Most Reliable Firestarter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Other than windproof/waterproof matches, what is the most reliable fire starter you can carry in your kit? Not "blow torch", "flame thrower" etc, but really something that is carried by experienced outdoorsmen.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Depends what yu mean by reliable I guess!

Easiest to use with dodgy tinder? Probably a ferrocium rod.

Easiest to use almost forever? Flint & Steel

A decent storm lighter (butane type) is always worth carrying too.

Red

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
A ferro rod mounted in a magnesium bar. If you go in the water on a canoe trip, you can still rely on this to work. The ferro rod will corrode, though, over time but if you put a coat of beeswax on it, you won't have a problem. But save it as your backup ferro rod so you don't remove the wax. A ferro rod and vaseline-impregnated cotton balls work better if the cotton balls are in a solid waterproof container although they are fairly waterproof as is. You can get a fire going very quickly with these and a cotton ball will burn long enough to get damp twigs or woodshavings burning. This could be critical in some circumstances.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Aye, the ferro rod for me too, although I carry extra matches. Wanna get good at the friction techniques too, but at the moment I wouldn't rely on it.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Personally I use a traditional steel, piece of flint, char tube and some hemp string.

One or two strikes onto the charred end of the wick and I get a good ember. Then that is placed into a nest made out of the hemp string. Flames in no time and all fits into a small pouch.

Dead easy for the kids to use as well.

George

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
From a survival point of view its a ferro rod (it works if im canoeing or walking wet or dry)

For enjoyment it has to be trad flint and steel and cramp ball or char cloth if im in a hurry (only just made a char tube and havnt tried it in anger yet)

Bow drill must be the most rewarding though (for me)

E

eros69

you cant go wrong with a jet flame lighter. I carry a Brunton helios (But also always carry a fire steel just in case)
I also agree with Mungo. I tend to have some wet flame tinder on me as it will light ANY where. Even though it's rarely used, it's comforting to know it's there.

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
For me it is a jet flame lighter for easy fire lighting, fire steel to use when I find good tinder. I also carry matched in the pack, I haven't used them for ages but am reluctant to take them out.

I usually have (in my full kit)

2 x Army firesteels
2 x butane jet type lighters
1 x film tub of strike anywhere matches sealed with electrical tape

Ditch kit has an Ultimate Survival small Peli case which has some wet fire tinder and a fire flash steel.

Might be overkill but I know somewhere in my kit I will have the means of making fire.

Stewey the pyromaniac!:D

A

appletree_man

Just bought my first proper ferro rod (used a little BCB Ranger before that). I need a lot of practice with it.

I also have a small survival kit with a Spark-Lite, and their excelent tinder. Haven't used it on natural tinder yet, but with the supplied tinder it always works first time.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
New fire steel type and a lighter, recently tried strips of innertube for the first time and it was very relible cheap and pretty indestructable. I know its not full of the best stuff but you dont need much to get wet kindling going ;)

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
for me i carry a swedish fire steel or mag. bar and a trioxane heat tablet.....works all the time even with damp wood...no other gimicks needed..:) ..vince g. 11b inf...

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Nice method Martyn, gonna try it out!

other day saw a video of someone lighting a candle with firesteel but I didn´t make it.. just ruined the candle :)

A

appletree_man

Firesteel every time. Get your techniques sorted and they are as easy to use as a lighter, more reliable and last far, far longer. A little practice required, but well worth the effort. You dont even need tinder in the traditional sense...

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=9199114816719434291

I'm been trying this video technique out tonight, it works brilliantly with any paper.
Newspaper, toilet paper, post-it notes, it all worked within a handful of strikes. Top tip.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Ferro rod and cotton wool/vasaline.
35mm film containers are ideal for storing this tinder.
It's my firelighting method of choice. It works really well.
I can use other methods, but when I reallyneed a cup of tea, that's the method I use to get the fire lit.

A

appletree_man

I made the mistake of trying to saw a little bit off the bottom of a Spark-Lite, then found out the bloody tension spring goes almost all the way to the bottom.
One ruined Spark-Lite :-(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE