Multi fuel stove on eBay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Stove arrived this morning, rapid delivery.

went to the local motor factors, big in this area, never heard of panel wipe.... Any brand names ?

so used some unleaded for the lawnmower, worked ok, bit of a beast >:)

Question is though having never had a stove like this and all instruction in foreign, when traveling with it do you leave the little pump pressurizer in all the time or use the screw cap. If using screw cap, how do you de-pressurize it when returning back to the screw cap ?

Stoo.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Question is though having never had a stove like this and all instruction in foreign, when traveling with it do you leave the little pump pressurizer in all the time or use the screw cap. If using screw cap, how do you de-pressurize it when returning back to the screw cap ?

When you had it in pieces did you notice the pump had a long tube with a white filter on the end of it? That sticks out to one side deliberatley, when the bottle is laid down flat one way it's one the bottom, in whatever fuel is left, when spun through 180 degress that then sticks up into then the presurised air space. Presumable you have it this way up with the valve open to depresurise, then you can swap it for the plain top, though I believe you can leave the pump attached if you want.

I've deliberately avoided saying whether to flip the bottle while it's still burning or whether to let stove go out and cool a bit first as I'm not confident I do it the "correct" way, those with more experience need to chip in here.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Hi,

Thanks for reply, yes it does have a white filter bit that sticks out at an angle, I will try that next time, i have decided to leave it stored with the pump attached, and when traveling to risk damaging the plastic tube the filter is attached to.

Hopefully this is ok, and more or less negates the need for the other cap.

Stooboy.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Flip the bottle over when the stove is lit (WITH CARE) and this will purge any fuel left in the line, and allow the air out of the fuel bottle. I tend to carry the pump separately to the fuel bottle, just habit, no particular reason behind it.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've just bid for one.
£30 delivered and 8hrs to go.
I've been looking at getting a new stove for a while. This just ticks all the boxes.
I'll be taking this one to the moot I think.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Finally got around to trying this with a liquid fuel rather than gas.

Unfortunately in mine the fuel leaks out of the top of the pump (where the piston enters the chamber). I assume the problem is with the seals in the pump but I can see nothing wrong with the O-rings or pump cup.

There is not a particularly close fit between the piston and the plastic washer inside the top cap to the pump but as this is a moving (wear) part I assume this is not expected to provide much of a seal.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,

Huon

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Well I won.
£19.95 and £8 delivery
Bargain.
Looking forward to trying it out now.
Did it come with a fuel bottle? The ebay listing wasn't clear on that.
No problem if it doesn't I've got a few kicking about in my gear cupboard.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Hi Graham,

Mine came with a 530ml fuel bottle.

You got a good price.

BTW, the guy who runs the shop seems very helpful. Far better customer service than I'd expected under the circumstances.

Cheers,

Huon

Well I won.
£19.95 and £8 delivery
Bargain.
Looking forward to trying it out now.
Did it come with a fuel bottle? The ebay listing wasn't clear on that.
No problem if it doesn't I've got a few kicking about in my gear cupboard.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Finally got around to trying this with a liquid fuel rather than gas.

Unfortunately in mine the fuel leaks out of the top of the pump (where the piston enters the chamber). I assume the problem is with the seals in the pump but I can see nothing wrong with the O-rings or pump cup.

There is not a particularly close fit between the piston and the plastic washer inside the top cap to the pump but as this is a moving (wear) part I assume this is not expected to provide much of a seal.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,

Sounds like the Non Return Valve has jammed. I'm working night shifts until Saturday, then I'll strip mine down to see what the NRV looks like and get back to you

Richard
Huon

Sounds like the Non Return Valve has jammed. I'm working night shifts until Saturday, then I'll strip mine down to see what the NRV looks like and get back to you

Richard

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Hi Rik,

I checked the non-return valve - a stubby brass pin with an O-ring in the bottom of the pump. No obvious problems and I don't think it is sticking. I also looked for debris and roughness in there but couldn't see anything obvious.

I can remove the cap to the non-return but can't take off the entire end assembly (joint at the bottom of the pump with the larger O-ring) as it is too tight. I think I'd shear other bits of the pump before this came off. I'm wondering if the problem might be with the seal there. When you strip your pump would you mind trying to take this off as well? I'd like to know if you can remove this and how it looks to you.

Cheers,

Huon

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I got mine the other day, so I got some coleman fuel and a gas cartridge.
after sorting out a couple of leaks due to poorly fitted o rings I fired it up.
first the gas. hmm, roary :D glows red, plenty of heat, seems fairly adjustable.
next, the coleman fuel. I pumped it up, let out some fuel to soak the priming mat, and lit the stove. as expected, a burst of flame. I let it warm up, then opened the valve.
Oh. My. God.
It's a damn jet engine!
it kicks my dual fuel into touch. seriously powerful.

bailout

Jul 17, 2008
devon
Firstly, Hi to everyone, I joined up just for this thread :)

I saw these stoves on ebay a couple of weeks ago and posted on another forum to see if anyone had tried them but with no luck so I have been interested to read this thread. I have some questions that I am going to be anal about and list.

1 How are the stoves going now people have had them a while? I am very tempted and they seem a bargain but not if they pack up quickly. Also what are user's general opinions about the stoves now?

2 Has anyone investigated whether they are compatable with spares from one of the major brands? I am wondering whether if something went wrong whether a spare pump or connecting tube could be bought of another brand and used.

3 How controllable is the flame when burning liquid fuels? Is it possible to simmer or is it just a choice between off and burnt?

4 Is the trangia conversion permanent or can you put the original legs/body back on?

5 They are listed on ebay uk in pounds with no buy now or offer option but a start bid of 20 + 10 p&p. This is a few pounds more than the offer price people seem to be getting on the us version. How does ebay/paypal handle currency conversion charges?

6 How long did they take to arrive?

7 What liquid fuels, if any, can it burn other than petrol?

Many thanks

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
Hi rik, probably a stupid question but what is panel wipe ?

i am a firefighter: last sunday we went to a portacabin on fire, we asked the security guard what was in it and he said " only panel wipe", i guessed it was probably a nickname for some sort of solvent, didn't realise it was " gunkless petrol".

could have been nasty:eek:

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Michael, if its any help I offered $20 and it was refused they are only taking $40 offers!!!
I know cause I ran out of offers trying to get it cheap and now ebay rules wont let me bid now dohhhhhhh!!
Bailout cant help you with your questions but maybe Rik will be along soon....oh and welcome to the forum have fun.
Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE