More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Is that a cast iron glue pot in the bottom picture? (go find some road kill pelts if it is lol!)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
That's a great haul! After spending so much ( I'm a kept man but not that well kept! ) I had to give it a miss today. I didn't even get a lay in as I woke naturally at 7.30!

The hglue pot etc is pickling in a vat of quite strong oxcillic acid solution, which needs emptying and rinsing off.

A wire wheel on a reliable bench grinder and a big bag of citric acid powder will so most of that lot!

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just finished cleaning up a bunch of stuff to usable condition (IE where rust wont transfer to a job, thy are safe to use and generally as near to as the maker intended )

I diddnt go mad on getting the rust out of the inside of the outer partn of the glue pot as lets face it it will rust again as soon as I use it. The outside i took more time over and the makers name was revealed T.SHELDON & Co LTD.

http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/metalware/general/sheldon.htm

The Made In England cast into the top means its from after 1890 and the requirement for goods imported into the US to bear a country of origin. It was easier to stick it on everything rather than just stuff going to the States.

In a vague attempt to hinder rusting I blackleaded the outside once it was degrease and dried. The inner glue tank I took more time over and completely derusted and cleaned. After washing I repeatedly buffed the inside with linseed oil and rags until no more dirt came off it. I left a bit of oil on to inhibit rusting.

gluekettlefinished_zpshzkyme3w.jpg

Its really in great condition!

The ratchet Screwdrivers a Stanley 10A turned out well, the actions nice and crisp.

The two hand vices are unmarked but also seam to be unused. Finish quality isn't the first water but perfectly usable.

I decided the handle that came with the 14" Dreadnoughts not big enough so I will get or make something as big as a Python no. 3. the metal part came up a treat, just a few chips from poor storage on one side.

The 1917 imperial wire gauge just neede a buff up.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
They've saved my hands getting chavelled numerous times and are great for clamping laminations together which is why ive ended up with well more than youd think one person could need. My favourite I actually bought new while i was a student and continually goes missing as for some reason its the one they always borrow. They being the sons and wife. It's currently missing. the longest time its been AWOL, within the house, is four years. Id written it off but suddenly it was back in the draw and nobody knew anything about it...

Carboots are full of them and they usually just need derusting being solidly made.

ATB

Tom

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ill keep my eye open, mostly I use G clamps.

Here is me with limited cash and storage....Time to go to a Car Boot!

So I came out with a wool blanket, 2 bags of books, a leather bag, a load of canvas tent bags, (will clean and Im sure will be offered for trade here.) a dremel (£2 but no idea if usable.)

And a honking big canvas frame tent.

But hey, the guy is a friend of mine, and he said `just make me an offer`

and I got it for £10.

So...my next task is to put the dratted thing up, see if its complete and photo it.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi all

I went last week and blanked, Hardly any sellers, I think they all went away for the weekend!!

Fared better today!!

Solar Bowie for £20

6nw0fUp.jpg

m8rWAdZ.jpg

Epic little quadcopter for £4, It's like lightning!! (Much fun!!)

sbHkToP.jpg

Metabo drill with four batteries, Two are fantastic, Two are weak, Paid £30 for my lad :cool:

BMdqIOt.jpg

Dinky little breast drill (For a dwarf maybe!) and Steampunk spanner for £2

l5LuQdy.jpg

And my fave buy today!! 11 sets of guitar strings and a capo thrown in for £20 :cool:

TxHweBk.jpg

I've so many guitars that need restringing that these have saved me a heap of wonga buying from the music store!!!

Cheers, John :)

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Ill keep my eye open, mostly I use G clamps.

Here is me with limited cash and storage....Time to go to a Car Boot!

So I came out with a wool blanket, 2 bags of books, a leather bag, a load of canvas tent bags, (will clean and Im sure will be offered for trade here.) a dremel (£2 but no idea if usable.)

And a honking big canvas frame tent.

But hey, the guy is a friend of mine, and he said `just make me an offer`

and I got it for £10.

So...my next task is to put the dratted thing up, see if its complete and photo it.

I can't wait too see what tent that ends up being! I have become somewhat old tent obsessed, its really fun putting them up for the first time, like opening a really big gift that will either be amazing or a really big flop.

I hadnt even though to look for wool blankets.... But thats a great idea!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
They do turn up on boots, blankets, but charity shops are a better bet, if you have time to trawl them. I must have over thirty piled up, each neatly folded in a sealed rubble sack with falling off labels. I need to go through them all, keep half a dozen to use and a few for chopping up to make stuff and get rid of the rest. It's almost a compulsion, if some one offers me a unused double Whitney and it's not pink or yellow, for 2 or 3 quid I can't help my self. The really sad thing is I'm allergic. My entire childhood until synthetic duvets came along was one long cold symptom. No one could fathom why such a healthy hulking child could have permanent runny nose and sore eyes.

Ah well, antihystermines sort me now and aired wool clothes never bothered me, it's just if there's lots of dust.

ATB

Tom

moforuss

Aug 22, 2011
luton bedfordshire
Hi all,I have quite a lot of old tools that got left to me.I notice a lot of you use citric acid to clean them.My question is can i use any old citric acid or do i need a special one.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've not had a vast amount of luck this week, got to Huddersfield flea on Saturday and only got a panel beaters hammer and a 3/8ths seam folder for a couple of quid each, I got buyers remorse soon after as I was just buying for the sake of it. Any road they have cleaned up well enough, no makers marks to report.

Herself had today off so she took me for a day out via the flea at Accrington. I blew 8 quid on the tool stall which got me a Primus 632 blow torch, looks to be in good nick except it's missing the knob that goes on the end of the pump rod. Push comes to shove I could just use a 5mm nut or can drill and thread something big enough to grip easily. I also got a bog standard screws onto a gas canister Parasene 708 blowlamp, a dinky 6 inch Products Engineering made in the U,S.A. PEC Tools ruler and a Eclipse made in England No. 12 PAd saw handle.. There's a bit of a dent in that but nothing that effects use.

I nearly forgot, what's probably the nicest bit as well, another hand vice, needs cleaning up and maybe a brass washer but it seams to be marked NEWEY 1953 arrow and what could be a stores number. I'll be able to see better when it's been cleaned up.
I'll do a pic when they are all cleaned up.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I went to a very small bootsale on monday (11 cars!!), I bought this replica sabre for £25 and a Tasco 25x30mm Tasco pocket scope for £6 :cool::cool:

LkWb4Vl.jpg

Uot8UTP.jpg

John :)

Lol score!

Is the sabre a 'functioning' replica? Looks very nice. (that scope, if you want it gone I'll bite!)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I'll do up the blowtorch when I have done some research,got any seals etc I may need. Anyroad the others came up nice especially the army issue hand vice.

blow_zpsjh3efexz.jpg

For once there was too much light streaming into the shed. mind the whole house is orientated so it catches the evening sun, being a ex weaving shed!

The ruler just needed a light polish to get some stubborn dirt off it. The hammer was pretty much black all over, the wire wheel cured the head, then a bit of filing to smooth off the face, the handle got a quick once over with the power file then a quick sand followed by a soak in linseed oil.

Thats all folks!

ATb

Tom

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Nice! I still havent come across any, I might have to make the journey up to a couple of the haunts you speak of in your posts.

Still no eyed augers or T handle (corkscrew style) bits either.

I had an almost complete bust today though I could only manage a flying visit early before work and everyone wanted top prices.

I got one Rip cut pannel saw and thats it. Saw a couple tents that were being asked £20+ for and a BSA Meteor Mk2 that they wanted silly money for.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE