More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks, I'll dig them out and get them sharp. I thought it would be something like that but didnt want to ruin them guessing.

And yes I am happy now! Its nice to confirm i'd found the good stuff and that it was worth doing up!

My main point is that yiou dont havbe to blow much money on getting a decent set of tools, if you arte prepared to look lots and do them up. looking at old catalogues or books on tools really pays off. Here my dedicated leather working tools so far, the only bits bought new were the leather palm, one of the (useless) autmatic sewing awls and the Maun smooth parallel jawed pliers which are great for pulling needles without roughing them up.

leathertools_zpsac71ab23.jpg

I tell I lie the Anglo Saxon stamps are new but were a present so didnt cost me owt!

I'll try using the pusher, im already getting stiff hands the day after any heavy sewing. and I dont do much!

ATB

Tom

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a very nice lookink and high quality kit there Tom; The parallel-jawed pliers are what I used to use as I found them faster, but that's just because the impatience of youth stopped me from persevering 'till I got the hang of the pusher.......

I wish I could remember the proper name for the pusher! :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I will have a good go with the pusher then. I've got two pair of AS turn shoes to do and that lovely thick linen thread/ thin string I got is a swine to get through even with the curved awl holes.!

one thing is I need to sort decent storage for them. Currently they are piled up inside a small army holdall, with corks on the pointy bits.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It was so nice out that no one moaned when we hit 4 boots (without even travelling far it had to be said) and although I only got a few bits this time it was all gratifyingly cheap, nothing more than 50p. The wife got her Langley and Denby fix and one of the lads came away with a LARP spear and lined velvety ankle length cloak for £7 the pair.

Anyhoo here's my haul, before restoration. The tongs seam to be for rivets, no markings I can see as yet. Scissors are Champion Sheffield arrow marked 1944, two unopened gross boxes of brass screws and I have great hopes the diddly little three inch ruler thing will clean up well.

imagejpg1_zpsea530235.jpg

Atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Oh, yes, a near mint 1950s Tala mandolin for those essential egg sandwiches....

cleaned up the metal bits and much to my surprise the great big pincers are not for the forge, or hot rivets but for pulling teeth from horses and cattle! Stamped on it in tiny letters is "DAY & SON CREWE" who produced vets equipment. Still I'll be using them at the forge when I've built it! The look strong enough.

imagejpg2_zps6065771c.jpg

The unissued scissors have cleaned up lovely, as sharp as the day they were made!

ATB

Tom

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
The mystery tool on post #105 is a Plumbers tool..i cant find my old tool book to confirm exactly what its purpose was though..either something to do with pipe bending or soldering...i'll find the book sometime.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
We just dont get the same class of car-boot sale up here :(
I went to two of the larger ones last weekend and the only few stalls worth a look were charging internet prices with delivery! Half decent condition bill hook was £30 and upwards!
If you want blunt drill bits and bent sharps that was the place....

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
O
The mystery tool on post #105 is a Plumbers tool..i cant find my old tool book to confirm exactly what its purpose was though..either something to do with pipe bending or soldering...i'll find the book sometime.

Cheers! I rather suspected it was to do with plumbing, I've had several tools for that trade off the guy, wrenches and pliers and strange bits of rod for splaying out the ends of pipes and unissued old school soldering irons. I turned my nose up at a couple of cased self heating irons, still with full packs of heating block thingies. Even I couldn't merit one of those!

id be 'grateful to know precisely what it's used for if you can though!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
We just dont get the same class of car-boot sale up here :(
I went to two of the larger ones last weekend and the only few stalls worth a look were charging internet prices with delivery! Half decent condition bill hook was £30 and upwards!
If you want blunt drill bits and bent sharps that was the place....

Theres some crap ones oop here as well and it did take that 4 separate boots to get them. I blame iPhones and alike, now everyone can google what something's worth/is so there's no point building up knowledge from research anymore. I've practically given up collecting militaria anymore as there's no bargains.

atb

tom

Ps come to think of it I do do better at the ones where herself can't get a good signal, out in the sticks.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Looks like a tidy little rope gauge in the top right corner.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

'Ive done my best to get the dirt out of the wood but its too stained., I can't sand it of course and soakings out of the question so I've wiped it lots with every solvent I can, oiled it with boiled linseed and tonight will gently polish the brass. You can read the markings on the wood, RABONE AND SONS is neatly marked on one edge, and the ones on the brass are still as clear as new. It is cute, I got it to measure balsa strip in the sort of model shops where its just mixed together in a tube.

I've a nice clean two fold 12 inch version in my leather working/ sewing box, just the job for checking the width of straps etc.

atb

tom

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
O

Cheers! I rather suspected it was to do with plumbing, I've had several tools for that trade off the guy, wrenches and pliers and strange bits of rod for splaying out the ends of pipes and unissued old school soldering irons. I turned my nose up at a couple of cased self heating irons, still with full packs of heating block thingies. Even I couldn't merit one of those!

id be 'grateful to know precisely what it's used for if you can though!

ATB

Tom

So after turning the house upside I found the book!It is called a 'plumbers iron or 'Grozing iron'.This ancestor of the blowlamp was used for jointing lead sheet and pipes.After heating, it is held against the joint to keep the solder fluid while being wiped smooth.

There are two types pictured, yours and one similar with a square block on the end instead of the blob.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Oh, I missed this one out as its herselfs, £1 from the surplus tool man, a industrial quality, ugly as sin, curved bladed knife she bought for cutting herbs. She wire wheeled it to get rid of the rust, sanded the wood down and soaked it in boiled linseed oil for 24 hrs then touched up the blade with my ceramic rods. Hardly worth the effort but it is very sharp so on request I knocked up a sheath for it from some scrap 3mm veg tan. I dropped it into some molten beeswax and let it harden to shape.

shes pleased anyway and I'm a zombie as when it was finished it was after 3 AM, D'oh!

imagejpg1_zpsd79cf5e9.jpg

Atb

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
After the best part of a month with no boots due to people bothering me ( I can't think of a more accurate wy of putting it) we woke early, I fried up back bacon and spam sandwiches for all and we bundled off to Haslinden before the kids were wake enough to protest.

i got a decent haul, i'll spare you the books and china ( which were major bargains in themselves )

imagejpg1_zpsbd7e263b.jpg

First off was what looks to be a unused Kartimor Jaguar GR54 ruck sack for £4 with a pretty new Lartimat thrown in for free.

The now soaking, muddy, gaiters were £1, says Mk II snow gaiters on the labels and looks to be thick goretex. If they clean up well ill be extremely pleased!

the Army tool guy had a few bits, a new 7lb sledge, still snided in cosmolene or similar, says Made in England on it but the guy said he thought it was arrow marked, I'll see when it's cleaned up. That's another bit for the forge kit I'm building up when I can. Herself paid £8 for that, a 12 inch or so 1952 dated issue tommy bar, a 5 inch pulley thing marked ANSELL WALSALL, unused, a shackle thing, also unused,no visible markings and weird metal hook thing that no one knows the use for and I intrigues herself, also no markings.

On another stall I blew a quid on a depth gauge as I've only got light weight, indoors, sorts. I wanted something I could drop, if you know what I mean. It has interesting markings, N arrow over O, D Arrow 9-43 ( which will be the date). INO 7918 z /698. I've no idea what NOD means in this context. It needs a good soak in releasing oil and a clean anyway.

The 4 small tins I paid over the odds (for me) at 50p a pop as they are unused 1943 or 1944 dated percussion cap containers, I may put a couple on eBay to pay for the other stuff.

the small briar pipe, doesn't look like it was smoked in even, was £1. Says KOZY DENTAL LONDON MADE on the side.

The moustache trimmer (PENNS EASYTRIM MADE IN ENGLAND ) was 50p.

The middle son spotted this lot which we got for £2, all in date and some good until late 2015.

imagejpg2_zpsd292f293.jpg

It was the sort of day we were picking up Denby for 50 p a pop without really looking hard! Not a common happening.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Red
unfortunately that was the only one or I'd have grabbed them on spec in case some one here needed them. With his stock mainly being 50s and 60s its all really good quality. Ok there's a odd bit of tat but that's easily avoided. I'll keep my eyes out for more.

atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE