LARGE COMFORTABLE BACKPACK RECOMMENDATIONS

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
You need MORE space? I feel I could LIVE in mine!! :)
(There's a thought...the rucksack that's also a tent.......:oops:)

Well the main pocket gets mostly taken up by my Easyhammock Winter hammock which is quite large, I bought this bag so I could fit it inside as opposed to being strapped onto the back like my previous backpack. Plus these days I like to take some comfort items also like a chair and a mini table. If I am going for my low size/weight summer setup the main pocket alone is more than enough.

Reactions: Laurence Milton

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The German army recently experimented with rucksacks in this size. They didn't develop an own design as before but obviously looked what's offered on the market.

At first they bought a couple of Berghaus Atlas rucksacks. They reinforced the frame and wanted it 10 litres larger with the result that the German army equipment now fits perfectly into the Berghaus Atlas 4, also into the smaller compartments, pouches and pockets.

The Goretex suit fits perfectly into the outer lid pouch, the toiletry bag into the inner lid pouch, the sleep system Defence 4 + Tropen and Carinthia bivvy bag fits in the bottom compartment if you use the compression bag, the German mess kit fits into the side pouch and on top of it the large French Army field bottle with mug, additional a German army cuttlery kit and even a Morakniv Garberg and a 250 ml rectangular Nalgene bottle with instant coffee still fits next to the French field bottle in its mug and pouch.

On the opposite side fits into the side pouch a Hilleberg Nallo 2 tent without tubes what follows Hilleberg's advice anyway to put the tubes into the main compartment next to the back in order to protect them. Most hikers will also prefere the weight there.

In the main compartment fits more stuff than I can carry. But if I don't overload it and give it the perfect shape it's the perfect full winter equipment and still portable. And if I write winter I mean winter, not just a bit ice on the puddles.

I think the Berghaus Atlas 4 is the lightest military rucksack of this size. And if we talk about factory new equipment also the cheapest because it is made in China.
Berghaus is a British quality brand though and their products are also in use in the Dutch and British army so far I know.
Obviously also the Chinese are able to produce quality stuff if they want to.
;)

The smaller zippers in the lid look surprisingly weak but, well, it's tested by the German special forces and there is probably no stronger zipper needed.
When they created it together with Berghaus the German army still followed a consequent lightweight philosophy.
The Atlas 4 is the youngest and lightest and most modern Berghaus rucksack of that size.
I guess it was issued to 1/4 of the German army. That's approximately what I see in the railway trains. (A lot of our soldiers still use the older 65 litres Flecktarn rucksack that isn't comfortable as a trekking rucksack without the seperate belt pouches.)

I find that the Berghaus Atlas 4 is extremely comfortable at 16 kg, comfortable at 18 kg, portable at 20 kg and not so funny at 25 kg. But perhaps it's just me, because I am neither young nor used to such loads. The rucksack that I usually carry around every day has only a total weight of approximately 7 kg (3 Seasons equipment). I am trained to that on long distances but not used to play the pack donkey.

Recently the German army bought at first 30.000 Tasmanian Tiger Rucksacks of that size and 30.000 Snigel 100 litres rucksacks. And afterwards they decided to buy such a Snigel 100 litres for every soldier. It costs currently approximately 600 € in the shop. So, money wasn't the reason to buy these.

It looks for me as if they tested in wider and wider circles all interesting rucksacks and decided in the end for the best. They surely also would have got Savottas or Norröna Recons if they would have liked these or whatever.

The Snigel 100 litres rucksack is pretty heavy. It's such a case that allows you to carry the weight that's also caused by the empty rucksack. But nevertheless the lightweight freaks in the German army decided to get this and not to stick with the much lighter Atlas 4.
It has a very flexible belt attachment, most pouches and pockets can be opened from two sides, the main compartment can be reached from the top but also from the belly of the rucksack due to a wide opening under the MOLLE/PALS straps, what's surely pretty practical if you have it in the tent.

I have seen it at a railway station but the guy was so fast that I didn't try to stop him. It's a cool thing without any doubt.
And yes, there fits a smaller day pack onto the belly for those who need a little bit more stuff on the hike. You can see it in the pictures if you look it up on their own site. It's sold in Germany via Recon Company in Salzgitter Bad, what's an interesting shop with also English home page. But one can probably also order it directly from Sweden.

• Love
Reactions: leanrascal

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
If you have the money go for a Kifaru pack. I’ve tried a lot of packs and Kifaru are the best IMO. Their internal frame large pack is very comfortable it’s called the Kutthroat, roll top pack but you can buy a separate lid. They have many large packs used for backpacking hunting. Buy a frame and all their packs fit the frame, pricy though. I have a Duplex lite frame and a Stryker XL. It’s essentially a daypack but with a large dry bag between pack and frame it can be as large as you need and it’s very comfortable. Check their site and let me know if you have any questions. Not connected with the company just really like their kit.

leanrascal

Nov 1, 2019
London, UK
If you have the money go for a Kifaru pack. I’ve tried a lot of packs and Kifaru are the best IMO. Their internal frame large pack is very comfortable it’s called the Kutthroat, roll top pack but you can buy a separate lid. They have many large packs used for backpacking hunting. Buy a frame and all their packs fit the frame, pricy though. I have a Duplex lite frame and a Stryker XL. It’s essentially a daypack but with a large dry bag between pack and frame it can be as large as you need and it’s very comfortable. Check their site and let me know if you have any questions. Not connected with the company just really like their kit.
Yep, these look amazing. Will have a closer look.

Reactions: bigbear and SCOMAN

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Really?
I didn't see it offered in different sizes.
Perhaps the adjustment is located at the belt instead of the shoulder straps like it's made at the Savotta Jääkäri L ?

I have no idea. When I recently was in Salzgitter they didn't have the Snigel 100 in the shop. Should I come along there I will have a closer look or simply ask the next German soldier that I meet with the thing. I'll travel quite a bit by train in the next weeks. You need to save up your money anyway if you want one.

;)

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
So, I called Recon Compay.
The Snigel 100 litres rucksack has of course an adjustable back length.
It's located at the hip belt.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
What?

So, before you buy it, write a mail to Snigel. I will keep the eyes open.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
I have said this before, you need to go to a big shop that carries lots of different makes. Get a shop assistant to load up sacks heavy and walk around. Buy the one that feels best.
it is the only foolproof way, other than investing in a Kifaru, which are insanely heavy but gloriously comfy and totally bombproof.

Reactions: SCOMAN

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
And which shop in Britain offers the Berghaus rucksacks, both Norröna Recons, Kifaru, Savotta, Snigel, Karrimor SF, Arwy or Lowe Alpie Sting and Saracen, British army infantry rucksacks of both back lengths, and perhaps the French army infantry and mountain troop rucksacks as well as the Defcon 5 options of the Italian army, a few Wisport bags and the offers by Essl, as well as the issued Austrian army rucksacks, a bit Belgian Army Stuff an some US Army surplus packs, may be a bit Canadian stuff as well? The Danish one looks cool too. And surely the Swiss did also upgrade from that TV tornister.

Is there a single shop in Europe where you can try all these quality packs?

In town you find the usual pretty weak and short lasting stuff. It may fit you, Fjällräven and Deuter, Osprey USA and all the house Brands know the business of course. When they fall in pieces you simply get the next overpriced one.

Last edited:
Reactions: gibson 175

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@leanrascal

Did you consider to lighten the load?
Do you have a list of your entire equipment where you wrote down the exact weight of every single item that you carry around?

Did you try out if your existing rucksack is comfortable if you just carry 16 or 18 kg?

Perhaps a clever packing list would solve the problem.

leanrascal

Nov 1, 2019
London, UK
@leanrascal

Did you consider to lighten the load?
Like everyone, I used to carry more than I needed. So I removed stuff then I ended up with what I consider the bare minimum.

@leanrascal

Do you have a list of your entire equipment where you wrote down the exact weight of every single item that you carry around?
No, because this would not tell me where I am going wrong, considering I'm already down to what I feel is the bare minimum. But if you tell me you'd have a look at such a list and let me know where you think I'm going wrong, I WILL take the time to draw up such a list.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It's worth remembering that pack volume/capacity does not always mean you're carrying great weights: some items - sleeping bags in particular - can take up a considerable amount of space and still weigh - well, less than a small elephant. For example, I have a synthetic winter bag, which gets used during the winter in Scotland, and it takes up a huge amount of space in my pack. This means that, for longer, multi-day trips, I need to use a bigger capacity pack to carry it; it does not necessarily make the pack heavier. Before we get into the debate about the merits of wonderful, compressible down bags, I use the synthetic one because it copes with the damp/wet conditions better. The point remains: sometimes lighter-weight kit is bulky and so needs a bigger pack.

leanrascal

Nov 1, 2019
London, UK
It's worth remembering that pack volume/capacity does not always mean you're carrying great weights
That is indeed 100% correct and I agree with all your points, which is in fact exactly why I like 80/100 litre bags. I use the Snugpak Special Forces 2-in-1 sleeping system and that can take some space, even though I don't believe it is particularly heavy (website says 3.2 kgs). But some are arguing that I would benefit from trying to reduce the load down to 16/18 kgs. As of right now I have no idea how I would be able to do this, short of spending £1000s for lighter equipment. For example I know I could save 0.5kgs by spending £400 on a dyneema tarp. Tempting but expensive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE