More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
BTW Tom do you ever stumble over large hammers? I'm after a 2lb cross pein (and a 2lb straight pein but thats unlikely). If you ever see one at a good price.....

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
But that does make sense - the requirement for a tension gauge makes more sense in that application

IIRC, that's also somewhere near the scale of tensions on a lot of classic aircraft, and the two different scales would be for flying wires/ landing wires perhaps? But I'm not an expert, just vague memories from my flying days :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Stranger things have happened. We were clearing out some cupboards at work and the lady I was working with said "Here Tom, you like aeroplanes, have this" and turned around and plonked the propellor hub from a Great War RE5 into my mits! I don't know of any other piece of a RE5 that's survived. How cool was that!

2lb crosspein? Shouldn't be too hard to find. Ill keep my eye out.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
There you go! Yet again, somebody comes along with chapter and verse; never ceases to amaze me here :)

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I used a very similar tool down the coal mine for tensioning bell wire for signaling. The wires would have a intrinsically safe voltage passed down a pair of wires at head height, By causing a short circuit, would then ring a bell at a driver station. The spool with ratchet should have a length of multistrand wire on the spool with another wire clamp on the end, which would be wound in to put tension on the bell wire. Allowing a slack end of the bell wire to be tied to a insulator.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've seen that so of wiring at The Big Pit and the National Mining Museum near Wakefield. Ha ! I should have shown it my dad, he would have recognised it straight awy I bet. Ill clean the rust off and see if any ownership marks show up. It would seam they were in use from the 1920s to at least the 1960s.

thanks folks!

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I got to a couple of boots this AM and got a few decent finds, must get up earlier as it was nearly 12 by the time we got to the second, still even picked over I found some good bits, not including the 1924 ish Denby coffee pot for 50p etc.

imagejpg1_zps9957742e.jpg

Starting at the top, a box of knitting needles for 50p, herself picked over them for the ones she wanted and I'm left with lots of bits of wire and plastic rod for making stuff.

pair of really nice Whiteley 9.5 inch tailors shears, £2.50, more than I normally pay but they are lovely ( £35 rrp from the company)

Footprint Tools take down turning tool, missing 3 heads/gouges, I guess but really nicely made. Will try and find the other heads. £2.

2 different sized groove cutter leather thingies by Geo Barnsley, Sheffield. Should clean up lovely 50p each.

3 new cheap self closing tweezers, 50p the lot.

2 surform tools 50p eaeach

i was weak and blew £2 on a old tin plate Trangia type burner. Ill never use it .

sorry Red, no decent snips or 2 lb cross pein, yet.

atb

tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No worries Tom - I found some snips anyway mate :)

Nice surform rasp plane that - an early one too I think

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
BTW Tom do you ever stumble over large hammers? I'm after a 2lb cross pein (and a 2lb straight pein but thats unlikely). If you ever see one at a good price.....

Place I'm in sometimes occasionally has a few hammers.

Can keep an eye out for them and if they have something I think you might like I can either just buy it or take a picture of it so you can see it.

As I've had Estwings in there for less than a fiver (often needing a few leather washers though) I can't see them being much.

Interested?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I'm now regretting not buying this huge slab like file I saw today, it was about the size, well a foot long by near three inch wide and near a third of a Inch thick. It wouldn't have been much either as the two leather working tools from the sAme guy were 50p a pop. Oh well it may be there next week.

By the by I'm wondering how big a blade you could get from that huge filing block for steam engine valve mounts? I'm not sure he ever sold the other one he had. It was in a box he really gets out of the half sized containers they use between boots.

Red, no worries ill concentrate on hammer then!

just got the rusty bits pickling, should be ready for washing off now.

atb

Tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Place I'm in sometimes occasionally has a few hammers.

Can keep an eye out for them

Interested?

Yes please! I'm after two pound straight or cross pein hammers. Preferably wood handle (or no handle). a cross face cross pain would be ideal but very unlikely!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a two pound hammer with straight and cross pein faces at right angles

fig21.jpg

I've not seen one second hand if I am honest

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE