Going retro -Optimus 00 stove.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buadhach

Jun 2, 2015
England
I recently scored a venerable Optimus 00 paraffin stove for £18 on ebay, spent £5 on a washer kit and an enjoyable couple of hours fettling it and polishing the brass tank up to its as-new 1960s glory. That thing is beautiful, eye-catching, tactile and somehow reassuring.

I put paraffin in the tank and alcohol in the priming cup, lit the alky and while it was preheating the burner, I pricked the jet. With a pricker, obviously. When the alcohol was nearly consumed I closed the air screw in the filler cap, gave a gentle stroke on the pump and held my breath. There was a small flame at the jet, I pumped once more and there was a faint hissing roar. After several seconds more, I gave 10 pumps or so and my one pint wonder sprang into roaring life and I was transported back over 50 years by the sound and smell of the one-time world's most popular camping stove. It was wonderful: nostalgia is powerful stuff.

I boiled water and made coffee, a happy bunny. Ok, it's heavier than modern stoves but to offset that, a full tank will serve for a weekend at least and paraffin / kerosene is a safer and less volatile fuel than unleaded gasoline or alcohol. True, you need alcohol to prime the thing but the alcohol used to make a brew or two in an alcohol stove would be sufficient for a week's priming duties. Additionally, if you need a bigger, hotter flame, just pump it up. If you want a low simmer, bleed some of the tank air out until you have the flame you want; these things are controllable. And if the flame gets blown out, you can relight it just like a gas stove if you don't delay too much.

The days when you could buy paraffin from a pump at the petrol station are long gone but you can still buy it at garden centres and B&Q, who sell it for fuelling greenhouse heaters. You can also run them on 28sec central heating oil, which is close to kerosene and considerably cheaper, so I'm told.

My local wilderness is the practically treeless Pennines, where high level peat deposits and peat bogs serve as mute testimony to the existence of the mighty forest of the distant past. The combination of climate shift, human intervention, industrial revolution and the introduction of sheep has destroyed it. When you walk the tops, you occasionally come across roots eroding out of the peat: sad to see. In that environment alcohol stoves, paraffin stoves and gas stoves have something to offer apart from in times of drought, when the peat is tinder dry and a single spark can start a blaze which burns for weeks, when the smoke can be smelled thirty miles away and when the surrounding moors can be closed to walkers for safety and fire prevention reasons.

Give or take, my chances of collecting air dried wood for starting a small fire to make a brew -and my inclination to do that- are both zero in my present stamping ground but I can still go retro and brew up on an iconic Optimus which is sometimes, incorrectly, described as 'antique', and just be content to enjoy the moment.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Your prose on the preparing, lighting and using your stove were sheer poetry. Took me back to lighting them in stormbound tents and fearing for eyebrows 'till I was used to it. (Not that it ever did flair but tere was trepedation at first).
Couple of schools of thought on polishing. Some do, some don't as some polish can attack braze and seals. Though the glow reflected in the burnished brass is a thing to behold as you await your mug of tea after a day in the rain.
Great stove and sad that they don't get so many outings these days.
Cheers for posting.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Buadhach

Jun 2, 2015
England
OK, not much of a pic but then I'd forgotten how frustrating it is to snap shiny things!:) I put a Tatonka alky burner next to it for scale. I have a non collapsible silent burner Primus model 5 as well. -As used by my grandmother on her remote hill farm during summer, in absence of mains electricity, gas,water, sewage, telephone or bus service.... and that was after WWII, would you believe? The kettle is the small Esbit job, which I prefer to the Trangia one because it's hard anodised and assumed to be healthier. I don't think this '00 has been heavily used because there is practically no flame erosion on the pot rests.

optimus-00 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Buadhach

Jun 2, 2015
England
a former work mate of mine had one of them. i think they are great is yours in the original tin with all the bit.

Yes, with slightly rusty tin, spanner, pricker but unfortunately no original tinplate meths bottle. I can't complain for the all-up price. :)

Buadhach

Jun 2, 2015
England
Couple of schools of thought on polishing. Some do, some don't as some polish can attack braze and seals. Though the glow reflected in the burnished brass is a thing to behold as you await your mug of tea after a day in the rain....
Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.
I understand where you're coming from, polishing wise. I don't think it a great idea to let them get too crusty because a bit of a shine helps reflect the heat and saves the tank getting *too* hot. Speaking of being stormbound in a tent, you've never lived until you've been forced to light an Optimus 111B in a Blacks mountain tent. Very hard indeed to dive out through a sleeve entrance. Keeping the tank and heat shield nice and shiny on those wasn't being houseproud, it was survival tactics. Boy, can they roar -petrol at its most terrifying...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, thats funny, I just today picked up `Camping, a Penguin Handbook` By Rex Hazlewood and John Thurman (1960) and they mention how much they like Butane...

...And theres me just scored that Optimus 99 too...

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Im in the process of sorting out one of these and they are great! I used an aluninium energy shot bottle for a meths container, it fits on the stove box ok, has enough meths for about 6 lightings or so.

Last edited:

Buadhach

Jun 2, 2015
England
Very nice, JohnC, very nice. Looks like a Primus 210 and judging by the lack of erosion on the tips of the pot stands it ain't seen all that much use but a lovely patina. I'm hoping mine will go that way in a year or two, now I've removed all the crud! That thing is a piece of living history, really well worth keeping going. As you probably know, Ebay has no shortage of replacement washers and fettling tool offers. Maybe you don't know that it will work fine on White Spirit as sold by Aldi and B&Q, also 28 sec domestic heating oil.
(Attn non UK readers: your familiar White Spirits are not the same thing, being much like naptha, Coleman fuel, gasoline, petrol... Use those in a paraffin/ kerosene Primus will take you swiftly to a world of pain so be warned)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
A 99? Oh very nice, precursor to the 8R I think. Probably collectible, I'd'a thought, but much better fizzing away...

99s are really cute. If anything, a bit more practical than the 8/8Rs, as they come with their own pot/billy can (the lid). Interestingly though, they were copied quite extensively. Have a couple of genuine 99s, and two copies, which luckily work pretty well, although I'm told some copies are decidedly "iffy" - not something you want to hear about a pressurised petrol stove!

Buadhach

Jun 2, 2015
England
Primus 96 at Britton Wood last Saturday Night and Sunday Morning. :)

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/Primus_96.jpg

That's one beautiful blue flame; the 96 was once advertised as a pocket stove. It'd have to be a poacher's pocket! I'm lusting after a 96 sized Manaslu. The tank is the same size as a 96's but the burner is patterned after a '00, beautiful thing but the Japanese manufacturers can't keep up with the demand: they may as well be made of unobtanium. :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE