Liquid Stove Fuel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

modelmakerman

Aug 27, 2015
Bristol, UK
First post here but been lurking and reading for a long time; great site, really useful info everywhere.

Im new to liguid fuel stoves but Ive been using various liquid fuel lamps for years (mainly parafin/kerosene).

I recently bought a Coleman 424 stove second hand. Ive checked it all over and replaced the valve and generator. Everything seems to be working fine..... except I cannot get it to run properly. I always have a yellow flame no matter what I do, Ive looked around and seen a load of tutorials and as far as I can see the stove is working fine and Im lighting it correctly.

So the only thing I can think of is the fuel; Im using Panel wipe. Now I have to admit I bought this stove purely because I heard from many sources that it runs well on panel wipe and as I have a *cough* free *cough* supply of it from work I thought I was onto a winner but it seems maybe not?

The Panel wipe Im using is UPOL System 20 Panel wipe/Degreaser. MSDS Here: http://www.u-pol.co.uk/documents/datasheets/hsds/S2001-HSDS-US.pdf

The MSDS says it is "LOW BOILING POINT MODIFIED NAPHTHA - NAPHTHA (PETROLEUM), SOLVENTREFINED LIGHT". Which seems to me it should work fine as Coleman fuel is just Naphtha too?

I dont want to pay the extortionate prices for Coleman Fuel over here in the UK and I dont want to use Petrol either (smells and generator issues).

Is there any way I can make this panel wipe work or is there a better brand panel wipe I can find that will work?

Thanks
Dave

Phil P

Oct 8, 2014
West Lothian
I used panel wipe in Feather 442 and never had a problem getting it to burn clear. If you,ve swapped all the valves, etc, the only thing I can think of is maybe you're not giving the generator enough time to heat up and vapourise the fuel.

Ultimately get a Jetboil. I had the 442 and thought it was great until I had a bad experience with it; Naptha burns really well, vapourised Naptha burns even better. Personally I wouldn't go back to liquid fuels if you paid me.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi,
My mate got one , and use petrol all the time with no prob's. Yes to the smell of petrol and the carry of it.

Topknot

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Saying "panel wipe" is a bit like saying "chocolate". There are many and various kinds. Some panel wipes are water based! And Coleman fuel isn't "just naptha" - this from a Coleman employee:

Although Coleman fuel and other camp fuels are routinely called white gas, they are actually a naphtha. The two are very similar in characteristics. Naphtha is refined one more step and is therefore considered cleaner. It also has a slightly lower boiling point than unleaded gasoline, although it is in practicality undetectable. Coleman fuel has some additives to help prevent rusting of internal parts and facilitate long shelf life.

I feel confident in recommending it for other brands of stoves that burn "white gas," but it would be prudent to check with the stove manufacturer.

Jim Reid --- Coleman, Director of Public Relations

However by the sound of it the Coleman Feather (if that's what it is?) *should* burn your fuel OK. Maybe it needs more cleaning, or a replacement jet?
But it does seem possible that your purchase might not have been the greatest bargain you'll ever get. :(

I'd suggest using using a bit of petrol in the Feather just as a test, or some of your panel wipe in another petrol-type stove to see how it behaves.

The Coleman isn't my favourite stove by a long way but they do normally work well enough.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i have one of these stoves and run it on either coleman fuel, or panel wipe when i can be bothered to track it down.
i had quite a few issues when i first bought mine (2nd hand off evil bay), replaced the generator tube, cleaned it out with brake cleaner and all sorts.
the issue with mine was the choke valve wasn't set true. in all the blurb, it tells you to start it at the 12 0'clock position and then move it down to the 6 o'clock when warm. after a lot of fiddling about, mine starts cold in the 2 o'clock position then moves round to the 5 o'clock. otherwise all i get is a sooty , yellow flame or it goes out.
when running well, they are a good stove, just take a bit of playing with to work out their temperaments.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've no problems with panel wipe, used it for years, may sound daft but are you pumping the stove enough? Steer clear of car petrol, nasty stuff, its use frowned upon by stove and lantern collectors.

Aspen 4T is very clean fuel
George Carr & Sons Ltd - Aspen 2 & 4 (55.1 miles)
37-47 North Street, Bedminster Bristol BS3 1EW
http://georgecarrpowerproducts.co.uk/
Tel: 01179 669845
info@georgecarrpowerproducts.co.uk

stock it, may be worth you buying a litre bottle

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE