Multi fuel stove on eBay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
dont have a clue what ratio the mix is but i would reckon its more petrol that diesel.
in the instruction sheet for the go systemes stove (pdf on the website) it does say that diesel is not recommended as it will require more cleaning of the jets etc etc - so to my ears it doesn't say "dont use it" :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Don't fer Chrissakes let my Mrs know I'm posting this.....

I'm feeling the need for a multifuel stove and the cheaper I can get a reasonable one, the better it will be. My query is about what fuels it'll burn - I have a "need" to own a stove that will happily run on diesel/central heating oil........
... Anyone prepared to run a little test for me?

Or post your thoughts....

TIA

Ogri the trog

Ogri, no stoves really run well on diesel, messy stuff that clogs up the works. Central heating oil is pretty much paraffin and will work. Check out my other thread of the 'stove heads up' I posted yesterday, a Nova for £65 is a real bargain and its a hell of a stove, very well made and will last a lifetime.

None of the major stove makers reccomend diesel fuel anymore, to be used as a last resort and I hear Primus are now saying what stove collectors have said for years, no unleaded petrol either.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I hear ya! But I'm desperate not to understand - a stove that requires.... tinkering...... to run well has plenty of character to me.

To me, domestic heating oil and diesel are one and the same - though less duty payable on one of them. Certain (ahem) diesel vehicles run on CH oil.... so I've heard!

Maybe this one is a lost cause.

Thanks for your replies gents

Ogri the trog

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Thanks Rik,
Having missed the Ebay opportunity, I now have time to sell another kidney (how many does the average human have again?) or once more re-jig the finances to sate my inner devil.
If I'm lucky, the phase will pass and I can stumble along, as I have up to now, without a shiney new toy.

ATB

Ogri the trog

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
They are still on Ebay,I bought mine today after trying loads of offers it seems that £25 is their bottom line. But still a good price.

Ogri
try here

or search on seller plus2city

GS

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I hear ya! But I'm desperate not to understand - a stove that requires.... tinkering...... to run well has plenty of character to me.

To me, domestic heating oil and diesel are one and the same - though less duty payable on one of them. Certain (ahem) diesel vehicles run on CH oil.... so I've heard!

Maybe this one is a lost cause.

Thanks for your replies gents

Ogri the trog

By CH oil do you mean 28 second burn oil which is Kero - needs a bit of 2 stroke oil or some veg oil if put in a vehicle where legal (illegal in UK, don't mess with HMCR) as it does not lubricate the injector pump the same as diesel - good in stoves

32 second oil is (red) diesel it will burn but is is very sooty.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
For those that have bought one of these stoves, how long did it take for you to receive it?

Ten days ago I got an email to say it's been despatched, and that I should 'receive it shortly', but still haven't got it.

Jim

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I might have got over the medical "need" for one.....

I was having a play this morning, replacing the pump washer on my old Primus 96....
Got to thinking, I'm going to fire it up anyway, lets try it on CH oil - so I did!

Took a bit longer to prime, burned a little cooler than kero and was a little smokey, but all in all, I recon it was a success. It might be a different story on a winters day when things don't want to warm up as quickly but at least I know that there is an alternative that will work to some degree or other.

Cheers all - 'specially Rik for your patience in answering my dumb questions.

ATB

Ogri the trog

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
For those that have bought one of these stoves, how long did it take for you to receive it?

Ten days ago I got an email to say it's been despatched, and that I should 'receive it shortly', but still haven't got it.

Jim

9 days and no sign of mine yet either,despite an email saying it had been despatched the next day.
Unusual from China, as their delivery is usually very quick.

Has anyone received theirs yet?

GS

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
9 days and no sign of mine yet either,despite an email saying it had been despatched the next day.
Unusual from China, as their delivery is usually very quick.

Has anyone received theirs yet?

Got mine today. It was 12 days from email notification of despatch.

Seems quite well made for the price (I paid £25, but of course I should take into account the £15 postage), and it works fine with gas and panel-wipe. I'll try paraffin tomorrow.

Jim

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Mine arrived today as well Jim. 10 days from purchase.

Paid the same as yourself,I think that is their bottom line.
However ,no instructions and having never owned a stove like this I need some info before I try it.

Can anyone help
GS

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Yeah, fill it up and let it rip!

:D

If it is similar to military stoves, after filling you will pump it up 10 to 20 strokes, prime the heater with paste or by burning a diesel soaked rag. That primes the paraffin coming into the burner, once it is nearly burnt out open the fuel valve and when the flame is blue, pump the pressure to the required level. I used to do it by feel, I've seen guys pumping stoves up so hard they are leaning on the pump in the end! No need to go that hard at it!

Bearing in mind I've never used this particular stove though, I'd suggest waiting on Rik to give you the definitive answer. He knows his onions on burny things!

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I tried paraffin with my stove today. It works, but needs a lot of priming with meths. There's also quite a bit of yellow in the flame. I guess diesel would perform worse then paraffin.

All in all, by far the best fuel is petroleum naptha (panel wipe). I guess Aspen 4T would also work as well. Gas is also fine.

Jim

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Hi Jim
Any particular panel wipe?

Does it mention petroleum naptha on the can?

I think there is a supplier of Aspen on one of the local estates,but I guess panel wipe is a cheaper option.
I will give it a go tomorrow
GS

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Hi Jim
Any particular panel wipe?

I can't say, as I don't still have the original can. (but see below)

Does it mention petroleum naptha on the can?

Yes, it's petroleum naptha.

I think there is a supplier of Aspen on one of the local estates,but I guess panel wipe is a cheaper option.
I will give it a go tomorrow
GS

'rik_uk3' reckons Aspen 4T is currently cheaper than panel wipe. I recently paid £14 for 5 litres of Aspen, and £11 for panel wipe about 3 years ago. Make sure you get Aspen 4T rather than the 2 stroke 2T!

Jim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE