Any good windproof lighters?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
I picked up a SOTO Pocket Torch XT last year because it looked like the perfect tool for lighting barbecues, firepits etc. It turned out to be utterly woeful. Often it won't even light indoors.

I've tried a Soto Micro Torch which is more reliable but loses out on the extendability of the Pocket Torch XT.

I'm after something I can hand over to others in our camping group, so fire steels aren't really an option.

Anyone got any good recommendations for a simple lighter that will do the trick?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Reactions: TeeDee

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Thanks for all the suggestions...
These Honest ones are brilliant. I bought 10 of them years ago, I‘m on my second one because I lost the first one and have given the rest away. I may still have one if you’d like it, and if I can find it. If ever a lighter was going to win the 10 strikes challenge, this is my entry.

Cheers. I'll give one of these a try.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Wish I’d read this bought a Soto micro 2 weeks to replace my turbo lighter that stopped working. Hoping it would be a useful outdoor tool. So far ok but reading original comment think I should have sourced another turbo lighter.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've owned both Windmill and Silva high end turbo lighters. I try to obey Thumpers rule but damn they were a waste of money. I now have a simple turbo lighter for a few pounds. I carry them every day. MUCH better.

This is what I carry. I get at least 500 days out of each one which is more than I get from fancy models tbh.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It might be worth looking at the electric ones which everyone seems to be heading that way.
The plasma lighters? If that‘s what you mean, they’re pretty rubbish unless all you need is a hot spark. In which case a ferro rod is a more reliable lighter. They’ll light a fag or a bit of paper, but no way will they light a meths burner or lantern, even a gas stove and you’ll lose a few hairs because you have to get in close.

Also, they need charging, which means there’s a fallible battery inside. Unlike a gas lighter, you have no idea the state of the charge or battery because there’s no looking or feeling the liquid.

If you want mine, generic orange version, drop a PM with your address and I’ll post it over so you can experience the general uselessness of it. :D

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I've owned both Windmill and Silva high end turbo lighters. I try to obey Thumpers rule but damn they were a waste of money. I now have a simple turbo lighter for a few pounds. I carry them every day. MUCH better.

This is what I carry. I get at least 500 days out of each one which is more than I get from fancy models tbh.

Better price as well

Reactions: British Red

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

I wonder why they're sold out... :dunno:

Reactions: British Red

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE