More of my stalking knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I haven't made any bushcraft knives in a long time, but I intend to soon. I've been uber busy doing my stalking knives - of which there are currently three models, with, ahem sorry Dunc, three more drawn out.....

These two go out tomorrow, three more next week.......

WP_20130321_009.jpg

WP_20130321_007.jpg

WP_20130321_005.jpg

WP_20130321_004.jpg

WP_20130321_001.jpg

Just thought I'd share what I'm up to.

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The handle shape makes it easy to twist around and the thumb ramp allows for some of the ickier stuff.

The blades are tough stainless - RWL34 and N690, the wood is always stabilised with polypropelene liners for game hygiene and the grind is built around disassembling deer.

That and Andy - professional stalker mate - and I designed it for that use.

The handle shape makes it easy to twist around and the thumb ramp allows for some of the ickier stuff.

The blades are tough stainless - RWL34 and N690, the wood is always stabilised with polypropelene liners for game hygiene and the grind is built around disassembling deer.

That and Andy - professional stalker mate - and I designed it for that use.

Thanks for clarification. All makes sense now.
Is a lovely knife

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Cheers, there's loads more to it., that drop at the end prevents piercing the innards on a gralloch, belly right for skinning, thick enough to deal with joints but sharp enough for the sinews...

Took three years to get it right.

Thanks for all the kind words.

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Very nice work there, its nice to see something other than a woodlore once in a while. Beautifull scales :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Cheers, there's loads more to it......

Took three years to get it right.

Very handsome looking knives Dougster.
Would you say thats the perfect bevel for a butchering knife in RWL34 then? Is that small secondary bevel, superior to a true convex? If so why?

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Not really Dave, it is a great functional edge - but these are N690. This is easily maintained on something like a sharpmaker of Lansky fold a vee. I convex mine as I prefer that edge.

Most of the guys buying this rather the secondary as it is easier to maintain with the kit mentioned.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ah Right. I was thinking of buying an RWL 34 blank from here and building my own, but was undecided on what type of edge to get. Thanks.
[Think I'll get a convex one.]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE