Multicam v DPM

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rayg

Dec 19, 2011
scotland
Hey guys was just wondering if any of you know the effectiveness of multicam camo v DPM camo in the British environment?

I am buying karrimor sabre 45 and can't choose between multi or DPM, I know this is a bushcraft site and not air soft or military just thought I'd ask if any of you had experience with the two and any pic etc?

It would really help, thanks guys!

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I'm no authority on the matter, but I have been working near the firing ranges at Catterick Garrison. The multicam does a grand job of blending in when the squaddies are sat on the grass waiting their turn.

sent by weird means

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
DPM was designed for the forests of Northern Europe which is where we all hang out. MTP was introduced for the scrubland in the Middle East that isn't quite desert

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I actually find faded German Flecktarn better for most UK environs. But of the choices you have for the rucksack I do think the multicam is better at breaking up your form than the DPM. I know you'll get folk saying "Oh well it was designed for here..." yes that was 30 years ago and we don't always choose the right thing for the military.

Don't loose your sack!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
+1 for the faded flecktarn - I've always thought flecktarn the most effective camo pattern for Northern Europe, and it works better through the changing seasons, too.............atb mac

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Another fan of flecktarn here... However pretty sure the sabre doesn't come in it ;). I'd get OG personally.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Got to say MTP kicks Mutilcam and DPM in to touch.

MTP is Multicam with a slight pattern variance. The colour is the same! They are both made by the same company.

There was a lengthy photo review on a shooting forum and multicam/MTP did quite well. DPM is good in a woodland environment, but whilst MTP is a solid all-rounder it is not ideally suited to work in Northern Europe. Fleckterns work best in dappled shades i.e. conifer forests.

I read a press release a few month back and the General (low grade IIRC) stated that he did not envisage the BA deploying outside of the Middle East or Africa in the future!

Last edited:

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
I personally do not like either to wear out and about PLain olive green for me works everytime but it depends what you are doing if in the army then thats a different matter, atb wayne

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I personally do not like either to wear out and about PLain olive green for me works everytime but it depends what you are doing if in the army then thats a different matter, atb wayne

TBH when I first enlisted the only people who wore OG were military.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I stalk deer in Flecktarn, MTP and DPM. The multicam is great almost all the time, flecktarn in autumn and DPM in the brightest light (I only have a shirt). If I had to have only one, it would be MTP.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
Yes this is true i still wear an old pair of plain green combats. but also full military camo is really frowned opon and i am sure not allowed on forestry commission ground. does'nt do me any good sneaking about with a rifle when i come across walkers in scotland. I am not knocking anyone for wearing it and it is great gear and i am proud of our guys fighting for us but for what i do it does'nt work and find that plain green works in every enviorment we have around the uk, atb wayne

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yes this is true i still wear an old pair of plain green combats. but also full military camo is really frowned opon and i am sure not allowed on forestry commission ground. does'nt do me any good sneaking about with a rifle when i come across walkers in scotland. I am not knocking anyone for wearing it and it is great gear and i am proud of our guys fighting for us but for what i do it does'nt work and find that plain green works in every enviorment we have around the uk, atb wayne

On the public perception I would go for plain olive too - doesn't look to Rambo. Though what I've found with the Realtree type camos is that older ladies actually like it and find it pretty. I have an Aigle jacket in Realtree and there's been a number of occasions where I've stopped of at a visitor centre or café and "older" ladies have come up and asked about the jacket because they think it's a lovely pattern. Weird.

So it depends if you want to blend in or not worry folk. Though I find with most folk I've to make my presence known as they wander around blind.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I suppose the main reason we don't wear green. so much here (when hunting) is that we generally hunt in the Autumn when the colors in nature are either bright (turning leaves) or later when they're a duller brown. The exception would be Spring turley seasons of course.

But like you, I don'y usually choose a military pattern. As far as I know all patterns are legal here (they're certainly common wear just about everywhere) but civilian patterns do a much better job when you want to be area specific. And TBH when hunting on public land such as a National or Stae Forest (the closest equivalent of your forestry commission lands)it's a legal requirement to wear a minimum ammount of blaze orange anyway (usually a vest)

To the OP; Sorry we're taking this a bit off topic. Hope you find one that suits you.

I tend to steer clear of Camo... I wear enough of it at work - I'm in the Royal Air Force (so almost military ;) )
If I was spotted out and about in CS95 by any of my work colleagues the ribbing would never cease.

It is sometime amusing to see people spending their hard earned cash on what we receive for free (trousers/jackets), but being R.A.F we never seem to get (or need) the good toys I'd like to have for my bushcraft needs (nice rucksacks/crusauder cook sets/knives etc)
I guess I just couldn't allow myself to buy clothes/kit that HRH could/should supply me.

Actually, thats not all strictly true... Im often seen round the fire in cold weather sporting a fine OG/Desert Softie Jacket!!

Anyhow, I much prefer the MTP to DPM - it blends in much better with my carpet, so the wife stuggles to see it when I dump it on the floor ;)

Mark

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
At first impressions, it is easy to think that MTP will be too light for a woodland environment. However, a strange characteristic of the cam is its ability to darken right down depending on very slight changes the ambient light. Doesn't really seem to follow logic I know, but it really does seem to happen. It also has macro and micro patterns in it - i.e. small patterning that breaks up your shape at close distances, and large colour changes that break up your shape at a greater distance. Seeing it do it's stuff in the field is really impressive. The 'Forests of Europe' argument for DPM is an old one, but frankly people spend most of their time on the forest/wood floor that is dominated by browns - i.e. it suits multicam/MTP shading. It's only when there is a full background of lush green foliage that DPM has the edge. A partial background of green, and multicam/MTP is still better as the dark DPM clearly silhouettes the areas of the body that are outside it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......frankly people spend most of their time on the forest/wood floor that is dominated by browns - i.e. it suits multicam/MTP shading. It's only when there is a full background of lush green foliage that DPM has the edge......

Particularly important to remember this if your trying to hide from something looking DOWN toward you from above; such as when hunting birds in flight or arboreal animals.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Obviously we need to organise a big game of hide and seek to test the theories.

Sounds like fun. It'd be helpful though to know just what the OP is trying to hide from; not all creatures see the same way we do. Is he hunting mammals? Birds? Or perhaps he's airsofting (as hinted)?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE