Mosquito Repellents - any advise please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gray1100

May 4, 2010
UK
Hello

We are planning a trip to southen Spain and after reading so much on the web about Mosquito Repellents I thought the sensible thing was to ask.
Out of all the products, potions and sprays - What really does work to stop yourself getting bitten?
Apart from the obvious i.e. keeping clean, none scented soaps, light colours clothes and covering up.

So if your use a product that works please could you share that information.
Currently the wife googling products like Nosilife from Craghoppers, mosiguard in the stick form and the life systems battery operated mosquito killer.
Obviously staying well away from Deet and taking 2 small children one with a skin condition.

Many thanks
Gray

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No idea what's available there but nonscented or scented soaps don't really matter; and light colors actually attract skeeters (and most bugs)

If it's available there, I like "Off" insect repellant. It repels mosquitos, flies, and most gnats (midges) It has a downside but; the sweet smell attracting bears shouldn't be a problem in Spain.

Last edited:

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Smidge is very good and not just for midges. Wilmas Nordic Summer seems to keep all flying nasties away including horseflies. Aside from that Deet based products will definitely work but melt plastics and contain deet obviously.
Have a great trip!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Gray1100

May 4, 2010
UK
Thanks for the advice. The problem is the place we are staying is near some wetlands and after calling the hotel to ask them if they have mosquito's the answer was:
"Oh! God Yes" which has kind of worried the wife. Also, with the children, she does not want to use Deet.

bohXI

Jul 16, 2012
Kettering
I generally use Avon skin so soft and tar soap which seems to keep them at bay.

That said I don't usually suffer with them too much anyway :/

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I make my own fly dope from a roughly equal mixture of Citronella, Tea tree and Eucalyptus oils with Beck Oil.
Generally it works well but this last weekend I think the Mozzies were just treating it as seasoning.
mosquitos.gif

I've never known them so bad.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Another vote for 'Wilmas Nordic Summer', it certainly keeps all the biting insects I encounter at bay, however you and your family will smell of pine forest and campfires. :)

I make my own fly dope from a roughly equal mixture of Citronella, Tea tree and Eucalyptus oils with Beck Oil.
Generally it works well but this last weekend I think the Mozzies were just treating it as seasoning.
mosquitos.gif

I've never known them so bad.

interesting i might give that mix a go myself

I reckon the wet then heat then wet has really boosted mozzies and other biting beasites a lot this year

usually use nordic summer

main advise i would give is put it on before you need it, me and i camp @ butlins got chewed on something horrific by the time we put some on the damage was done

MattB

Jul 9, 2012
UK
I find that the only thing that works for me is 50DEET + citronella...

It seems to be an individual thing - some people are more prone and so need more protection, others are lucky!

I'm not one of the lucky ones.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I've been using jungle formula for the last few years (contains deet I'm afraid), but this year nothing seems to keep them away - I got bitten yesterday on my arm which was still wet with repellent as it had only been on for 30 seconds. Thought I would give 3M Ultrathon a try (http://ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultrathon-3M-...velTickets_Accessories_RL&hash=item43b24c01c9 - 5 tubes for £12.99 bargain!), have also heard lots of glowing reports for Nordic Summer too so would try that if I was avoiding deet.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Jungle formula or another Deet based nasty for clothing and Avon skin so soft for, well skin lol.
I tend to find mozzies only ge tme at night when i cant hear or see them coming. It would be well worth grabbing some mozzie bed nets and rigging them up for the kids.
Bed nets are only cheap and very light so shouldnt be a problem packing them. Might also be more of an "adventure" for the kids.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Is there a known issue with Deet and children?
I know at certain concentrations it shouldn't be used under certain ages, but apart from that what issues are there?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Gray, the mozies down there will eat you raw, DEET, tropical strength is proven to work, take lots with you and have a great trip instead of sitting there wishing you had packed it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Is there a known issue with Deet and children?
I know at certain concentrations it shouldn't be used under certain ages, but apart from that what issues are there?

I hope not. It's what the county uses in the fogger trucks here to fog whole neighborhoods.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
If you go for Avon skin so soft i think that there is a spray and cream version and one has a higher citronella content than the other and is more effective, but i can't remember which it is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE