half a field hanging from webbing and elastics attached to themselves due to current environment that they are trained for.

If you are buying something that will be used in the militayr then Multicam is ideal. If not look for something in OD or Coyote brown.

Get it in plain colour then a Bergan cover in the cammo you want gives the option of not having a cammo rucksack and adds a waterproof layer when used as well and gets rid of a lot of snags if in ruff country and you can change it relatively cheaply

pretty sure MTP is not been licenced outside of forces issue so you probably have to get Multicam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE