Mortars and pestles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I need one but they are not cheap

anyone know the best to go for?

Theres a choice between ceramic, wood glass, brass and stone (either marble or granite)

stone is pretty (and pricey) but I have my reservations

granite has small fissures in it -not good for hygene!

marble is porous (which is why no kitchen fitter will supply you with marble worktops these days)

what is the best size anyway???

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They're very good tools and I have, and use, five of them.
If I could only have one, then my choice would be my big granite one, but the ceramic one from Ikea is very good and very cheap.
I grind everything from seeds and roots and nuts to grains in mine.

I did find a good leaf grinder on ebay for under £2, turns out it's meant for recreational hemp :eek: :eek: but if you want to grind up leaves ets., out in the woods it's excellent, lightweight and dirt cheap :D

cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, those little grinders are great... ;)

As for a mortal and pestle, it all depends what you want it for I guess. I have a little marble one that's just the job for kitchen use - peppercorns, coriander seed, sea salt, etc... Can't be more than 3" across, but it's pretty heavy.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol

Theres a choice between ceramic, wood glass, brass and stone (either marble or granite)

marble is porous (which is why no kitchen fitter will supply you with marble worktops these days)

I've got a ceramic one from Ikea, when I used it, it is very good, but I hardly use it now. it seemed like a good idea at the time, I use a flat knife or a coffee grinder.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon

I made my own set Tengu. A birch mortar and hazel pestle. I made a handle attached to the mortar for better control (keeping it still) and it's light enough to take with you into the woods. I'll post a picture up in the gallery if you like ? Very easy to make especially the pestle, just find a straight piece of hazel, debark and shape with your knife. The mortar involved a bit more work as abviously you've got to carve out the bowl or burn it out, but as with all stuff folks make themselves it's a pleasure to use.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Depends on what you want to grind

A deep one will not let so many sparks and splinters escape.

Wouldnt spend tooooooooooo much on it unless you want it for kitchen decoration.

Lets face it , a large rock in the garden and a hammer will do the same job, and if you havent got a hammer then a large flat rock and a smaller one in your hand.

Wash carefully before use and off you go :)

Tant

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Best bet is to buy at least 2 - you'll sooner or later want to be grinding up stuff in one for cooking, and stuff in another for dying, glueing etc - and you'll not want to get the two mixed up! Took ages to get th charcoal and pine resin out of one of mine when I used it for making pitch :rolleyes:

Joeri

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2006
Netherlands
www.niceisotherwise.nl
I guess the cheapest of getting them is in a chinese shop. if you have a chinese neighborhood in you city that would be the place to go! over here in Amsterdam they will cost i think between 10 and 20 euro's...

I personnally have a small ceramic one for grounding seeds, garlic and stuff like that. But i find that when making curry or indonesian stews (and thus need to mix in a lot of union) i rather use my second en bigger granite one. Granite is has a rougher surface and grinds better in my opinion.

in general I find that puting in little compared to the size of the mortar makes grinding easier. So my advice is to buy one that's not to small, unless you only put in a few cloves of garlic and some seeds...

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have managed to break two marble ones, grinding daft stuff like natural chalk. The ikea ceramic is about the best for practicality and price. But saying that a large plastic mixing bowl and the end of a rolling pin is really effective for do large amounts of seeds etc. I tend to hold the bowl between my feet and pound away with a radio on. I find it more energy efficient than pestle and mortar,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE