More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

I did alright the other day, got a piles of nice old English files with an equally huge pile of handles, loads of Marples chisels and gouges with some other brands, carpentry bits, a bit and brace drill with a wood box of auger bits, a nice old shaprneing stone, an awesome tin of basically unused Dormer brand drill bits, a Record mini anvil, a Wolden vice, a brass parafin blow lamp and a paraffin lantern, A lovely Plumb axe, various knives and two super heavy steel flat/engineering plates. I have a big piles of scrap brass too, around 5 kg of the stuff for melting into shape! Oh and the Moore and Wright vernier gauge! a realy beauty!

Also got a huge kitchen knife made by Taylors Eye Whitness! it'll clean up good as will the old Webley Hurricane air pistol. :)

Anyway, I had such a blast just rooting through multiple over filled sheds for hours and helping out a guy who wanted rid of all his clutter.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Finished the file handle

alyfilehandle_zpsozrn83x3.jpg

The file came out well it was just concrete or rock dust in the teeth, stamped on one side was Firth Brown Sheffield England and DREADNOUGHT on the other. Ill tap on a wooden handle at some point.

lastpliers_zpsmcoqenmh.jpg

The lasting pliers just needed one arm shortening and knocking roughly back into shape, the ends rounding off and se rusting.

Ive got a fair way on with the adze, derusted and the base has had several hours of filing and grinding. tomorrow Ill drag out the belt sander, clean all the saw dust off it and get the base as smooth as I can. then Ill work though the grades of wet and sry on a orbital sander and then sharpen the edge of the top of the blade. Its already accidentally razor sharp from the work flattening it.

I'm actually knackered from taking the big mill files to it. The power file wasnt removing metal fast enough for me.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
While one lad, whos bedroom is imediately below my work bench, slept through it I took the base of adze to my Axminster bench belt sander ( took longer to clean all the tinder like fine wood dust from the thing before making sparks than actual time grinding) and have got to the stage of working my way through various grades of wet and dry on my lovely £2 carboot Makita orbital sander.

adze02_zpsn3hcvpca.jpg

Theres some pits that are too far from the cutting edge and too deep to merit working them out, once its done Ill rub some wax in them. Once the base is done Ill degrease and drop in the oxcilic acid to get the last of the rust off it that the Citric didn't do then put the edge on the top. Im tempted to paint the sides and top of this one as there was traces of black paint and to be honest the finish on the non polished surfaces doth offend mine eyes. Tart that I am.

Next I need to source a 36" handle, I'm capable of making one but getting the right sized bit of seasoned hickory or ash will be as hard as finding a pre made handle! The eye is 1.5" long by 1.25 wide.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Until I source a handle or suitable wood Ive done as much as I intend to on the adze. Ill put a final edge on it once its completed, I i may paint the uppe rsurface with something rustproof and protective, the only half visible markings are on the middle of the top of the blade and may be J COWP over LOND.

adze03_zpsfv5eylq7.jpg

adze04_zpspvvfkvlm.jpg

I'm not sure when Ill get to use it ( better make a blade guard anyway) as its rather on the large size but its the sort of thing if you don't get it when you can you may never see another cheap one when you do. I'll find a couple of baskets to stand in when I have a go with it, or borrow some greaves!

Oh well its done now.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Got a couple things today. Has anyone got experience of Paramo planes?

No eyed Auger bits that I have been keeping a look out for. The FireBowl XL and Tatonka Kettle look unused. I took a punt on the French tent.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ha! You ain't the only one saddled with one of those monstrosities, mint in box, I got suckered myself a couple of years back as it was dirt cheap and shiny! It's now safely buried under boxed pre 1950s Stanley's so I can pretend I have taste ( if not the skill to use some of the more elaborate suckers! ).

You did better than me, the boot we went to was massive and I came back with a no. 3 Python file handle for a whole quid ( at that point I'd bought nowt ) and a nice medium sized Mason Cash mixing bowl also for a quid. That's all.

should be some big boots next week end including on the Monday.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I finally got a moment to clean up the carboot Python no. 3 handle and fit it to the 14" dreadnought file with the workshop made handle.

dreadnoughdone_zpszm0f0cfl.jpg

Should be handy for removing large amounts of soft stuff quickly, you can really bare down on that Ally plane handle.

The wax is all i got from the great bag of honey comb I got from a dead hive my mate cleared out, about 13 oz of clean stuff with very little lost. The stuff that was left in the old pillow case i repeatedly boiled up looked like Jam made by H.R. Geiger, all dead baby bees and black stuff (glue?) no wax left at all.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I was a bit disappointed with only getting 13oz of processed wax from the dead hive so I policed up all the other bits of raw comb and scraps of beeswax I'd been given or swapped for and boiled and filtered that and chucked the new stuff in to melt down and form one big cake. That's gone hard now and rinsed off and patted dry it weighs in at a more satisfying 1lb 10oz.. So that should make a about 16 or 17 candles in the tin mould I have. I really need to do a timed burn to see how they last.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well the Thursday flea was a bit of a bust, got some good other stuff like more Craghopper trousers for the lads and a nice piece of silver mounted Amber about the size of a half sucked boiled sweet for herself for a fiver.

Tool wise all I got was another Firth Brown 14 inch file with wooden handle in restorable condition, this time in MILLENICUT, as in huge diagonal undercut teeth with little nicks in the teeth every few mill. The aluminium plane handle would slap onto it fine. In the teeth there's traces of rock or non plasticky filler. I'll do it up tomorrow. I also got a Stanley Sheffield No. 10A ratchet screwdriver that should do up lovely, a pack of decent looking narrow wood junior hacksaw sized blades and a beech rolling pin to turn into handles. I paid a fiver for the lot, a bit steep for me but I couldn't face haggling with the guy when the blades would have cost more in a shop.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, I've blown my spare cash today so I'll not be carbooting tomorrow, still a lay in will be no bad thing.

We went to my Tool guy in Colne but didn't get much joy, herself got a tin of various sorts of presstud mounting tools and I got a Imperial Standard workshop wire gauge. Made by J. Sheldon & Co Sheffield dated 1917. I'm not sure if the leather pouch it came in is original to it but it's kept it in good condition.

Anyroad I had better luck at the second hand tool shop in Burnley market hall. I picked up a couple of big hand vices for 4 quid each, some rust but ones still got packaging paper stuck to it with hardened cosmolene so I don't think they have been use. I'll clean them up and make some jaw guards from scrap aluminium sheet. A really underrated tool. But by far the best of all I found something I've been looking for for at least 10 years. I had thought I'd cracked it a couple of years back but the one I'd got on Accy flea for a few quid. But when I derusted it the bottom part had rusted clean through. Anyhoo for the princely sum of 15 quid ( I know, this is me I'm talking about Mr shoestring ) I finally have a solid, usable Size 0 cast iron animal glue pot. Previously the cheapest sound one I've come across was £30 and too rich for my blood. I've seen them for huge amounts in antique shops, normally painted shiny black. Previously I've messed about with jam jars bobbing about in pans of boiling water but now I can do the job right. I've been kindly given two lots of animal glue, which I'll dig out from where ever I've hidden them.

The only clear markings I've seen so far us Made in England cast into the outer part and No 0 on the under side of the inner tank. There's something on the bottom of the outer pot, No 0 and, well it will be clearer when it's cleaned. I'm pretty chuffed with it,

pics ca to follow when restored.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ne'er mind but thanks for the kind thought!

ive a couple of small baggies of size but herself found someone on eBay selling peal glue at about 10 quid a kilogram which should last me. I should have a small quantity of rabbit glue somewhere. I'll look tomorrow as everyone else has sloped off to bed and so I'm loathe to start banging about.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE