More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I got to three today, weather was lovely so no one minded getting up and out by 9 ( there's three teenagers to herd ) but despite two being quite large found absolutely zip apart from a couple of cheap trays for sorting seeds or small parts on. Way it goes some days.

On on the vague note of bargains while I was looking for a decent oblong cabinet scraper on eBay I saw these tiny Sheffield made carving tools for a song.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Piece-U...508894?hash=item1a2016b59e:g:hjwAAOSwuLZY5K6B

free postage so since putting handles on won't be a problem I thought I'd give them a go. When they arrive I'll see if they are worth it. I don't have anything for fine work so they will fill a gap.

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Set them up with 20 degree total included bevel like all the big name bladesmiths.
Will make a comparative judgement easier. Looks like an OK set to start with?

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
A chance visit to a charity shop on my dinner break saw me picking up these very clean Shardlow Micro Meters, sadly missing the 0"-1" which is the one I will use the most..... So the search starts to find a clean one that isnt more than I paid for these.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I got to three today, weather was lovely so no one minded getting up and out by 9 ( there's three teenagers to herd ) but despite two being quite large found absolutely zip apart from a couple of cheap trays for sorting seeds or small parts on. Way it goes some days.

On on the vague note of bargains while I was looking for a decent oblong cabinet scraper on eBay I saw these tiny Sheffield made carving tools for a song.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Piece-U...508894?hash=item1a2016b59e:g:hjwAAOSwuLZY5K6B

free postage so since putting handles on won't be a problem I thought I'd give them a go. When they arrive I'll see if they are worth it. I don't have anything for fine work so they will fill a gap.

ATB

Tom

These look the same as the little gouge that Topknot found on Amazon http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144278

I think they are the Crown tools budget set http://www.crownhandtools.ltd.uk/page39.html that have been mis-ground.

Z

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats looks nifty but a bit complex for my tastes

I went to the Car Boot the other day and found a couple of items for my Horn collection; a shot cup and a fancy horn boat...not one of those tacky 70s ones, but quite an intricate thing of white buffalo horn. Needs a bit of restoration though.

No tools but a bag of old candles, a geology book (pretty essential in Cornwall, to know Geology as well as archaeology) a serpentine jar and one of those 70s Lloyds bank horse head money boxes

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yeah nice score on the sewing machine, never got the hang of them myself.

'not had a lot of joy craft/ outdoors wise , got a army sleeping mat for a quid, already got the lads one for prone with their air rifles so will probably use it for padding pouches and general faffing cut up. Did get a as new Stanley surform but the blade had sat in water and corroded to hell and back, but since I'd picked up a new blade on its card for 50p a while back I got it and slapped the new one on as I got home. The rest of its been arty stuff like two A2 portfolios for a total of 3 quid, and before I discovered they were technically illegal to use / take out I got some genuine South American bolos, carved stone balls in leather cases. From the late 1950s the guy said. They don't have rawhide cords but what would have been then modern nylon filament core inside a woven cotton sheath. Only a fiver so no great loss. I would only have brained myself with them had I tried to learn to use them!

The cheap carving tool blades arrived, look to be ground correctly but I'll fettle them anyway on a superfine diamond stone after the handles are on. I got a carrier bag of assorted handles a few years back the 5 of them will do the job. Not the first water but will do just as good as prettier ones with a bit of sanding.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
OK, not the best in the world but good enough for me and at six quid and a hours faffing they are cheap and all uk made.

Smallcarvers_zpssixxtxq6.jpg

Once the oils cured or whatever you call it ill touch them up on a diamond stone although they are pretty danged sharp as is!

ATB

Tom

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi all

I was just looking through some old pics that I had in a folder and found these crudely decorated horn cups that I bought from the bootsale years and years ago!

I'd forgotten all about them but I thinkl I know where I left them!! I'll seek them out tomozz goodjob

zAgtAYH.jpg

FOwxzGa.jpg

vl0M3r8.jpg

5lQDeAF.jpg

cXFq4aq.jpg

7CcY5b9.jpg

I really like the crude simplicity of them but really don't think I could bring myself to actually drink out of them!! :eek:

John :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well we went out for rat poison, slug pellets and herbs ( all got even if we had to go into Yorkshire to get the latter two ) but since I was passing I popped into my favourite charity shop in town.

There I spied some binnos that hadn't been there yesterday, they look new I says, yes says she behind the counter, the donor said they were a gift but too heavy for her so she never took them out of the house. They are brand new. Um, says I, wife, do you have £15 on you ( like royalty I don't carry money, or not allowed it take your pick) Yes, here you are ( sigh ), thank you I say, and thank you to the lady behind the counter. I force my self to walk serenely from the shop and don't start cackling until I'm safely outside.

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/bresser-diorit-8x56-roof-prism-binocular-p-7155.html

They are absolutely mint and I'm chuffed to bits with them.

photo when I can get iPad to work with photobucket.

AtB

Tom

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Those are a great catch, tombear, I've often looked at them but there's always something else further up the pecking order wiating to gobble up the pennies, eh? Great score!

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Well we went out for rat poison, slug pellets and herbs ( all got even if we had to go into Yorkshire to get the latter two ) but since I was passing I popped into my favourite charity shop in town.

There I spied some binnos that hadn't been there yesterday, they look new I says, yes says she behind the counter, the donor said they were a gift but too heavy for her so she never took them out of the house. They are brand new. Um, says I, wife, do you have £15 on you ( like royalty I don't carry money, or not allowed it take your pick) Yes, here you are ( sigh ), thank you I say, and thank you to the lady behind the counter. I force my self to walk serenely from the shop and don't start cackling until I'm safely outside.

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/bresser-diorit-8x56-roof-prism-binocular-p-7155.html

They are absolutely mint and I'm chuffed to bits with them.

photo when I can get iPad to work with photobucket.

AtB

Tom

WOW!!

That's a hell of a catch Tom, Bresser make some good stuff!! :cool::cool:

I went to a bootsale this morning and although there was a good turnourt after the rains, I only bought one item, Another breast drill!! It was only a quid too and works fine!

There's a makers mark but I can't make out what it says due to someone slopping paint all over it!! :(

The top one I bought a couple of weeks ago, Both are two speed!

w2EWirK.jpg

95e4R6B.jpg

2obVQdS.jpg

Zafo9fD.jpg

It looks to say KBCA but googling it only returns Baskeball related stuff! I'll have to get the paint off it!!

EDIT-Just had a closer look, It actually says K3CA, On the chuck it says 'Made in Russia'!!

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
WOW!!

That's a hell of a catch Tom, Bresser make some good stuff!! :cool::cool:

I went to a bootsale this morning and although there was a good turnourt after the rains, I only bought one item, Another breast drill!! It was only a quid too and works fine!

There's a makers mark but I can't make out what it says due to someone slopping paint all over it!! :(

The top one I bought a couple of weeks ago, Both are two speed!

w2EWirK.jpg

95e4R6B.jpg

2obVQdS.jpg

Zafo9fD.jpg

It looks to say KBCA but googling it only returns Baskeball related stuff! I'll have to get the paint off it!!

EDIT-Just had a closer look, It actually says K3CA, On the chuck it says 'Made in Russia'!!

I have a breastdrill very like your top one.
Mines a Metabo, made in Germany.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
These bootsales are becoming ratehr expensive!!

I spent around £60 this morning!! :yikes:

Not all tools but i'm happy with what I came home with!!

AGS 3-9x50 Mil-dot scope for a tenner!
5qNaT49.jpg

An excellent gunslip for £15, Like new too!
tPsDNiC.jpg

Another Webley pellet tin but with some .177 cal darts inside, The last one I bought for 50p, This one was £7, The fella wouldn't budge from that too :nono:
sVKR2GN.jpg

Warden Catty (Never heard of these before!) Cost 50p
hwx0dFz.jpg

Mitchell 300a reel, Cost £8
FJckUwq.jpg

Huge Cowhorn (25" straight across!) Cost £4..
lLcDZsn.jpg

A piece of modern art that I thought resembled a Bonsai tree (I'm in to Bonsai!!) Cost £2
caFInfH.jpg

It looks like a bolt of Lightning in the dark though!!
qswAoHJ.jpg

The wife really likes these old types of artwork, Bought the two for £5, Shall have to get them in to nice old frames at some time!
n021Q3g.jpg

There isn't a diagonal line on it, It's the sun shining through the conservatory and onr of the uprights casting a shadow!!
vnPi9Sh.jpg

An Oris cap for £2
Xfj34r6.jpg

Entry fees and sarnies made it up to the £60 mark!!

Anyone else been this morning?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Had family stuff to do so didn't get to a boot at all, shame as the weather was good. Nice find of the gun case, it's the issue one for the Sharp shooter rifle isn't it?

the huge cow horn was a good find too, I only ever seam to find squitty little ones with the holes drilled in inconvenient places.

Must get out next Sunday, the Thursday flea market has gone down hill, got nowt thus last week and I spent one pound in all the 15 or so charity shops I went in in Accrington and Rochdale, and that was just for three pieces of the wife's beloved pottery.

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
johnbaz: you show a piece of 'art work' which looks like a lightning bolt. It is.
Very high voltage power supply, recall that the wood has to be wet.
I'm sorry I have no link but there are (slow-motion) videos on YouTube so that you can watch it happen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE