LARGE COMFORTABLE BACKPACK RECOMMENDATIONS

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leanrascal

Nov 1, 2019
London, UK
Looking for recommendations for large modern COMFORTABLE backpacks

MOLLE webbing would be ideal as I have several items that come with webbing, especially my Center Line Systems "Mother" Canteen Carrier.

Will be used for week-end / multi-day trips.

Load tends to be 20-22 kgs (including the bag)

Hiking 10-20 kms a day

I’m 5’10”, 90 kgs, if that's relevant

Large size, 80L minimum, as I like to keep my sleeping system fairly loose when stored away in the bag, and to accommodate a more voluminous sleeping system in the winter.

To be used throughout the year in all weather though mostly in the UK and Western temperate climate.

Most of all it needs to be super comfortable. The Karrimor SF Sabre 45 would be killing me after a day’s walk. The Karrimor SF Predator 80-130 I use now is much better but even with that bag my shoulders are getting sore by the end of the second day. I know that Predator is already considered one of the most comfortable backpacks out there, but can I do even better? Should I be looking at those backpacks with frames? Any advice welcome! Many thanks

J-P

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I started backpacking with friends carrying 28kg pack. Second trip I got to 18kg. No more sore shoulders, back or anything after I got to 10 to 15kg total pack weight.

I think the only way to make your load more comfortable might be a kit weightloss programme. Perhaps a custom sack from aiguille alpine in Staveley, Cumbria. As in one made to perfectly fit your body not the brand standard body size.

Reactions: leanrascal

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
A key thing to measure is your back length (this is nothing to do with your height, you can be really short but have a long back and vice versa) and also your waist (not your trouser measurements).

Use these measurements to make sure the backpack has the ability to fit you, and then go to a shop or order online from a site with a decent returns system. Don't try and fit yourself to the pack you want, it needs to be the other way around.

Good video here on how to do it:

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I once was with a test where there were about 20 different packs from cheap to the most expensive on the market at the time. A lot of people there and everyone carried about 12 packs and after every test gave points to the one on various features, afterwards all testers named 3 packs in order. The largest surprise of the test was that the cheapest pack got #1. After a lot of discussion and some inspection it was found that somebody (from the shop that had given it to the test) had bent the internal frame to fit the average person and quite well too.

So it is not the price or the brand but how just that pack happens to fit you and almost all of the ones with internal frame need some bending to be done.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
As well as fitting the sack to you the other big comfort issue is weight. I read once that something like 15kg is the point at which weight loss starts to really pay off.

If you do go down the kit weightloss route it can become addictive. I could get down to 4.5kg sack with 1 litre of water and weekend food. At that weight it's basically daypack levels. That was 20 litres drybag style rucksack from alpkit that I used for that trip.

If you like the rugged, traditional sack route I can recommend aiguille alpine. I got my custom sack for £90 made to fit my 6'5" frame. He basically made a one of a kind sack that was different to any of their standard sack models. Single alloy stave, pre-bent so make sure if you remove to put it back the right way or you'll poke the base of your spine in an uncomfortable way. 1.1kg but without the stave a bit less. Tough corduroy with lighter fabric in low wear areas. Webbing up the front for axes and non stretch, bucket side pockets, side straps, etc.

I have no doubt they'd sew on webbing where you need it to take anything on the outside. Not sure how much to go the custom route with them now as their rucksack prices have gone up a lot since I got mine. Probably pricey now but their stuff is known to last.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I once was with a test where there were about 20 different packs from cheap to the most expensive on the market at the time. A lot of people there and everyone carried about 12 packs and after every test gave points to the one on various features, afterwards all testers named 3 packs in order. The largest surprise of the test was that the cheapest pack got #1. After a lot of discussion and some inspection it was found that somebody (from the shop that had given it to the test) had bent the internal frame to fit the average person and quite well too.

So it is not the price or the brand but how just that pack happens to fit you and almost all of the ones with internal frame need some bending to be done.
And if the internal, pre-bent frame is removable making sure it is put back in the right way round is very important too. Trust me with that one.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
I really like my Snugpak 100L Bergen. It's not canvas so comes in at only 2.4kg and has removable metal plates at the back so you don't get anything digging into your back as your carrying it. The lack of molle is slightly annoying but it's big enough to pack most of what I need inside and I just use the external shock cords to hold my chair.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have been using an ALICE pack with a plastic frame or a Mystery Ranch Mountain Ruck, did the coast to coast last year with the mountain ruck, I guess the load was 20+kg, comfortable and no problems. there is more than one way to wear a waist belt!

Louis

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
In ancient times an adult fit nomadic male was supposed to carry his own weight while they were on the move (if necessary). Can be done and should be avoided if possible.

When younger 25-30 kg was comfortable (well, kind of), must admit that those days are past and nowadays I try to keep it 20 kg max, which is quite enough for a week's trek outside the skiing season.

ianmbetts

Nov 2, 2022
Ireland
Looking for recommendations for large modern COMFORTABLE backpacks

MOLLE webbing would be ideal as I have several items that come with webbing, especially my Center Line Systems "Mother" Canteen Carrier.

Will be used for week-end / multi-day trips.

Load tends to be 20-22 kgs (including the bag)

Hiking 10-20 kms a day

I’m 5’10”, 90 kgs, if that's relevant

Large size, 80L minimum, as I like to keep my sleeping system fairly loose when stored away in the bag, and to accommodate a more voluminous sleeping system in the winter.

To be used throughout the year in all weather though mostly in the UK and Western temperate climate.

Most of all it needs to be super comfortable. The Karrimor SF Sabre 45 would be killing me after a day’s walk. The Karrimor SF Predator 80-130 I use now is much better but even with that bag my shoulders are getting sore by the end of the second day. I know that Predator is already considered one of the most comfortable backpacks out there, but can I do even better? Should I be looking at those backpacks with frames? Any advice welcome! Many thanks

J-P
I am using two different packs that would fit that role.
The first is Berghaus Crusader which is 90L + 2x10L detachable side pockets. Tends to be available in OD and still available new/unissued.
The second option is ex Dutch Army Lowe Alpine Saracen, which is 100L + 2x10L side pockets. Almost impossible to find new/unisued, and DPM far more common than OD. Grade 1 issued can be found easily online.
The crusader harness has fixed back length so pack is available in four sizes. I am 6'5" and use size 4.
The Saracen has APS 5 adustable back sytem.
I have not yet used the Saracen in anger but I found the Crusader tough on the shoulders when carrying 15kg+.

ianmbetts

Nov 2, 2022
Ireland
I
I am using two different packs that would fit that role.
The first is Berghaus Crusader which is 90L + 2x10L detachable side pockets. Tends to be available in OD and still available new/unissued.
The second option is ex Dutch Army Lowe Alpine Saracen, which is 100L + 2x10L side pockets. Almost impossible to find new/unisued, and DPM far more common than OD. Grade 1 issued can be found easily online.
The crusader harness has fixed back length so pack is available in four sizes. I am 6'5" and use size 4.
The Saracen has APS 5 adustable back sytem.
I have not yet used the Saracen in anger but I found the Crusader tough on the shoulders when carrying 15kg+.
I would add the Belgian army m97. I dont have one of these but it seems to have Berghaus Crusader heritage, and from what I can tell has an adjustible back system similar to the Dutch Saracen.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
+1 for this.

I have a couple of their Jaakaari range, including the XL, which is an external framed sack of the volume you're after. On initial inspection, the shoulder straps can seem quiet hard and unyielding but, like the car seats on most German and Scandinavian vehicles, they prove to be very comfortable, particularly on longer days carrying more kit. I used one on the Cape Wrath Trail recently and it was superb. They're not the cheapest but they really do work and will last a very long time.

I have no affiliation with the company or any of its stockists; I am merely a very happy customer and user.

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
I really rate the Mystery Ranch or Hill People Gear kit. I have a HPG Qui-Ya and it’s incredibly comfortable. Neither brand is cheap, but they are extremely durable and high quality. Buy once, cry once. You only have one spine so treat it nice!

leanrascal

Nov 1, 2019
London, UK
If I may throw a suggestion into the ring.

Bin off looking at military spec stuff, I've recently started using an American hunting pack and my oath the difference in comfort against my predator pack.

I can safely say I'll never consider carrying a military pack again.
Sorry, could you clarify what American Hunting Pack you are using? Or recommend?

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
I really like my Snugpak 100L Bergen. It's not canvas so comes in at only 2.4kg and has removable metal plates at the back so you don't get anything digging into your back as your carrying it. The lack of molle is slightly annoying but it's big enough to pack most of what I need inside and I just use the external shock cords to hold my chair.
You need MORE space? I feel I could LIVE in mine!! :)
(There's a thought...the rucksack that's also a tent.......:oops:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE