More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Finally had a chance to derust some stuff today, mainly a bunch of files I got in a job lot for steel stock but some we're too good. For me to wreck. Many apologies to the person I'm doing them for, just need to turn the handles now. Unfortunately the coarse ones had big chips in them when I got the cement and glue etc off them so they got chucked back in the to forge pile

image.jpg1_zpskiqnna3r.jpg

Unmarked 12" round 2nd cut file
10" flat 2nd Bedford Sheffield Made in England
10" half round 2nd cut Sheffield Steel Products Ltd Sheffield England
12" flat smooth Sanderson Bros & Newbould Sheffield Sandblast England
unmarked 14"round 1st/ rough ( I can never remember the proper names for files!)
14" flat smooth Despatch Sheffield England
14" flat 2nd cut John Baker and Sons Sheffield

also did some bits for myself, 10" Elliot Lucas Cannock England Elect Ultra Tensile pliers
really narrow 7" cobbler ( I think ) nail pullers, unmarked.
10" scissors, Champion Sheffield England, need new bolt as turn screw slot chavelled and sharpening. Rest need the wood work sorting and in the case of the little gouge sharpening.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
This needed a second, overnight, soak in the citric acid solution as there was some gum like stuff in the teeth that would not come out after my normal half a hour or so in hot solution. That cured it and a light going over on the wire wheel and a couple of oiling so got rid of the black residue. Some tiny pitting between the teeth but other wise excellent Nick.

image.jpg2_zpsepkhlg7g.jpg

Marked Superior Steels Sheffield on the front and WASP on the back, teeth only on front and one edge, 12 blade if it was straight. I've a smaller one with a curve that's very handy on occasions.

need to turn 7 handles now!

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
image.jpg1_zpsctumyp5o.jpg

Had a good day at the boots, found some things I've been after for a while.

Exped 140 L Bergman liner £3
sea to submit seam sealed large stuff sack 30p
issue thermal draws XL £2 all as new except a name written in long johns.
two pairs of issue socks 10p each.
Draper six inch brass wire wheel, new £3
scissor secateurs like I just saw in a book on basket making, £1. MADE IN SHEFFIELD should clean up well.
10" T. Wilkinson and son Made in Sheffield England shears, some cosmetic rust but will do up like new. £3
new surform blade 50p
4 Makita jigsaw wood blades 50p
6 Bullfinch mantles 25p each
2 camping gaz mantles 25p each
and best of all 8 Tilley no. 164 mantles in lovely old school wrappers also 25p each.
oh and a second 5 pint Moira mug.

Not it shown another a Archimedes drill with 4 proper flat drill bits in the handle £2. Should clean up well. Also got the youngest 6 75ml tubes of decent acrylic paint And some Denby for herself.

lovely weather and a most enjoyable morning.

atb

tom
L

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I bought a sea to Sumit portable kitchen sink for 50p at the carboot yeaturday. It has never been unzipped.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
In between house work and wishing I had not finished off my Black Cherry Exclusiv yesterday I cleaned up and re sharpened some of the recent carbootage.

image.jpg1_zpspvt7yu6j.jpg

the can opener is a bit of a affectation but the rest are users. I've enough good 10 inch scissors in my sewing kit that these ones will be going straight into the general use pot on the windowsill. I'll have to let the linseed oil on the Archimedes drill dry completely before I can put the 4 drills back in the storage hole in the handle . No brand name on that one. The stubby gouge will go straight in my most used gouge roll, just what I was after.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Picked up a couple of almost unused files on last Thursday flea market, just the lightest patina of rust, no pitting and the amount of wear could have come from them rattling round a tool box for while.

image.jpg1_zpsjijyvaal.jpg

14" half round course rasp, looks to be hand set. Barnsley & Son Sheffield England. A very nice bit of kit. George Barnsley started of as a file maker but is most well known for his top quality leather working and shoe making tools.
12" very rough ( as for soft metals ) hand file, marked ENGLAND with something above it that looks like a trident.

So that means I now have to turn ten handles!

Incidentally does any one know the term for the teeth pattern when there's bands of double cut on a other wise single cut file, done deliberately not from wear?

ATB

Tom

Demonwolf444

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Ripon, North Yorkshire
Still enjoying the thread!

Recently picked up some nice 60B war pattern hacksaws - lovely tools, some new blades means i now have a saw for 18, 24 and 32 TPI, i have a couple spare now if anyone interested!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Nice one! It's something I need to sort. Currently I just have two grades of hacksaw, unscientificly, big teeth for wood and little ones for metal!

My right hands still knackered ( will see the docs on Tuesday if it's no better tomorrow ) so I've done no more restoration work and not been anywhere during the week to get owt new. Herself did drag me to Colne to see my tool guy but for once he had nowt got me. However he did have this job lot for £10 from the same source as he got her all the jewlery making tools. The Bonzer spare blade was thrown in free. She needed the ball on rod things to go with some bits she already had. I'll derust and polish them when my hands better. No markings on owt I can see apart from one of the pattern makers sand tools has T. MONK on one end and a figure in a habit on the other.

image.jpg1_zpsz4izylek.jpg

atb

Tom

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I bought a Fjallraven no 21 (red) rucksack in mint condition for £4. I bought a fjallraven Kanken (blue) in good used condition off of another stall for £1.50. What a great carboot that was.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
nota billhook but a bladed tool none the less,i found a great find at the carboot sale today, an early model D wilkinson sword survival knife,i paid just £35 for it,i checked online and they can make upto £400,had i realised that i would have bought the other one he had too!i have wanted one of these since i was about 12!

DSC06937 by fishfish_01, on Flickr

DSC06938 by fishfish_01, on Flickr

DSC06939 by fishfish_01, on Flickr

now to restore the bevel and edge .

thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSC06937.jpg
    DSC06937.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 15

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Nice find fishfish !
Lovely colour on the handle and the patina on the blade is awesome.
Hope you keep it as money is just dirty...
:)

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Nice one! It's something I need to sort. Currently I just have two grades of hacksaw, unscientificly, big teeth for wood and little ones for metal!

My right hands still knackered ( will see the docs on Tuesday if it's no better tomorrow ) so I've done no more restoration work and not been anywhere during the week to get owt new. Herself did drag me to Colne to see my tool guy but for once he had nowt got me. However he did have this job lot for £10 from the same source as he got her all the jewlery making tools. The Bonzer spare blade was thrown in free. She needed the ball on rod things to go with some bits she already had. I'll derust and polish them when my hands better. No markings on owt I can see apart from one of the pattern makers sand tools has T. MONK on one end and a figure in a habit on the other.

image.jpg1_zpsz4izylek.jpg

atb

Tom

Moulders tools!

They were used with greensand at our place in the light railway foundry, For smoothing corners/edges of cores/moulds, Since the greensand plant was closed, No one uses them now as we use epoxy binder..

I went at the weekend and found a few bargains (y)

Paid £3 for this watch working! It's a chronograph with working stopwatch..
Wsv5jpO.jpg

A 'Dring dring' tellingbone for £2.. (Who's old enough to remember the Tellingbone, Electrickery and Touchwood?) :D

QlN3wMk.jpg

Two Okuma baitrunner reels for £12, Fully working with spare spools ..

j0vh2Oc.jpg

Big pot (12" across) for one of my Acers to go in next spring for £3..
PeyueAs.jpg

John :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! That makes perfect sense coming with the other bits. Oddly enough they have been talking about casting small stuff ( silver or possibly very small brass or even lead ) so I better source them a leeetle crucible when I next see one, jewlery scale . I've already got some bowed out pliers things that I'm told are probably ex gold/ silver smiths things and a couple of ladles for casting lead with. I'll leave it up to them although it would be nice if they could cast me some period blanks of buckles. So far I've faked cast stuff by stock removal and it's a long job compared with tidying up a casting!

ATB

Tom

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Cheers! That makes perfect sense coming with the other bits. Oddly enough they have been talking about casting small stuff ( silver or possibly very small brass or even lead ) so I better source them a leeetle crucible when I next see one, jewlery scale . I've already got some bowed out pliers things that I'm told are probably ex gold/ silver smiths things and a couple of ladles for casting lead with. I'll leave it up to them although it would be nice if they could cast me some period blanks of buckles. So far I've faked cast stuff by stock removal and it's a long job compared with tidying up a casting!

ATB

Tom

When I say small, I mean up to a couple of tons, We used to make axle motion sets for trans, That part of the company was closed down in around 1981 under an EU scheme whereby the dept would close down for a minimum of five years and receive a £2m payment from their kitty, Our company (BSC at teh time) found they made more money by keeping it closed and have the castings made at other foundries under licence!!

We normally make castings up to 600tonnes in the black and dependent upon shape, They will end up at up to 300tonnes :D

Some of the castings we make..

abiggun3.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
How many months does it take for one of those to cool?

They may be in the pit for eight weeks, If they're left in too long and become cold then they will have to be cleaned to go on the heat treatment furnace to come up to between 150°c and 450°c for burning, Over temperature can cause many small surface cracks, To cold and large cracks can appear, This may lead to the casting being scrapped, As they're a bit expensive to make, We try to avoid this!! :p:D

The Ancilliary workers uncover the castin with 12tonne excavators, Then the casting is pulled out of the pit and put in to the burning booth, If it's large dimensionally then it may have to go in front of the burning booth so we can get all around it with a 5tonne pecker to clean the sand off so that we can get to the steel to burn the heads/risers and feeders, The casting will then go on to the treatment furnace to be 'Normalised', To get rid of any inbuilt stresses which could further lead to cracks..

We cut heads of up to around nine and a half feet diameter but on the bigger ones we have both shifts of burners in so that we don't suffer heat fatigue, We take it in turns as pairs (One on 3' Oxy Propane cutter and the other using Oxy lance) and have 30 min's on then 30 min's off, As the cutterman is inches away from an up to 450°c wall of steel, It can become a little hot! I generally cover up with leather aprons, Coats and gauntlets!! I can still drink a gallon of water in a shift, It's like climbing out of the canal fully clothed!! In summer you can peel off when the cut is finished but in winter you have to put extra layers on as the sweat chills leaving you freezing!!

I started a different job in January but still have to go in to the burning section if they're short of men..

IMG_0224.jpg

We also open bores up in the castings wher cores have been used but the bore is bigger, This saves huge amounts of time machining them out and is cheaper to burn them out too ;)

DSC_0530.jpg

A smaller job.

IMG_1777_zpsoqo43ore.jpg

In this pic there's 500tonnes of liquid steel running in to a sand mould and an 80tonne ladle to top up after, The 500tonnes takes around four or five minutes to empty from the ladles..

abigun4.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE