Most useful things you have made

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
1) What's the most useful thing you've made to use out and about ?

2) What's the most useful thing you've made out and about from what you've found there ?

Mine are my wool bushshirt, and I think probably basketry of some kind or other,

cheers,
Toddy

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Has to be the tipi, much of which was made on site, so qualifies for both questions, at a push...

DSCF4712copy.jpg

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
answer to 1) coke can stove, invaluable when trekking light!
answer to 2) probably the disposable stuff I make when I'm out there, choppingboards etc!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Probably my hazel walking staff, shotgun base with a nail as a wearing plate, and a leather thong through the handle section. Debarked apart from the last eight inches or so to afford some sort of grip, it is a constant companion. The stick is slightly wavy and not snooker cue straight, but I like it that way. Currently, I have a massive hazel staff seasoning, it will make a fine quarter staff!

Number 2 has to be one of the two benches I've made, one with Scruff and the other with my daughter. The one I made with Rachel is deep in a local wood where nobody goes, right in the middle of a dense bluebell patch (at this time of year) and it is great to sit on a bench in a sea of blue! The one I made with Scruff is a simple affair but makes life a bit more comfy in Yellow Hand camp. Sitting by the stream on the bench with a billy of coffee on the go is a fine way to spend a summer evening!

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Mary,

1 Would also be my Wool blanket shirt.
blanketshirt320x200.jpg

2 One of these :D
teatennents640x480.jpg

And no i don,t mean the tin of lager.:bluThinki ,although it wood be nice if you could whittle a tin of lager from the odd dead branch.:lmao:

Cheers Stuart.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The most useful thing I have made...thats a tough one!
Perhaps my book - "A Basic Guide to Making your own Budget Bushcrafting Equipment"
as other folk can use it to make gear and I get a bit of cash/trades for it...Perhaps my Blanket Hoody
Oct25752.jpg

perhaps my favourite knife (I was given the blade)
Damascusbushy.jpg

or my chair
BushChair.jpg

As to the most useful thing I have made on site...
That has to be a simple spatula - made it years ago and it has been with me on numerous trips now and is an invaluable tool!

That and the friendships I have made - which will (hopefully) outlast any spatula!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hard to say really.

I think its the canvas bags I made for my nesting pots.

used to rattle but now each pot is in a bag which goes into the next.

keeps soot off things too

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Besides the bows and knives etc the most useful thing i make when out is a spatula. You cant do proper bacon and fried eggs without one :eek:
I can knock one up from log to spatula in about 5 minutes, then when grease soaked and black it goes in the fire :)

May 28, 2009
UK
The most useful thing I've made to use out and about-

063.jpg

A spoon i just now carved. My other one broke

The most useful thing I've made out and about from what you've found there-

062.jpg

This bowdrill was made when I was "out and about" and had no matches left and I couldnt find my firesteel. I've had this for a while now and I use it every once and a while. (I later found my firesteel behind the pile of firewood i used for my bowdrill fire)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I guess my hobo stove would be one of my best makes at home.

Out and about I often do leatherwork but I don't think that counts as it's not found materials. (Although I did once make a leather fan belt which got a Ford Transit 300 miles to a garage which was pretty useful.)

I'm not much of a wood worker but I have made a few walking sticks, tent poles and pot hangers in my day though.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Like Wilderbeast, my most useful item made at home would probably be my mini pop can stove.

The most useful item I typically make on-site would probably be a mallet - very useful for making other useful things. My favourite would probably be the classic three-legged camp stool.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Made the handle from this knife recently while I was out and about, really usefull carver and is getting used everyday.

DSC_0334.jpg

Loads of spoons and bark containers and hazel staff have come in usefull that get used in my kit.

ws6.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE