Multi fuel stove on eBay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bailout

Jul 17, 2008
devon
Thanks for the replies.

Tommy, does it block you from bidding on all the items or just that particular auction? He is listing them on ebay uk as normal auctions. Perhaps you could bid on one of those?

bailout

Jul 17, 2008
devon
Just a bump. Could anyone who has the stove answer the questions I listed above? I am thinking of buying the stove to use on a long cycle touring trip where it would be ideal for my use but can't afford to spend the money and find it isn't as good as the specs suggest.

thanks

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Firstly, Hi to everyone, I joined up just for this thread :)

I saw these stoves on ebay a couple of weeks ago and posted on another forum to see if anyone had tried them but with no luck so I have been interested to read this thread. I have some questions that I am going to be anal about and list.

1 How are the stoves going now people have had them a while? I am very tempted and they seem a bargain but not if they pack up quickly. Also what are user's general opinions about the stoves now?

2 Has anyone investigated whether they are compatable with spares from one of the major brands? I am wondering whether if something went wrong whether a spare pump or connecting tube could be bought of another brand and used.

3 How controllable is the flame when burning liquid fuels? Is it possible to simmer or is it just a choice between off and burnt?

4 Is the trangia conversion permanent or can you put the original legs/body back on?

5 They are listed on ebay uk in pounds with no buy now or offer option but a start bid of 20 + 10 p&p. This is a few pounds more than the offer price people seem to be getting on the us version. How does ebay/paypal handle currency conversion charges?

6 How long did they take to arrive?

7 What liquid fuels, if any, can it burn other than petrol?

Many thanks

Ok, The build quality of the stove is fine, however, the fuel line is not as 'Robust' as stoves like the Nova or Omnifuel.

It will run paraffin as well as petrol and gas, but you need to pre heat well with meths (don't burn petrol, use panel wipe/Coleman/Aspen 4T)

It burns hot, but you need to practise with the fuel control to master a simmer as you do on most MSR stoves.

Not sure about spares as I've yet to strip mine down to be honest, things like 'O' rings can be picked up from hardware stores ect and I'm sure a pump leather can be found to fit.

The Trangia conversion is not perminant, very easy (two minutes) to change back

Delivery time was very good for me, around a week

Overall, very good value for money, burns hot and (with practise) can simmer, although if you are going to simmer a lot I would be tempted to just use gas.

If you can improve your budget, go for a Nova or Omnifuel, these are just about the best stoves in the class.

These are a solid stove, and well worth looking at as well
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COLEMAN-DUEL-...hash=item280248586991&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I just got back from a camping trip with mine.
It coped very well.
Simmering is easier on gas, but I still managed to cook pancakes using coleman fuel.

For the price You can't go wrong.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Ok, The build quality of the stove is fine, however, the fuel line is not as 'Robust' as stoves like the Nova or Omnifuel.

It will run paraffin as well as petrol and gas, but you need to pre heat well with meths (don't burn petrol, use panel wipe/Coleman/Aspen 4T)

It burns hot, but you need to practise with the fuel control to master a simmer as you do on most MSR stoves.

Not sure about spares as I've yet to strip mine down to be honest, things like 'O' rings can be picked up from hardware stores ect and I'm sure a pump leather can be found to fit.

The Trangia conversion is not perminant, very easy (two minutes) to change back

Delivery time was very good for me, around a week

Overall, very good value for money, burns hot and (with practise) can simmer, although if you are going to simmer a lot I would be tempted to just use gas.

If you can improve your budget, go for a Nova or Omnifuel, these are just about the best stoves in the class.

These are a solid stove, and well worth looking at as well
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COLEMAN-DUEL-...hash=item280248586991&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

They are a great stove Rik i have 2 at home

One is up for trade if anyones interested
I must stress though when fueled up there no light weight hiking stove but they are built to last and work very well in all conditions ive put them through

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I offered £20 and got a counter offer of £25, which I accepted - making £40 including postage. Looking forward to trying it and will post my findings here.

Jim

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I had mine out last weekend.
It's seen a lot of use and is still good as new.
Very happy with it.
The only problems I've had are due to me not tightening things properly.
Boils a pint of water in a couple of minutes easily on gas, probably faster on petrol.
Long term it's looking like a good buy.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My only gripe is the quality of the fuel hose, seems flimsy compared to Primus or Optimus fuel lines, that said mine have had a lot of use without problems. The seller is selling spare fuel lines, I may pick a couple up and pack a spare with each of mine.

They also work with paraffin, just prime the stove with a little meths.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
My only gripe is the quality of the fuel hose, seems flimsy compared to Primus or Optimus fuel lines, that said mine have had a lot of use without problems. The seller is selling spare fuel lines, I may pick a couple up and pack a spare with each of mine.

I wonder if others whov'e also bought this stove would want spare hoses, in which case we might get postage saving on a 'group buy'?

Jim

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
i too picked up one of these and yeah the only weak point is the fuel hose - mine leaks now and even after a repair attempt by stooboy im afraid i need another. I tend to lean more towards the honeystove / pop can stove these days (hate carrying around unleaded or gas cans) but for a burn anything no hassle very quick stove then it still has a place. Horses for courses i guess.

So yeah buy one but i would defo say buy a spare hose too! - someone (it may even be in the original parts of this thread but I cant be bothered searching - I have man flu and therefore need no further excuse!) did mention at some point that these are similar to the go stoves
GS2111_flexifuellit.jpg

it does look the same, so i wonder if you could get the spares and so from these guys.

Tom

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Don't fer Chrissakes let my Mrs know I'm posting this.....

I'm feeling the need for a multifuel stove and the cheaper I can get a reasonable one, the better it will be. My query is about what fuels it'll burn - I have a "need" to own a stove that will happily run on diesel/central heating oil........
... Anyone prepared to run a little test for me?

Or post your thoughts....

TIA

Ogri the trog

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Well the unleaded me and stooboy had been burning is more of an unleaded / diesel mix (stoo got a load from a guy at work who had previously fallen foul of the wrong fuel in the car episode) and its messy but it does burn.

Diesel is harder to ignite isn't it? - i reckon diesel would take a great deal more cleaning if it does work.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Well the unleaded me and stooboy had been burning is more of an unleaded / diesel mix (stoo got a load from a guy at work who had previously fallen foul of the wrong fuel in the car episode) and its messy but it does burn.

Diesel is harder to ignite isn't it? - i reckon diesel would take a great deal more cleaning if it does work.

It will certainly be harder to ignite, but it has lots of plus points for me...
It runs my domestic CH and my vehicles so is always easy to source
In the domestic boiler, it lights from a spark igniter so can't be too bad
While smelly if you get it on your hands, it isn't apt to vapourise as readily as higher solvent fuels.

What sort of ratio are you using Verloc, I suppose it wouldn't be too far fetched to consider cutting diesel with other (lighter) fuels and storing it in bulk, but straight diesel is preferable to me. Some literature mentions the MSR Dragonfly to be compatible with diesel/kero/aviation fuels but I simply can't afford to stretch to one of those.

Cheers

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE