More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It took a bit of hunting but I found the thingy that fits onto the grooved ruler and its by the same company. I must have got it years ago in a job lot. ill clean the spots of red paint off it and clean the bare metal parts some time. the spirit level bubble looks fine and everything turns and locks/unlocks smoothly.

combi_zpsesp9zkkl.jpg

Along the bottom edge is engraved the same L.S.S.Co Starretts logo but this one ends in No. 490. I'm pretty chuffed as it looks to be a quality bit of kit which i dont already have and which i'll actually use!

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Very nice. The Starrett Cast Iron Protractor Head alone is Lee Valley Part # 30N03.03 and costs $138.00 new.
That e-catalog page shows also the other Starrett fixtures which attach to that rule.

I should add that if you bought the protractors and the squares and several of the rules, this is a "quality piece of kit"
which could cost you well over $1,000.00.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Lordy! Even the grooved rulers ain't exactly cheap! I'll keep my eye out for the other bits to go with, they seam to be quite common on carboots and you pay no more for nicely made old cast iron ones as you do for mass produced made in China aluminium junk. Cheers! I looked up the Lee Valley catalogue and had a good drool, it's a good job I chopped the credit card herself issued me up into fine pieces, I could get into real trouble there!

Truth be told I'm a sucker for well made measuring and marking out gear, I've about a draws full of old cigar boxes of gauges, micrometers, callipers and tapes etc and just had to upgrade my sub 18" and folding ruler storage to a comedy 5 pint "Dads Mug" where I store them.

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Good enough. I have need of measuring and marking tools in wood carving (left/right symmetry, etc). LV is the sole place to look and buy.
You will find the Lee Valley catalog a modern reference for so much of those things are being dusted off and remanufactured, often by the Lee Valley Veritas branding.

And just to rub your nose in it, Lee Valley is having a period of free shipping (not uncommon) from Feb.07 - Feb.17.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
That is a good find Tom!👍
And to find the missing piece that you had stored somewhere from years before and have it fit perfectly is just fantastic.
I have to agree with RV too, Lee Valley and Veritas are the mutts nuts in the new hand tool game , and if money was no object to me , I would only have Lie-Nielsen and Veritas instruments and planes in my workshop .
Maybe a few Bailey's too 😉
Top notch, good catch 👍

Last edited:

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi all

I bought a Moore & Wrights square set some years ago, Only trouble is that it's imperial only!! :eek: Can't really complain though as i'm sure I only paid three or four quid for it!!

8kU2Z3X.jpg

I then found another square but with a 24" rulle, It measures in metric too!! I think I paid £2 for it :bigok:

JcKtY9Q.jpg

I went to my first bootsale of 2017 on sunday! Came home with a few bargains!!

£2.50 for these..

56xEmnD.jpg

And a quid for this (Kennedy 1-2" micrometer)..

WyLoh2k.jpg

Also bought some Optical stuff too!!

3" Japanese refractor (Very nearly four feet long!!).. £5..

gDGQZGs.jpg

A £2 compact Miranda 7x21 binocular, Came with case, Lens covers and manual!!

5apa5sT.jpg

Bushnell Expo (8x30) Thumb focus!! Expensive these due to the name at a fiver! :(

vNjghzH.jpg

Kxn5MUY.jpg

Looking forward to sunday if the weather is OK :)

John..

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Johnbaz: do you have any idea what that measuring/layout kit is worth?
Look at the comparable Starrett pieces in the Lee Valley catalog. Do the math.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Cheers lads

I used to use the combo set regularly but my hands are getting quite arthritic these days so don't do as much woodworking now :(

I went to the bootsale yesterday but almost blanked!

All I found was two glass decanters for my lads stall (In an antiques emporium!)..

I'm hoping for better things next week!! :D

John :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Not been to a boot this year, mainly due to the weather, and suffering cold turkey. I've had some joy in the charity shops getting some as new outdoor clothing for a pittance for the lads who are tall enough for adult clothes and slim enough for the stuff that was bought more in hope than in realisation of the true current state of the buyers waist..... Still if I can get new Craghopper trousers for £3.50 I ain't complaining! Start of last week I got a as new ( check for bobbling on cuffs and collars, washing labels for sign of fading through washing and most telling of all chipping on painted zips ) a berghaus fleece for one lad (£2.50) and at the end of the week a new berghaus softshell jacket for another's! (£4.50) sadly stuff rarely turns up for ,lardies like me.

I'll hit the Thursday flea in Accrington ( had poor pickings so far this year ) but my main source of new finds has been the penny plus inflated postage book sellers via Amazon. Saturday and Today I've received

The complete practical book off country crafts -1980
by Jack Hill. This ones really nicely done, been engrossed in it since it arrived today

Plants with a Purpose – 1980 Richard-Mabley, Eye opening, I got a lot of ideas for projects here.

Country Woodworker – 1995
Jack-Hill

All Made by Hand – 1970
James Arnold. Very well illustrated, learned a lot from it.

and I'm still waiting on

Country Craft Tools – 1976
P.W.Blandford

One thing with with this dry spell I'm getting on with actually getting projects finished and doing a lot of reading!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
hi All
went to see my tool guy over in Colne on Saturday for herself to pick up more sand moulding tools (im not doing them up until she actually makes moves to use them) nowt for me much but i did pick up a pair of lasting pliers for a quid which i've just fettled. the stamping on the head is feint but i lucked out and found a pair on Etsy that matches up the visible letters and has the same part number. They are stamped 502 E A Berg Eskilstuna Sweden.

SwedishPliers_zpszjg2vpc2.jpg

While i was derusting them i did the tools shown beneath the pliers, i forget what they are called but i've already done up the bits that they go with, for raising small domes in sheet metal.

Hopefully ill have more luck this week, mind ive had plenty of look getting stuff, just nowt that floats my particular boat.

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Don't forget to have a look in abeBooks.uk The parent co. is abeBooks.com, a Canadian outfit. They claim 6,000,000+ titles.
Recently wanted a specialty biology text book. New was approx $250.00. abeBooks had a dozen under $10.00.
That's the common level of savings. Maybe a little worn around the corners.

There's always the risk that someone has used a razor to take home the part they wanted.
Art technique books and art biography works are the worst.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I think they are doming punches.:) and go with a doming block. PS I love this thread.

Cheers! That's the name! Rather than a block with dents in it she's got a bunch of what look like punches to hold various sized domed rivets ( there will be a pic in this thread somewhere as I cleaned them up ) . She's got some copper and brass sheet I'm just waiting for her to start making something! I've even scored her some books on the subject.

Aye we use abeBooks a bit, I think the last one delivered was from them, had ownership stamps from a U.S. University inside and a Donated by sticker thing in the front. It was cheap and in good condition so I don't mind! Took awhile to arrive but postage was same as if straight from UK source, £2.80.

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Underneath abeBooks, I think it's a gigantic consortium of agencies which are forced to "sell the bricks to pay for the castle."
There are 2 others, I've lost the names but may be able to uncover them again. Tool catalogs and User manuals.
Will post with luck.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Cheers! That's the name! Rather than a block with dents in it she's got a bunch of what look like punches to hold various sized domed rivets ( there will be a pic in this thread somewhere as I cleaned them up ) . She's got some copper and brass sheet I'm just waiting for her to start making something! I've even scored her some books on the subject.

Aye we use abeBooks a bit, I think the last one delivered was from them, had ownership stamps from a U.S. University inside and a Donated by sticker thing in the front. It was cheap and in good condition so I don't mind! Took awhile to arrive but postage was same as if straight from UK source, £2.80.

ATB

Tom

If you have a youtube at air chasing bracelets there some use there of doming punches. Nice braclets too. Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE