More restrictions??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Report in The Herald today about Police chiefs calling for a cooling off period when buying *kitchen* knives......I've got 180 kids to work with this summer and permission to teach them how to use knives, saws, axes and billhooks properly....they even gave us a budget to buy the tools :D If these guys get their way then I'm going to be public enemy No.1 :eek: :(

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/40866.html

Not so cheerful,
Toddy

I read this in the article:
"The move comes just a day after two men and a woman were attacked in Glasgow with knives in the latest "happy slapping" incident – in which youths use mobile phones to record assaults on unsuspecting victims."

Does that really happen with any regularity over there now? I haven't been back in over twenty years.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It does happen, however there is little likelihood of it happening to you unless you are male and aged 15 - 25.

There were however sixty knife related deaths in Scotland last year, although I doubt very many were inflicted by £80 - £250, four inch blade, scandi grind type knifes in the possession of sensible, law abiding citizens.

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Do they seriously think that banning a type of knife will stop knife-related crimes?

That would be as brilliant as to ban 9mm but not .22 guns. And banning all knives does make one remember the old Manchurian regime in ancient China who banned all but 1 knife per two villages to avoid any uprising being of the armed variant :)

I think personally they might look into the mechanics of these crimes instead of the tool used. If you take one tool away (such as knives) another will be used (billyclubs, baseballbats, pipes, cars, chains, etc etc etc)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Have to agree with everything so far.
Its the "Yoof" culture looking for the regular buzz of excitement that they seem to require. The banning of knives, airguns and "insert next thing to be banned here" is just the governments knee jerk reaction, so they can claim the votes of the populace as they are seen to be "doing something about it"

As if you'd want to buy a knife every week because the one you bought last week has disolved into the ether :confused:

Ogri the trog

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Ogri the trog said:
Its the "Yoof" culture looking for the regular buzz of excitement that they seem to require.

Turning that on its head slightly, there are a number of people in our society who get a kick out of getting things banned - I'd suggest this is just them looking for their latest easy fix...

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
I've got to be careful what I say in response to that, I know lots of people would love to see Jamie Oliver and his kind locked up but the facts are that there are many things which kill more people than knives or other 'weapons'.

The hot summer weather last year resulted in thousands of deaths, no ban on the causes of climate change is proposed though.

Cars kill over 3,000 people every year in Britain, so the government says build more roads so they don't get congested rather than ban them.

One of the biggest killers is work, either accidents at work, on the way to and from work or work related disease but I don't think they will suggest banning work.

What happens if you say in order to protect yourself you want to get away from roads and live in the woods in a little seheter you've built, foraging and hunting your own food and so not having to go to work and risk your life?

They tell you you can't because it's banned under the planning laws. And even fishing for a bit of food in a pond you own needs a license so you have to risk life, limb and sanity going to work to get the money to buy one or that is banned as well.

It's great living in such a free country isn't it???

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
R-Bowskill said:
I've got to be careful what I say in response to that, I know lots of people would love to see Jamie Oliver and his kind locked up but the facts are that there are many things which kill more people than knives or other 'weapons'.

The hot summer weather last year resulted in thousands of deaths, no ban on the causes of climate change is proposed though.

Cars kill over 3,000 people every year in Britain, so the government says build more roads so they don't get congested rather than ban them.

One of the biggest killers is work, either accidents at work, on the way to and from work or work related disease but I don't think they will suggest banning work.

What happens if you say in order to protect yourself you want to get away from roads and live in the woods in a little seheter you've built, foraging and hunting your own food and so not having to go to work and risk your life?

They tell you you can't because it's banned under the planning laws. And even fishing for a bit of food in a pond you own needs a license so you have to risk life, limb and sanity going to work to get the money to buy one or that is banned as well.

It's great living in such a free country isn't it???

I read that most fatal accidents occur in the home. That scared me so much, I moved out.

Keith.

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Life is dangerous, it always gets you in the end :)

Seriously though, this does sound like a "woo.. election times. how can i score some brownie points with the general public" thing. Imho however this would misfire a bit :)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Nothing the Government does anymore suprises me.

I don't have a lot to say about this as it won't make any difference to them banning things but here's my bit....

Inanimate objects don't kill/maim people....other people kill/main people.

What possible reason do they have for banning knives? We have laws against murder, laws against intimidation, laws against rape, robbery, mugging and GBH/ABH, all of these carry very harsh sentances (should the courts chose to dish them out), with Murder carrying a potencial life sentance (where life could even mean the rest of your life).
They have the legal tools to deal with these thugs already regardless of whatever type of weapon (or none) that was used. So if the thugs aren't worried by a possible life sentance then are they really going to give a monkeys about a year or so extra for having a knife with them? ? ? I think not.

All these laws do is to criminalise a large part of our social group for no good purpose other than we choose to carry a sharp tool with us sometimes....moreover the thugs are criminals either way due to the assult or ABH etc they have carried out while using the knife.

Example: A mugger uses a knife at a mugging, so he can be "done" for the mugging.
A bushcrafter uses a knife to carve a spoon, so he harms nobody and should be left to enjoy his hobby. It's not exactly rocket science now is it? ? ? ? ? :rolleyes:

For Murder the sentance should always be a full 30 years inside and for all the other offences I've listed above (and a few I've not) the sentance should fit the crime but be DOUBLED if ANY form of weapon was used.
Now, the important bit is not what new knife laws they bring out...the important bit is that the courts ALWAYS give the harshes sentances they can and make sure EVERYBODY knows this....then maybe, just maybe the little thugs may think twice about what they do when they realise that most of their mates are inside doing a 10 to 25 year stretch. These thugs aren't the sharpest tool in the box but if our courts give out the same treatment time after time after time then sooner or later the thugs will get the message.
Personally I couldn't give a monkeys if they are reabilitated or not so long as they are locked away and can't do anymore damage or upset to innocent people.

I used to giggle when I saw people going through the US legal system and getting like 99 years in prison or 145 years or whatever....what's the point of a 145 year sentance I thought, how typically ott for the yanks...ha ha. Now i realise it's a very very good way to stop the do-good lawyers getting their scumball clients out of prison after only a few years...e.g even if you make parole and only serve a third of your sentance (which happens a lot over here), if you were given 145 years then you'd only be up for parole after about 46 years.... I don't know many people who wouldn't brick it when faced with 46 years locked away!

Just my opinion anyway :D

Cheers,

Bam.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Funny this, because I thought it was already illegal for under 18's to buy knives, and definitely illegal for anyone to 'carry' such a beasty too. So does this also mean that the little darlings won't raid mum's kitchen draw anymore?

Yet another Victory Party restriction on the disarmed masses then.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I Make you right spacemonkey, what will do next pass a law that all kitchen utencils are to be cept under lock and key? i can see it now "police raid granny smiths house break down door and arrest her because a by passer saw an offencive potato peeler laying menisingly on her draining board!" :rolleyes: . Toddy you sound like you are doing the right and correct thing by educating kids to the fact a knife is i usefull TOOL and not something you take to school to use as a lunch money removal device! well done ;) , it is a fact though that most knife related offences are carried out with "kitchen knives" not "Tactical or craft type knives" perhaps we should all use Gill Hibben rambo stylie knives to peel our spuds with eh :D ;)

Joules

May 24, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Hmmmm, I can't help thinking!!!... We can't have the local populous killing each other, or worse, us MP's. Now we do have a somewhat large number of heavilly armed young men, with purpose made weapons killing people around the world. Yep, no problem with that... :eek:

I'd love to see the health and safety minister on the front line...

Joules

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Paganwolf said:
I can see it now "police raid granny smiths house break down door and arrest her because a by passer saw an offencive potato peeler laying menisingly on her draining board!" :rolleyes:

What's more sad JP is that going on previous form what you say above is exactly what will happen as Granny won't know the ins and outs of the Human Rights Laws and so will be a nice easy conviction and look good on the Stats!!!!

Sad isn't it.... :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE